Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Games converted in homebrew scenario - released, in progress, desired

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:25 am
Last edited by segarule on Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:32 am; edited 2 times in total
mateusbond wrote
There are two versions of 2048 for the SMS:

https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/2048a-SMS

https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/2048b-SMS

Added.

FeRcHuLeS wrote
Hello, I wish these games were ported to the SMS or/and SGG before I suggest to clarify whether the originals games in list are official or homebrew, so avoid misunderstandings, and how the conversions/ports are being made source code available or recreation.

This is Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for the Gameboy/Gameboy Color by Z80artist this homebrew runs smooth maybe 60fps, It could be ported to the SGG and for the SMS using the 6button MD controller as is compatible with Super GB 2players with SNES controllers.

Ported to the MSX2 Ghosts'n Goblins is a recreation of the Arcade by Assembler It seems is using a special graphic card to do so, and a version is running in the Z80.

I think MK3 not possible because GBC have much more memory. Besides, the VDP work different. Ghosts´n´ Goblins i think that is totally possible but not with same sounds.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:19 pm
Yeah, Game Boy uses a highly customized Z80.
Would not be easy to port without rewriting.
(only a few games that were carefully designed for both GB and GG would have shareable code)
Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:54 pm
segarule wrote

I think MK3 not possible because GBC have much more memory. Besides, the VDP work different. Ghosts´n´ Goblins i think that is totally possible but not with same sounds.

Actually, UMK3 is compatible with Gameboy too, so I think the memory would not be a problem, both systems are not that much different though.

GNG is optimized to work with a Z80 and 16K RAM, the VRAM is not mentioned but the minimun for a MSX2 seems to be 64K, wonder if the SMS would be capable of running the game though, embedded RAM maybe as the SMS has half that.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:00 pm
[quote="FeRcHuLeS"]
segarule wrote

Actually, UMK3 is compatible with Gameboy too, so I think the memory would not be a problem, both systems are not that much different though.

GNG is optimized to work with a Z80 and 16K RAM, the VRAM is not mentioned but the minimun for a MSX2 seems to be 64K, wonder if the SMS would be capable of running the game though, embedded RAM maybe as the SMS has half that.

GBZ80 is similar enough to Z80 that, as long as you have the source, you can almost go by simple search and replace; the graphics routines, on the other hand, would have to be redone from scratch.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:34 pm
haroldoop wrote

GBZ80 is similar enough to Z80 that, as long as you have the source, you can almost go by simple search and replace; the graphics routines, on the other hand, would have to be redone from scratch.

I know other MKs for SMS used tile graphics for one character and sprites for another ,wonder if he Game Boy works the same way.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:23 pm
What do we make of multi-platform homebrew like Inufuto's, Caruso's and under4mhz's? Aren't they also ports?

Inufuto's games:

http://inufuto.web.fc2.com/8bit/

Caruso's Cross-Lib games:

https://github.com/Fabrizio-Caruso/CROSS-LIB/blob/master/docs/GAMES.md

under4mhz's games:

https://under4mhz.itch.io/
Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:36 am
mateusbond wrote
What do we make of multi-platform homebrew like Inufuto's, Caruso's and under4mhz's? Aren't they also ports?

Inufuto's games:

http://inufuto.web.fc2.com/8bit/

Caruso's Cross-Lib games:

https://github.com/Fabrizio-Caruso/CROSS-LIB/blob/master/docs/GAMES.md

under4mhz's games:

https://under4mhz.itch.io/

In my opinion, no; Considering that are games created in same window in development. I take in count some period of time after the first release. under4mhz Prince of Persia is counted and is added.
EDIT: Yout forgot the Mojon Twins games but is into the same criteria. I talked with somebody i dont remember the name in competition 2023 thread that claimed the mojon twins will return with SMS games. I love the graphics in mojon twins games.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:15 pm
Another possibility for a future port would be Retro Puzzle Maker: while the source for the editor itself is not available, the source for the ROM that is used by it is open source, under the MIT license: https://github.com/cppchriscpp/nes-puzzle-maker-rom

It looks like it would be possible to create a tool for converting existing Retro Puzzle Maker ROMs to run on the SMS:

- The code is higly data-driven, the editor would generating the ROMs by simply patching an existing, base ROM;
- First, it would be necessary to adapt the existing source to run on SDCC + devkitSMS: the ASM parts seem to be comparably minimal, while most of the important code is implemented in C;
- Then, it would be possible to implement a tool that takes an existing NES Puzzle Maker ROM, extract and convert the resources, and them patch the SMS base ROM with them.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:18 am
Perhaps a game inspired by Folder Dungeon and Binary Battle would be a good idea.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:21 am
I would LOVE to see a port/adaptation of "An Untitled Story" to the SMS.

https://www.mattmakesgames.com/
Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:06 pm
Sega should have gone with Ghouls'n Goblins instead of Ghosts, it would be a near arcade perfect port.
Ghosts should be left only in the Mega Drive.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:28 pm
I'm not following since you have the titles confused.
But I think you are saying they should've ported Ghosts 'n Goblins?

The first game was Ghosts 'n Goblins, the second game was Ghouls 'n Ghosts.
(so much more confusing than Demon Realm Village and Big Demon Realm Village)
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:59 pm

Floatris looks like it could be ported to SMS, even though it would have to use less playfields.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:58 am
Hey Jabberwocky, if I may DM you, about the secret project, I would like to know. If not, I understand.

Also, if anyone needs help with graphics or palettes, I'm more than willing to help.

For a port of Ghosts 'N' Goblins, it would depend if we are able to have enough VRAM for arcade perfect-ish graphics or not (on a tile level, not palette level). I would likely use the Atari ST version's background graphics as a starting point, then add color when able, since that version of the game is 16 colors only, for both sprites and background, while the SMS has 16 for background and 15 (plus a transparent) for sprites, meaning it can already beat that version, since we don't have to share only 16 colors between both sprites and background.

The MSX2 version shown, however, is really nice and likely doable on SMS with little to no graphical reduction.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:48 pm
Bluestreak wrote
For a port of Ghosts 'N' Goblins, it would depend if we are able to have enough VRAM for arcade perfect-ish graphics or not (on a tile level, not palette level). I would likely use the Atari ST version's background graphics as a starting point, then add color when able, since that version of the game is 16 colors only, for both sprites and background, while the SMS has 16 for background and 15 (plus a transparent) for sprites, meaning it can already beat that version, since we don't have to share only 16 colors between both sprites and background.

The MSX2 version shown, however, is really nice and likely doable on SMS with little to no graphical reduction.

I thought mainly the same talking about the graphics, the SMS had been struggling when games where the sprites were big affecting performance I think even very well optimized code would still have performance issues.

The SMS having the tile flip feature would help saving the available memory since GNG flips the backgrounds a lot, maybe I'm wrong but I think GNG would be a near perfect port from MSX2 with a few performance issues and reduced screen size.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!