Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - GG Aleste 3

Reply to topic
GG Aleste 3
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:00 am
*Admin edit* some posts with patches allowing people to generate the leaked GG Aleste 3 ROM from the earlier “protected” ROMs have been removed. We do NOT want to host these patches for now, please do NOT post them directly.

My understanding is that it was first posted on epforums.org in a place I can’t view without registering. We are not the source of this leak! We just like to analyse stuff and play and preserve lovely Sega 8-bit games.

———————————

Can someone create a gg2sms patch for this game. The rom was just dumped an is avail emupardise forum
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:53 pm
Does the ROM work on real GG hardware?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:59 pm
Apparently yes, it’s a regular GG game using the Sega mapper.

As a matter of policy, we will not be posting the ROM, as it’s still technically commercially available (even if only in Japan). Please don’t post it.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:47 pm
can this be patched to run on a SMS
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:21 pm
Thank you so much for getting this game working outside the collection!

Can I assume the person pretending to hold the release of this patch hostage for youtube views has nothing to do with whoever actually did the work?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:02 pm
Révo is merely passing along what was posted elsewhere. He is however working on the GG2SMS patch.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:45 pm
Maxim wrote
Apparently yes, it’s a regular GG game using the Sega mapper.

As a matter of policy, we will not be posting the ROM, as it’s still technically commercially available (even if only in Japan). Please don’t post it.

Very neat. Really hope to see it on cartridge someday...
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:18 pm
SMSPower forums for the win!! Always delivers. Eat your heart out reddit, discord, twitter, w/e else. oldskool forums 4 life :D

This is a glorious day for the history books. GG goodness to the max!! (Ive never played the game, have been waiting this entire time for real hardware version, even though I own the PS4 one hah).

is user "dink" the hero of the story? would love to who to give credit to and the challenges of it all!
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:22 am
segasonicfan, the patch was done by a friend and a friend of a friend :) (they asked to remain anony)
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:15 am
Still working with Revo for GG2SMS, I can not download dumped gg rom from emuparadise.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:44 am
Last edited by eisnerguy1 on Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
So, the rom I should be using is this one, right?
GG Aleste 3 (Japan) (En) (Aleste Collection)
    * Size: 1048576
    * CRC32: 5ae64731
    * MD5: ba860afbf7b7eb2b1ba08c957d44b34c
    * SHA-1: fbef21541adc445c92abf7c92e97088cb073aafa
    * SHA-256: 237a83ba02887699def80d83d94994e0a3a2294775971f8597a42b0b31a11d76

Was the rom that was extracted from the Game Gear Micro the same as the one extracted from the Aleste Collection?
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:42 am
dink wrote
segasonicfan, the patch was done by a friend and a friend of a friend :) (they asked to remain anony)

ah, makes sense. Well tell them I send my anonymous kisses! :*)
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:37 am
Ok finally got it working and spent some time playing on real hardware with OG screen and then a modded system.
This hack is *really* cool and im so glad it runs. That said, can I just say that this game is umm...overrated? My friend told me its the best GG Aleste but Im like this is a far cry from the Compile classics. Graphics are insanely top notch, but thats where the comparison ends for me.

The music is bland uninspired remixes of previous Aleste games, the speed for your ship is set too high and cannot be changed- controls are jumpy and imprecise compared to 1 & 2. The levels dont have much by way of pacing and pattern planning, the "P" icons fall way too fast without the sloping fall that was so satisfactory in the originals, and they are too large. Also theres another red enemy that looks way too similar to the friendly P ship.

The boss battles are huge and cool, but very anti-climactic and seem mostly memorization-based. The power up system also seems a bit flawed...now you get points instead of leveling when you collect the same type of secondary weapon?

and you cant choose which weapon you start with (unlike GG Aleste 2)...

anyway, all old news to people I bet, but this was my first playthrough. It feels like a really cool game thats not yet polished off. Looking forward to the GG shmup in dev right now from the actual GG Aleste 2 maker (programmer? I forgot). I think thats gonna blow this away :)

but hey, SOooOOo happy to have a new GG shmup! and it will likely grow on me in time :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:38 am
I played through it with heavy savestate abuse. There is a lot of sprite flicker, but it didn’t bother me (nothing important is ever invisible, despite sometimes having a huge amount on the screen and maxing out the sprite table). However the slowdown is pretty severe and when you need to dodge so many things, it’s very hard when the game flips between half speed and full speed at a critical time.

Given that the emulators offer an option to play with an overclocked CPU (no slowdown) and disable sprite limits (no flickering), I feel like the game was made to play best in this scenario.

There are a few nice flourishes like a rotating cylinder effect and birds flying in the background at the start of one stage. There’s quite a lot of fake scrolling effects that work very well, and the occasional scroll split effects are nicely integrated into the scrolling stages. The pixel art is extremely good. Overall it’s a very accomplished and polished game visually. I’m not a shmup fan so I can’t comment on the gameplay beyond saying that it’s very beatable in general, but with a few things that are impossible to react to and require you to memorise what’s going to happen in order to react before it happens.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:55 pm
I have just completed the game on my Game Gear. I have been playing this game since launch on Switch, so I know by it heart. Great experience overall, even if there is indeed a lot of slowdown and flicker, but this is the same as in the collection, unless you check options in the emulator.

This is one of the most ambitious games on the console. There is really a lot of content packed in that megabyte. Lots of interesting scrolling effects, huge bosses with animated backgrounds "behind" them, excellent pixel-art and soundtrack. Memorizing is part of these games, no other choice !

My heart remains with GG Aleste 2, which is one of my favorite games ever, but this third entry really pushed the bar. There is a different ending if you play in Special, but this is very challenging. Quite an epic game.

Support the developers if you can, they deserve every penny.

segasonicfan wrote
The power up system also seems a bit flawed...now you get points instead of leveling when you collect the same type of secondary weapon?

The small red P bonus will give you a shield after you collect 20.
The big P (green) will power-up your main weapon.
The various letters will give you corresponding sub-weapon. If you pick the same sub-weapon you already have, it will power-up. There are 3 levels.
When you pick up one of these power-ups, you are invincible for a few frames.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:57 pm
segasonicfan, yea, they really could have done a little better on the music side.
IMO the phrase "don't believe the hype" always applies, I'm getting old.. hehe.

best regards,
- dink
I see now ...
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:37 pm
Maxim wrote
Révo is merely passing along what was posted elsewhere. He is however working on the GG2SMS patch.

And I thought that the patch I found was finished. Thanks for the information regarding this WIP GG2SMS patch!
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:33 pm
Thanks for the awesome info cireza!

dink wrote
segasonicfan, yea, they really could have done a little better on the music side.
IMO the phrase "don't believe the hype" always applies, I'm getting old.. hehe.

best regards,
- dink

yeah, its when they tried to xerox the leader of the newskool we all got fooled :P

actually its a solid 7.5/10 for me right now..just people were acting like "omg 12/10 im dyinggg" so it affected my expectations a bit :P

Here's the new game also from Aleste devs reportedly, that looks a lot more like GG Aleste 2 to me:

https://www.smspower.org/forums/19705-GunstreamUpcomingGGShmup#127042
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:11 am
I found this article informative about the way GG Aleste 3 was developed: https://www.eurogamer.net/how-m2-went-back-to-the-game-gear-for-its-magnum-opus
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:21 am
I played through the game on Switch and GG Micro without savestate and it was a great experience, especially as the leaderboard are putting an emphasis on scoring and I had to learn to play the game properly, memorize patterns and 1-credit it. It has been a while since I went through this for a 8-bit game I don't already know. I would recommend to try playing it without savestates. Hard mode felt too much for my skills tho.

Even though we aren't the source of this "leak", the original post of this thread was linked on Twitter and caused quite a stir among developers and Japanese community. e.g.

https://twitter.com/hor11/status/1682548309649653762

Implying they hoped to be able make a physical release but this is severely compromising them convincing the publisher to make one.

We redacted the original post as we don't want to promote piracy of recently released software. Please consider supporting developers and namely M2 has been doing an excellent job on all kind of retro Sega stuff.

While we have different sensibility in the West and particularly here on this site we are deep into all sorts of emulation geekery, you should know there are people out there who are quite annoyed or hurt by post like this, and by association it can give a bad look to our community. SMS Power has been running for 26+ years and part of the implicit contract is we haven't been bothered by anyone for doing what we do but in exchange we need to stay clean of causing stir and respecting those boundaries, out of respect for other people first but also because it could meaningfully impact us.

I'm posting this stance here and there's no particular need to reply, please don't turn this into a debate.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:18 am
Just out of curiousity. Would it be possible to decrypt the Alex Kidd from Segas Ages in the same way? That version have FM sound and other updates.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:47 am
Last edited by segasonicfan on Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bock wrote
I played through the game on Switch and GG Micro without savestate and it was a great experience, especially as the leaderboard are putting an emphasis on scoring and I had to learn to play the game properly, memorize patterns and 1-credit it. It has been a while since I went through this for a 8-bit game I don't already know. I would recommend to try playing it without savestates. Hard mode felt too much for my skills tho.

Even though we aren't the source of this "leak", the original post of this thread was linked on Twitter and caused quite a stir among developers and Japanese community. e.g.

https://twitter.com/hor11/status/1682548309649653762

Implying they hoped to be able make a physical release but this is severely compromising them convincing the publisher to make one.

We redacted the original post as we don't want to promote piracy of recently released software. Please consider supporting developers and namely M2 has been doing an excellent job on all kind of retro Sega stuff.

While we have different sensibility in the West and particularly here on this site we are deep into all sorts of emulation geekery, you should know there are people out there who are quite annoyed or hurt by post like this, and by association it can give a bad look to our community. SMS Power has been running for 26+ years and part of the implicit contract is we haven't been bothered by anyone for doing what we do but in exchange we need to stay clean of causing stir and respecting those boundaries, out of respect for other people first but also because it could meaningfully impact us.

I'm posting this stance here and there's no particular need to reply, please don't turn this into a debate.

Thanks for this post and background Bock.
I must say, Im really surprised to read this. Weve been waiting years for a physical release on Game Gear with not even the slightest hint that it would happen, ever.

M2 doesn't usually release for old hardware, only modern consoles. One exception to this was the Fantasy Zone 2 arcade PCB remake which had I think had only a handful of boards made at a very premium price.

Has M2 released anything whatsoever indicating a physical release? I for one would love to buy a boxed GG release and patch or no patch I think we all know it would sell like hotcakes (look at the instantly sold out Gleylancer Genesis re-release, for example).

The industry has long been fussy about ROM patches, leaks, fan made titles, and the like. I cant see this patch generating anything but more excitement and support for M2 games.
GG Aleste and GG Aleste II
Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:09 pm
Can both these games start using button 1 and pause on start button....possibly same thing for GG Aleste 3 for the SMS
Makes sense
Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:12 am
csatech31 wrote
Can both these games start using button 1 and pause on start button....possibly same thing for GG Aleste 3 for the SMS

I would think it should be possible? It's an amazing idea.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:57 pm
The patch is far from perfect, 3rd PSG channel doesn't work correctly. It doesn't produce melody notes at all.

Very few people seem to realize it, I only ever saw it mentioned over at /vr/.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:10 pm
standardwinger wrote
The patch is far from perfect, 3rd PSG channel doesn't work correctly. It doesn't produce melody notes at all.

Very few people seem to realize it, I only ever saw it mentioned over at /vr/.

Friend (patch author) said they can't tell the difference between switch and emulated, so .. can you give me more info on this issue? Or better yet, a video of emulated vs switch gg aleste 3, so I can hear the problem? (+ timeindexes where problem is evident :)
once the problem is realized, it can be fixed

best regards,
- dink
Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:18 pm
Let's compare the Wave Clear theme.

This is how it's supposed to sound: youtube(.)com/watch?v=_ooNolJKAuQ

In the first half a second you can hear a falling cascade of two melody voices. Then for the rest of the theme there's an oscilating melody accompanying the main melody which itself also turns into two oscillating voices around the 3s mark.

This is how it sounds using Genesis Plus GX libretro core: mediafire(.)com/file/0hjrwtgcfedbs10/wave_clear_emu.mp3/file

There's no second cascading voice in the first half a second, and there's no oscillating accompaniment for the rest of the theme.

I suspect the 3rd PSG channel is the culprit, because this is how it sounds in this theme: mediafire(.)com/file/rh6org64btru79c/wave_clear_emu_channel_3_only.mp3/file

I can't post links, so just remove parentheses around the dots. I've just noticed, but apologies if my previous message came off a bit rude.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:54 am
The only difference I can hear is the youtube version features stereo panning whereas the Genesis Plus GX sounds mono
Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:49 am
They're both stereo, you can hear the noise channel on the right in both of them.

The issue here is missing notes, so it's an equivalent of missing sprites.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:54 pm
Just wanted to chime in that I noticed the missing notes as well. I own the Aleste Collection and Game Gear Micro white and have been comparing them with the patch. It's great to be able to play the game on actual hardware now, but restoration of the missing sound would make the patch perfect.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:10 pm
Just to clarify again: this was a ROM leak, not a patch. We were not the source of the leak, we are just discussing it. It seems pirates are selling it now, but it’s probably the same buggy sound and maybe buggy/missing functionality in the gameplay.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:13 pm
Understood, guess I got a bit confused on how this all came to be. I understand it's just being discussed here and that this place is not the origin of the leak, just figured I'd share that I notice the buggy sound as well since it seems only one other individual here did.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!