Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear - McWill VER4.0 LCD - Mode Problem

Reply to topic
Game Gear - McWill VER4.0 LCD - Mode Problem
Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:12 pm
TLDR; After installing a McWill VER4.0 LCD into my Game Gear everything works except the behavior of the modes. Holding Start, 1 and 2 at the same time changes from “Doubled Horizontal Resolution, Scaled Vertical” resolution to “Doubled Horizontal Resolution, Scaled Vertical resolution with horizonal scan lines” (which as far as I can tell shouldn’t be a thing). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Long version; Game Gear Model is VA1 837-9024 (single ASIC). I installed a GG cap kit for VA1 models main, sound and power boards from Console5. While doing the recap I inspected all boards for corrosion from leaky capacitors and found a small amount near the number 2 button pad which I cleaned up. I did the suggested burn in and played the GG for a few hours after doing the recap and had no issues. I also checked the 5V rail after the recap, with new batteries, and read it 5.045V with no game running and 4.95V with a game running. I then installed the McWill LCD VER4.0 from Console5, following the instructions provided by Console5. I did not install the optional Video Cartridge Upgrade and did not install the VGA connector. After completing the McWill install I powered up the GG with Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and everything seemed to work. Audio/volume worked, all buttons and the d-pad worked, brightness wheel worked, screen looked great but the left and right of the picture was cut off. In the install instructions it says to hold Start, 1 and 2 to change LCD modes.

This is where I have a problem, holding the three buttons down does something, but not what I expected. Using the pictures on the Console Mods wiki as a reference, it looks like my GG boots into the “Doubled Horizontal Resolution, Scaled Vertical” resolution by default. Holding the three button changes into a mode that is not listed on the wiki. It looks exactly like “Doubled Horizontal Resolution, Scaled Vertical” resolution but with horizontal (not vertical) scan lines. If I continue to hold the three buttons it just flips back and forth between the two modes.

Troubleshooting so far; I confirmed that I was using the correct McWill VER4.0 instructions for VA1 837-9024 Game Gears. I took the GG apart and, very slowly, re-read the McWill instructions carefully checking each step. Everything looked good so I read the instructions, again, and re-soldered every connection. After each solder joint, I cleaned up the flux, inspected with a microscope and tested for bridges and shorts with my DMM. I reassembled the GG and had the same problem. During the McWill install there is an option to tap off of the Up button, so you can hold Start and Up, if you installed the VGA mod. I didn’t install the VGA mod but thought maybe it was stuck in VGA mode. I installed the wire for the Up button and re-assembled. Holding Up and Start does enable VGA mode (or at least turns the LCD off) but didn’t fix my issue. Lastly, I spent hours googling, reading forums and watching youtube but couldn’t find anything similar to my issue.

I hate being the guy who’s first post is asking for help but I hope you can see that I have put effort in trying to troubleshoot this myself and am not just being lazy. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:11 am
I don't know anything about that kit, although have read a little now.

I would suggest if you have got it playing a game and if you appear to be able to switch between two of the LCD modes with the buttons then it's likely that it isn't an installation error on your part.

Are you sure you've got the v4 kit? I get the impression the LCD modes have been added to over the revisions as different references seem to list different numbers of modes.

In your researches have you seen any ways to update the firmware on the board? My very perfunctory researches didn't come back with anything but I only spent 30 seconds searching. Ultimately, it will be firmware which determines the LCD modes and then potentially in combo with the physical hardware revision.

Have you gone back to the vendor you bought it from and suggested it might be faulty? They might be able to help.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:00 pm
Thank you for the reply.

Visually my board matches the photos of the V4 board I've seen but I guess I can't be 100% sure I received the correct version.

I agree with your thoughts about it being a faulty board or at least needing a firmware update. It's too weird that I get some modes while holding the three buttons but not all the modes. Unfortunately I haven't found any information about updating the firmware.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something dumb before I reached out to the vendor. With your reply, other suggestions I've received and all the troubleshooting I've done, I think it's time. I'll post an update with what they say.

Thanks for the help!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!