Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Ripping instruments from YM2413 synthesizers?

Reply to topic
Ripping instruments from YM2413 synthesizers?
Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:31 pm
Sorry if someone's asked this before!

There's quite a few commercial synthesizers that Yamaha made with the YM2413 chip inside, and between them it seems like there's quite a few unique instrument sounds! The PSS-140 for example seems to have 99!!

Would it be possible to get that information out of them, for use in trackers or development?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:45 pm
Yes, I’m sure it’s possible. I thought the keyboards tend to have pin-swapped YM2413 variants, but as the swapping is known it must be possible to attach a logic analyser and watch for the custom instrument registers being programmed.

Note however that you only get to have one at a time on a real or equivalent YM2413.

You might also like this: https://github.com/plgDavid/misc/tree/master/OPLL%20Synth%20Patches which is kind of exactly what you asked for.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:30 pm
Thanks so much, that's awesome that someone has done it already!! Haha now I must start researching how to get these hex values into a tracker as instruments! I've been using Deflemask a lot lately, hopefully there's a way with that..
Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:29 pm
i didn't know that deflemask supports 2-operator chips - actually furnace tracker supports lots of them, not only ym2413

i also don't know if pss140 was the only 2-operator synthesizer, perhaps there are more around (on the 4-operator side we have dx11, dx100, fb01, tx81z, v50, and maybe more - i think someone shared patches from these synthesizers in the furnace server at discord in tfi format )

so i imagine these pss140 patches can be converted into wopl, s3i or any other instrument format that we could easily open from furnace tracker
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!