Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Which (re)programmable SMS cartridge circuits are currently available?

Reply to topic
Which (re)programmable SMS cartridge circuits are currently available?
Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:59 pm
Are there any lists anywhere of what (re)programmable SMS cartridge circuits currently are available either ready made or open sourced designs etc? (as well as programmers)

I'm interested in getting into the homebrew scene, but not worked on electronics stuff since school so don't have the skills or knowhow to make these things from scratch (though would love to start learning), so trying to find out what's already available out there :)

Also thinking about starting a resource website to gather such information into one place (homebrew.tools) to make it easier for others to also get into the homebrew scene.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:07 am
Do you mean a flashcart (ie. a Master Everdrive), or something for mass production?
Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:59 am
Something for "mass" production :) like the Raphnets one:
https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/sms_4Megabit_cartridge_pcb/index.php
Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:53 am
Apart from Raphnet ones, there's the new Doragasu Frugal Mapper
https://www.smspower.org/forums/18946-MinimalSlot2CartridgeDesign

And I remember the retrocircuits one also:
https://www.mortoffgames.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=963
Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:15 am
Thanks kusfo :)
Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:22 am
I've made some boards through years, from 32k to 1Gb. All rewritable (i've also made an "Sms dumper" (to dump/write pcb) which can handle many flash references/manufacturers). Honestly pcbs with more than 1Mb are a little joke, as no dev need them.

Complexity of the mapper scheme depends of your needs ;
only slot 2?, slot1/2, every slots? protection needed against dump ?(custom registers), want to solder them yourself? ... a nice amount of possibilities.

CPLD (like atf1502 etc) are hard to get nowadays with the component shortage, you must buy them 6/12 months in advanced to get them (and are also more expensive than before). Obviously speaking of new parts from retailers like Digikey, Mouser, etc., not crappy desoldered/rebranded ones from aliexpress.
pcb.jpg (210.17 KB)
pcb.jpg

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:43 am
I actually have a couple pcs of one of your boards from a purchase some months ago :), but I hear you no longer offer your boards for sale?

I'm quite new to this stuff and still learning hence why I think putting together an online resource could be a good idea to help others. Right now it feels like information is just scattered all around and it's not easy to get all the info you need in one place :), though there are some nice resources here on SMS Power for sure!

I'm mainly interested in new boards for homebrews, so not sure what the requirements would be there usually in regards to slots (to start I'm thinking games made with KiddEd but later probably devkitSMS games).

As for protection against dumps, I'd say that'd be very low priority. I'm sure certain people would find a way around it eventually anyway? 😅

And ideally as little soldering as possible myself :)

I'd also like to do some games like Alex Kidd BMX Trial with normal controller support and the Japanese version of Enduro Racer for myself

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:39 pm
Wow boards with Altera CPLD, pretty old ^^

I'm not officially selling boards, at least not for everyone to make "simple repro" (that's why there's none on my shop), but for people who need pcb to produce brand new games. Sells are more like 50-100 pcb than 2/3...

In your case, Doragasu's pcb seems to be the more convenient to your needs. Just make attention, it's only slot 2 (so some games will not work on it ; Alex Kidd hacks for example)
Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:43 pm
Peder Johnsen wrote
not sure what the requirements would be there usually in regards to slots (to start I'm thinking games made with KiddEd but later probably devkitSMS games).

a devkitSMS ROM can run on slot-2 only mapper cartridge if you're not using banked code, otherwise you need a slot-1 and slot-2 enabled mapper (and I suspect KiddEd games requires this too).
No mapper is required for 32 KiB games, and 48 KiB games require a 64 KiB ROM cartridge with no mapper, which is a weird thing but possible.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:48 pm
Ah good to know, so for some of the stuff I want his won't be any good :P

Is there a list on here re: games and their slot requirements?

Whichever board I go with, I'll probably want to do a large order (1000+), I'd rather invest for a larger amount for a cheaper price per board than to buy really small batches as and when :-/
Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:50 pm
sverx wrote

a devkitSMS ROM can run on slot-2 only mapper cartridge if you're not using banked code, otherwise you need a slot-1 and slot-2 enabled mapper (and I suspect KiddEd games requires this too).
No mapper is required for 32 KiB games, and 48 KiB games require a 64 KiB ROM cartridge with no mapper, which is a weird thing but possible.

ah thanks for this info :)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!