Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Brazilian SMS 1 in the UK

Reply to topic
Brazilian SMS 1 in the UK
Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:39 pm
So I just moved from Brazil to the UK, and brought along my dear SMS model 1.

It doesn't have s-video (characteristic of the Tec-Toy SMS model 1) and I don't really wanna mod it as it is dear to me - and I don't have the tools for it, nor does anyone have a mod kit for it.

Could anyone recommend me a cable and/or upscaler to have the best image out of lousy RCA into LCD? (it does have a scart connector)
Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 8:05 pm
If your TV has SCART but no RCA composite plugs, you could get up and running with an RCA to SCART passive adapter, those were commonplace around here in the Playstation 1 and 2 era.

I am not sure how different the Brazilian SMS1 is to a European PAL one, though, how does that compare ? Do you get the DIN connector for video out ?
Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 9:27 pm
armixer24 wrote
If your TV has SCART but no RCA composite plugs, you could get up and running with an RCA to SCART passive adapter, those were commonplace around here in the Playstation 1 and 2 era.

I am not sure how different the Brazilian SMS1 is to a European PAL one, though, how does that compare ? Do you get the DIN connector for video out ?

"RCA to SCART passive adapter"? I got this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00006JCXU?ref_=pe_27063361_487360311_302_E_DDE_dt_1

The image is fuzzy as hell.

"DIN connector for video out" - nope, it's just the composite audio and video out :(
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:57 am
The composite signal will have PAL-M encoding so it is hit and miss whether your TV will accept it. Passive converters are indeed just cables with RCA plugs at one end and SCART at the other. Alternatively there are SCART plugs with RCA sockets on them which work with regular RCA cables. Either way it’s just an electrical connection and it’s up to your TV to decide if it will accept the signal.
Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:26 am
Yeah, my LCD accepted it, I played a bit of Hang On yesterday, but the image quality is awful.
Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:51 am
Forge wrote
So I just moved from Brazil to the UK, and brought along my dear SMS model 1.

It doesn't have s-video (characteristic of the Tec-Toy SMS model 1) and I don't really wanna mod it as it is dear to me - and I don't have the tools for it, nor does anyone have a mod kit for it.

Could anyone recommend me a cable and/or upscaler to have the best image out of lousy RCA into LCD? (it does have a scart connector)

welcome to the UK. Here for the good weather? haha.
This website might be useful, there are a few similar companies if you have a search. Good luck
Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 2:21 pm
8BitBoy wrote
welcome to the UK. Here for the good weather? haha.
This website might be useful, there are a few similar companies if you have a search. Good luck

Hehehe After living ~9 years in Canada, yeah, it's an improvement on the "weather" aspect...

Did you mean cable making companies..? Anyway, I couldn't find much to help me. The video output hack for S-video doesn't work because the Tec Toy SMS model 1 used the Motorola MC1377P instead of the Sony CXA1145.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!