Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [Hacks Competition 2023] Snappy Snörg and the Seven Silver Stones by pinkeyeFR

Reply to topic

Rate this entry!

1 (Terrible) 0% 0%
2 0% 0%
3 0% 0%
4 3% 3%
5 0% 0%
6 3% 3%
7 15% 15%
8 42% 42%
9 (Excellent) 34% 34%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Hacks Competition 2023] Snappy Snörg and the Seven Silver Stones by pinkeyeFR
Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:03 pm
https://www.smspower.org/Hacks/AlexKiddInMiracleWorld-SMS-SnappySnorgAndTheSeven...

Squarius is in great danger. Evil forces from the Nightmare World have corrupted the mighty guardians of the seven Silver Stones, threatening to upset the balance between good and evil in the whole universe. Sent by King Kreggy, Snappy Snörg will have to collect the seven stones before their power falls into the hands of evil. Snappy Snörg and the Seven Silver Stones is an Alex Kidd in Miracle World mod done with Kidded.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:41 pm
Last edited by pinkeyeFR on Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hi there.

Here we are, demo 1.4 is now available.

minor changes in level 1 :
- new tutorial screen to learn how to trap enemies
- infinite death loop on screen 5 made impossible

minor changes in level 2 :
- properties changed to "solid" for some metatiles

minor changes in level 6 :
- priority modified for some entities

Thank you all for signaling bugs and helping me provide a better demo :°)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:13 pm
I really like the unique visual style and the laid-back music. The puzzles are quite devious, so I didn’t get very far yet. I will surely return to see more of the game, though.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:51 pm
Kagesan wrote
I really like the unique visual style and the laid-back music. The puzzles are quite devious, so I didn’t get very far yet. I will surely return to see more of the game, though.

It's quite unusual to have puzzles in an Alex Kidd hack, but it's what I wanted. In fact I had the idea for this game when I was "cleaning" 4lex Kidd in Nightmare World before the physical release. I then deleted a few screens that contained puzzles like the ones you can find in Snappy Snörg, but that didn't fit in an Alex Kidd sequel. Once you understand that you need to visit a screen a first time, then prepare the way for your next visit, the game isn't that hard. There sure are a few instances in which timing is crucial though.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:42 pm
Creative use of the Alex Kidd engine as a puzzle platformer, and beautiful graphics.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:04 pm
Nice graphics and an interesting game for sure, the main character reminds me a little of Gargamel.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:47 pm
thatawesomeguy wrote
Nice graphics and an interesting game for sure, the main character reminds me a little of Gargamel.

I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. The first sketch I drew of the main character looked a lot like a one-eyed Homer Simpson, but with sprite size and a limited palette, I had to make some choices, which led me to that shrinked gargamel, indeed.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:07 am
My favourite hack this year, it has so much personality, and sets the tone really early for the upcoming gameplay, which I found really enjoyable as a whole!

I really don't have anything wrong to say about this, this is my jam! Well done!
Can't wait for the complete version!
Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:57 pm
Another awesome project by pinkeye! Snörg is super funny -- I loved his ranting animation when dying! Overall, the cartoonish graphics are very pleasant to the eyes, with plenty of animated tiles all excellently made, and the cream of the crop are the bosses! Level design is very well made, providing a good challenge. This years Kidded project tended to depart a lot from the original source, but this one managed to preserve a little of the AK feeling, which in my oppinion, is a great thing. I see this as a refreshing puzzle-platform AK-series spinoff. Nice work!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:29 pm
This is really special, I love the concept, the artwork and the music although maybe some more variation in the music would be good.

Wonderful concept for a puzzle game - using the flip screen state reset as a game element is a really nice touch.

One complaint: the help text should be skippable or can speed up the transition somehow.

Great work!
Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:57 am
Congrats Pinkeye!

First thing that struck me is the fantastic use of color. Also the small animated NPC's are great. Nice touches are the moving clouds (even though they sometimes bump into block and change direction).

But what amazed me the most, is the clever use of the engine. What a great idea to use castle block memory like that , which makes it a very nice and unique puzzle game

Even though the music is a bit minimalistic, i enjoyed it very much! Which is very much a compliment.

Also the game is extremely polished and has many levels already, so yeah, it's hard to beat that :p
Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:18 am
Thank you all, I'm really glad you liked the game, it being my first original creation, and not inspired by any existing hero or universe.

I've already progressed a lot in the game, a lot more levels are available than the ones I shared in the demo, and I won't need a lot of help from Calindro to get to the end of that project. So hopefully I can deliver a first version of the full game to my testers by the end of the year, and have it released in 2024.

Again,thanks for your support. See you all soon for the release of the 4lex Kidd rom and the ultimate guide that'll go with it!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!