Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Retrocircuits SMS Mini Issue

Reply to topic
Retrocircuits SMS Mini Issue
Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:32 pm
I just got one of these retrocircuits sms mini flash cartridges as well as the programmer. It took me some time to figure out how to add rom files after having trouble disabling indexing on the drive but now it seems to be working. I am able to add rom files and erase them without any issues and on that end everything seems to be working as I've seen demonstrated on YouTube.

The problem I am running into now is that the sms console is not reading the flash card. I'm not even getting the Sega boot screen. The screen flashes once and then remains black. I've tried numerous games and everything works fine as well as trying another console all together. I also tried different rom files and have erased and refreshed the card numerous times. Any ideas why my console won't read the flash card? I'm willing to go down a rabbit hole as long as it's the right one lol. Thanks in advance for your time.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:57 pm
Is the ROM image you are using one with a TMR SEGA header section with a matching checksum? Many console models won't start the game if that is not present. Also, is the game readable (with the same bytes you wrote) from the cartridge via the dumping interface after disconnecting and reconnecting the dumping interface?

Personally I never got it working correctly from macOS. From Linux it worked perfectly. Windows worked after some configuration to inhibit indexing.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:35 pm
The BIOS screen should show for a bad ROM. No screen at all implies something bad. Is the cartridge plugged in backwards?
Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:01 am
bubinatorX wrote
The problem I am running into now is that the sms console is not reading the flash card. I'm not even getting the Sega boot screen. The screen flashes once and then remains black.

This likely means the Z80 is not executing any code, so it might be a short on some pin. BUSRQ maybe?
Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:00 pm
After you program a ROM, power cycle the programmer. Have you compared what appears on the programmer to what you believed you programmed?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!