Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - New (?) Phantasy Star proto screenshot

Reply to topic
New (?) Phantasy Star proto screenshot
Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:57 pm
Have you seen this proto picture before? It's from beep magazine, mentioned in this video (around 14:40).

The maze has two different colors, the top bar showing the enemy's name and HP is different than the final game. Myau doesn't have HP (maybe it was dead?), and the words in the left side seems different than in the final game besides the first one. It also seems like the enemy name is only dragon instead of red dragon.

Any more differences?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:07 am
That seems to cover it. The battle menu is in a different order and one word is different. Personally I think the x1 is clearer than the multiple HP stats they changed it to. The artwork seems identical, apart from the palette.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:36 am
I agree, I also don't like the dungeon's ceiling being in a different color, seems off to me.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:34 am
Via Popfan on Discord:

http://www.space-harrier.com/ps/samp.pdf Here's a bunch more prototype stuff to be found, by the way.

Also, with the prototype monster display as shown, it’s not clear how it would indicate the HP of multiple monsters.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:17 am
True, world map is different in that picture. In this screen why would they put password and continue?

edit: actually it is in the text, they had 4 saves + password at some point, before they scrapped the password system. Kind of odd. And also the idea of having a forth planet...

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:18 pm
PrOfUnD Darkness wrote
In this screen why would they put password and continue?

It's possible that Continue just takes you to the password screen with the last password before you died auto-filled. Some other password-based games did that. Another possibility is that they didn't know if Sega would allow them the battery costs and kept both save systems in until it was decided.

The multi-color dungeons are also really interesting to see. I'm guessing they removed it to free up the colors for the enemy graphics, but it's amazing how just the few extra colors adds so much depth.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!