Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - How does SoundTest work?

Reply to topic
How does SoundTest work?
Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 1:27 am
Okay, I found out about an SMS rom, called "Sound Test". Exactly how do you work this thing? I mean, I know I increase and decrease the volumes using the A and B buttons, the arrows to select channels and stuff, and ENTER key to toggle MUTE. How do you playback a certain channel? I tried all the buttons, but nothing seems to let out a single sound. The emulator's sound IS on, but what button or buttons do I press to play the selected channel? Thanks!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 12:06 pm
> Okay, I found out about an SMS rom, called "Sound Test". Exactly how do you work this thing? I mean, I know I increase and decrease the volumes using the A and B buttons, the arrows to select channels and stuff, and ENTER key to toggle MUTE. How do you playback a certain channel? I tried all the buttons, but nothing seems to let out a single sound. The emulator's sound IS on, but what button or buttons do I press to play the selected channel? Thanks!

Heliophobe's Sound Test demo, allowing emu authors to test out their sound engine, and to experiment with the real thing to increase accuracy. Well...

The important thing to remember is that on the SMS's sound chip, a volume of $F is silent, and $0 is full volume. And, a frequency of $000 is silent. Change one channel to volume $F and then increase the frequency value, and you'll hear it.

Maxim
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!