Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS Box Template

Reply to topic
SMS Box Template
Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:08 am
Last edited by ookamithewolf1 on Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:01 am; edited 4 times in total
I don't know if it's been done before, but here's a full editable PSD template for SMS boxes. It has the following:

All the text and logos already in place and ready for you to edit.
Blank squares for you to clip game screenshots to
Mega-power banner that can be edited
3 seals (light gun, sports pad, light gun + glasses)
6 genre flashes (action - arcade - RPG - family - sports - shooting)
SegaScope 3D logo

The box is not a pixel-perfect duplicate as companies might change things slightly from game to game and not all the box scans i had were the highest quality, however it's probably about 98% accurate and will look fine next to any official game. Feel free to use it for your homebrews and ports. No need to credit, but don't claim you made the template.

It won't let me post a link here to the file so i'll link to it in the replies. (EDIT: thanks for the help everyone. I can post links now, Yay!) here's the Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqk5bl1l9ec3my6/SEGA_Master_System_Cover_Template.psd?...

YOU WILL NEED THESE FONTS!
Sega logo font
Modern No. 20 (it's NOT Times New Roman, although it is quite similar. Modern No 20 is the correct font for most of the box)
Arial (you probably already have it.)

SEGA_Master_System_Cover_Template.zip (53.44 MB)
Zipped PSD

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:14 am
Right, I don't know why it's not letting me post a link to it. The reason given is 'Non-registered or recent users can't post links', but i've been registered here for nearly a year. I can't even post a preview image. Sigh.

To get the file head to Deviantart. My username is the same as here, ookamithewolf1. It'll be in the gallery.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:14 am
ookamithewolf1 wrote
The reason given is 'Non-registered or recent users can't post links', but i've been registered here for nearly a year. I can't even post a preview image. Sigh.

Nice.. Let me help you post the link then :

https://www.deviantart.com/ookamithewolf1/art/SEGA-Master-System-Cover-Template-...
Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:06 am
ookamithewolf1 wrote
The reason given is 'Non-registered or recent users can't post links', but i've been registered here for nearly a year.
The ability to post links is unlocked after a certain (undisclosed) amount of posts, it doesn't depend on when you registered. In fact, that message is slightly misleading, perhaps "recent" should be changed to a more precise word?

Like, "you need a few more active posts before you're allowed to post links". This would also preserve the mystery around the required number of posts (even if we all actually know how much that is).

Anyways, I hate to go off-topic. Let's focus on the box art, please.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:33 am
Why many people still warmful with this template? Why not think about moderns templates? At least Tec Toy did some different art.

But i respect who like it.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:09 am
Maxim also uploaded some basic templates in png format here:
https://www.smspower.org/forums/16010-CoverArtCompetition2016

But really nice, @ookami, I like the idea of a more editable template file!

I note that some original games have a smaller pitch grid on their art than either of these examples. I wonder if anyone's done some box art templates with the smaller grid?
Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:39 pm
Nice work. I’m using a similar template I made in InDesign, but I guess Photoshop is probably more accessible for most people.

I just want to note that the text on the back only looks like your template on US covers. On the European ones, the first lines of the paragraphs don’t have indent, and the multi-language ones use a different font (Arial, if I’m not mistaken) for everything except the headline.

Also, the white background behind the backcover text that covers the grid to make the text more readable is not one giant white box covering everything, but multiple white boxes - one for each line.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:02 pm
Kagesan wrote
Nice work. I’m using a similar template I made in InDesign, but I guess Photoshop is probably more accessible for most people.

I just want to note that the text on the back only looks like your template on US covers. On the European ones, the first lines of the paragraphs don’t have indent, and the multi-language ones use a different font (Arial, if I’m not mistaken) for everything except the headline.

Also, the white background behind the backcover text that covers the grid to make the text more readable is not one giant white box covering everything, but multiple white boxes - one for each line.

Yeah, i noticed the difference. I could have added another layer but figured it's easy enough for someone to switch over to arial as they edit the text. Good catch on the white background, although that's something that each individual would have to change on their end as they write their own text.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:39 pm
Could you attach the file to the forum? DeviantArt blocks it behind a sign up prompt.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:24 am
Last edited by bertodecosta on Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
segarule wrote
Why many people still warmful with this template? Why not think about moderns templates? At least Tec Toy did some different art.
But i respect who like it.

As for me, because it stands out.
We could tell that it's an SMS game even from afar.
Here's an example (a pic of my Street Fighter games collection) :

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:04 am
Maxim wrote
Could you attach the file to the forum? DeviantArt blocks it behind a sign up prompt.

Sorry, I didn't realize Deviantart did that. I Changed it to a dropbox link since it won't let me upload PSD files. (it's also a bit large at 88mb).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:19 am
Thanks - I attached it to your first post.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!