SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Pong Kombat Demake

Reply to topic
Pong Kombat Demake
Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:34 pm
Hello, again;

This is MS-DOS "Pong Kombat" demade for the Sega Master System.

This is a work-in-progress, originally made for the 'So Bad it's Good' Jam 2022

For now, only "Blue Paddle" is available as a character and only "The Pit" is available at the stage.

Blue Paddle's special attack; press fire button four times.

The Pit's stage fatality: press down four times.

itch.io page: https://haroldo-ok.itch.io/pong-kombat-sms-demake
Github repo: https://github.com/haroldo-ok/pong-kombat-demake-sms

The Story

Way way back in time, PONG was invented. And it was Good(tm). The only real player in the game, white paddle, enjoyed playing it, and played it well.

Then, with the advent of color gaming systems, other paddles emerged. White, being the pompous holier-than-thou jerk he is, got all uptight about this and left.

He joined the Pong Lao cult, a group of paddle warriors which held bi-annual tournaments and swap meets. He eventually toppled the Pong Lao leader, taking his throne (a mighty chair of porcelain). With the aid of his new friend, buddy, and bodyguard Monolith, he rules over this years' tournament with an iron... umm... well, paddles lack appendages, so just an iron.

However, with new rainbow-colored paddles from all walks of life and a few old rivals seeking some revenge entering the tournament, he may have his hands full. Hopefully he can turn a few tricks and save his hide. Odds are certainly in his favor, but the forces of Good(tm) have you now.

So don't screw up.

pong_kombat-0.1-2.png (9.55 KB)
Screenshot
pong_kombat-0.1-2.png
pong_kombat-0.1-5.png (9.69 KB)
Screenshot
pong_kombat-0.1-5.png
title.png (3.46 KB)
Title screen
title.png
the_pit_fatality.png (3.92 KB)
The pit fatality
the_pit_fatality.png
pong_kombat-0.2.sms.zip (16.4 KB)
The ROM for version 0.2

Breaktime
Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:44 pm
Ummm...

Was developing the game of the next year competition, when entered in smspower to see what's new, and take a break time. And found this, Harold!

Well done!, Like the creepy setup, were this game published for msdos??? really??? xD

The first thing i though is that, when you lose a ball, a pcm scream should play for a seconds to increase the ambient. (Something similar to msx yabyum game, when you lost a life)... if not, a horrible, strong, sound could do the trick!

Is this a game gear game? maybe the title letters are too small for such a small screen!!!

Found that you could put a more coloured background, you don't use all the available palette!!!

pd. Liked the ball sprite!!!
Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:47 pm
pd2. is it possible to win the game???

pd3. maybe the game breaks when you lost, when the finish him title appears.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:51 pm
pd4. May could be interesting a calendar with jams where one can produce a master system rom to participate, like this. I was on vacation during that days, could have been interesting for me to make a minirom :(
Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:26 pm
Hello, eruiz00; thanks for the review!

eruiz00 wrote

Was developing the game of the next year competition, when entered in smspower to see what's new, and take a break time. And found this, Harold!

Well done!, Like the creepy setup, were this game published for msdos??? really??? xD

The first thing i though is that, when you lose a ball, a pcm scream should play for a seconds to increase the ambient. (Something similar to msx yabyum game, when you lost a life)... if not, a horrible, strong, sound could do the trick!

Is this a game gear game? maybe the title letters are too small for such a small screen!!!

Found that you could put a more coloured background, you don't use all the available palette!!!

pd. Liked the ball sprite!!!

Yes, that MS-DOS game was incredibly funny. I even managed to rip the sound files and backgrounds from the original, but didn't apply them to the current game, yet.

eruiz00 wrote
pd2. is it possible to win the game???

pd3. maybe the game breaks when you lost, when the finish him title appears.

Well, you can win, sorta... for now, the CPU player is a bit too good, which means you won't be able to get the ball past it; on the other hand, it does not dodge special attacks, which means you can cheese the battle by spamming the special attack (fire button 4 times).

After winning, for now, all you can do is use the stage fatality (down four times).

eruiz00 wrote
pd4. May could be interesting a calendar with jams where one can produce a master system rom to participate, like this. I was on vacation during that days, could have been interesting for me to make a minirom :(

Yes, that would be interesting.

I generally look manually through itch.io's calendar:
https://itch.io/jams/upcoming

While some jams may require one to code for a certain platform or using a certain tool, most of them don't really care how you make the game, as long as it follows the requirements.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!