SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear Shorts Out

Reply to topic
Game Gear Shorts Out
Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:45 am
Hi everyone!

I am currently hitting a wall with my Game Gear, and I hope that you can help me out in here.
I bought this thinking it would be a easy recap, but I could not have been more wrong.

After doing the recap, I got a screen for 2 seconds, and then just a flashy sprites all over. Sound would work occasionally for 5 seconds or so.

3/5 times I would see the "Produced under license by Sega" blue screen, followed by the "SEGAAA" sound", and then flashy screen or just a blank one.

I went ahead an removed all the caps, and I have a few shorts around the board (Marked with red circles).

If anybody have any idea what is going on here, please help me out.
Would really like to get this one running again.

Thanks!
GameGear.jpeg (2.27 MB)
GameGear.jpeg
GG1.jpg (3.29 MB)
GG1.jpg
GG2.jpg (3.3 MB)
GG2.jpg
GG3.jpg (2.89 MB)
GG3.jpg
GG4.jpg (2.81 MB)
GG4.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:14 am
To clarify, when you say you have shorts, you are measuring resistance with a digital voltmeter across the pads where the capacitor was, and are reading 0 ohms? Are you measuring with the battery connected or disconnected?

You haven't circled all the removed capacitors, does that mean you are not reading 0 ohms across the removed components on the non-circled ones? What are you reading across those?

How did you decide which capacitors to remove, are you following some kind of guide or using a schematic, or did you just remove all the ones which looked as if they were polarised / electrolytic?
Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:34 am
willbritton wrote
To clarify, when you say you have shorts, you are measuring resistance with a digital voltmeter across the pads where the capacitor was, and are reading 0 ohms? Are you measuring with the battery connected or disconnected?

You haven't circled all the removed capacitors, does that mean you are not reading 0 ohms across the removed components on the non-circled ones? What are you reading across those?

How did you decide which capacitors to remove, are you following some kind of guide or using a schematic?

I apologize if this post didn't make much sense.
Anyway, I'll try to answer your question here:

So the image with all the red circles contains all the capacitors which have continuity on my multimeter when checking the pads. The reading I get from them is around .205 to .215 ohms.

Tbh, I figured at the time that if some of them was shorting, I might just remove everything and see if I could spot the error, but it seems to continue even without caps in the system.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:25 pm
Okay, so before you took the caps off, you were reading a short across some of them, and so you took them all off but even with them all removed you still get the short? Are you still definitely reading the short across every single one of the caps you removed?

It might be a tough one to track down, since all but one of those caps are across the power supply (according to a schematic I found elsewhere) and that is indeed a low resistance. It's a little curious that you managed to get anything out of the system at all with what looks like a hard short across the power supply. Again - can you just confirm that you are making your measurements without a battery or external power supply attached? Also without a cartridge inserted?

That you also read a short across C49 is a little confusing since that's not across the supply - do you still read close to 0 ohm there? (C49 is centre left of the unit with volume knob to the left)

One possibility that's worth considering is that you might have a bit of metal or something inside the cartridge slot, which could explain if the fault is intermittent and that you were seeing something useful on screen when you (presumably) had a cartridge inserted. Can't remember how accessible things are on the GG, but you could shine a torch in the slot and maybe have a go blowing it out with compressed air or something to see if there's something in there shorting across the supply.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:55 pm
willbritton wrote
Okay, so before you took the caps off, you were reading a short across some of them, and so you took them all off but even with them all removed you still get the short? Are you still definitely reading the short across every single one of the caps you removed?

It might be a tough one to track down, since all but one of those caps are across the power supply (according to a schematic I found elsewhere) and that is indeed a low resistance. It's a little curious that you managed to get anything out of the system at all with what looks like a hard short across the power supply. Again - can you just confirm that you are making your measurements without a battery or external power supply attached? Also without a cartridge inserted?

That you also read a short across C49 is a little confusing since that's not across the supply - do you still read close to 0 ohm there? (C49 is centre left of the unit with volume knob to the left)

One possibility that's worth considering is that you might have a bit of metal or something inside the cartridge slot, which could explain if the fault is intermittent and that you were seeing something useful on screen when you (presumably) had a cartridge inserted. Can't remember how accessible things are on the GG, but you could shine a torch in the slot and maybe have a go blowing it out with compressed air or something to see if there's something in there shorting across the supply.

I bought it, and it had leaked caps, those were all changed to new ones.
However the Game Gear did not boot up correctly afterwards.

I then checked for continuity and all the caps in red circle have continuity on them, the others doesn't.
No power supply/batteries are plugged in while checking.

C49 has continuity and a read of .251ohms.
Have just used compressed air on the cartridge port, as well as visually inspected it but all seems good there.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:42 pm
So what state is the board in now, is it populated with all new caps, or did you remove all the caps you installed? Did you take continuity readings at the point when all the caps were removed (i.e. when you took the photograph)?
Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:10 pm
willbritton wrote
So what state is the board in now, is it populated with all new caps, or did you remove all the caps you installed? Did you take continuity readings at the point when all the caps were removed (i.e. when you took the photograph)?

I removed all the new caps in order to try to locate the short.
A few images of the board when it had all caps installed:
GG3.mp4 (7.33 MB)

GG1.jpg (3.29 MB)
GG1.jpg
GG2.jpg (4.14 MB)
GG2.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:56 pm
Thanks for the extra info, and sorry for all the questions!

Man, I'm a bit baffled by this. I still think that if you really had a hard short across your power supply when you first powered it up you'd be in a bad place and couldn't possibly have seen anything on the screen as you did.

This leads me to believe one of three options:

1. Your measurement of the short is erroneous - maybe check your multimeter with some known resistances in case there's a fault with it?
2. The short condition has arisen since you removed the capacitors, possibly because of the process of installing and removing the capacitors - check for any solder strands or bridges you may have left behind; even an almost microscopically thin solder strand can cause a short. You might check not only the empty pads but other components near them to see if you accidentally dropped a blob of solder across some other component.
3. It isn't really a short circuit at all but something that looks like one, although tbh I'm not sure what it could be here. If you still had charged capacitors in circuit then I'm almost certain that the act of probing for resistance would have discharged them. I can't really think of what else could be causing something that looks like a constant short.

My money's on the second option, so if it were me I'd painstakingly go over the board looking for some debris or stray solder. If that's not it, then of course there's a possibility that any one of the remaining components has shorted out, which would be a very tough thing to troubleshoot.

Sorry I can't offer much more, I'll keep thinking about it and get back if I have a brainwave. Otherwise, good luck, hope you can get it working!

EDIT: if there really is a short you might be able to track it down by systematically measuring different points in the circuit in relation to a single known reference point, e.g. some ground point near to where the power supply enters the board. You'll find that although you get continuity, the measured resistance will vary slightly at different points around the board. The lower the resistance, the closer to the other side of your short you'll be.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:19 pm
willbritton wrote
Thanks for the extra info, and sorry for all the questions!

Man, I'm a bit baffled by this. I still think that if you really had a hard short across your power supply when you first powered it up you'd be in a bad place and couldn't possibly have seen anything on the screen as you did.

This leads me to believe one of three options:

1. Your measurement of the short is erroneous - maybe check your multimeter with some known resistances in case there's a fault with it?
2. The short condition has arisen since you removed the capacitors, possibly because of the process of installing and removing the capacitors - check for any solder strands or bridges you may have left behind; even an almost microscopically thin solder strand can cause a short. You might check not only the empty pads but other components near them to see if you accidentally dropped a blob of solder across some other component.
3. It isn't really a short circuit at all but something that looks like one, although tbh I'm not sure what it could be here. If you still had charged capacitors in circuit then I'm almost certain that the act of probing for resistance would have discharged them. I can't really think of what else could be causing something that looks like a constant short.

My money's on the second option, so if it were me I'd painstakingly go over the board looking for some debris or stray solder. If that's not it, then of course there's a possibility that any one of the remaining components has shorted out, which would be a very tough thing to troubleshoot.

Sorry I can't offer much more, I'll keep thinking about it and get back if I have a brainwave. Otherwise, good luck, hope you can get it working!

EDIT: if there really is a short you might be able to track it down by systematically measuring different points in the circuit in relation to a single known reference point, e.g. some ground point near to where the power supply enters the board. You'll find that although you get continuity, the measured resistance will vary slightly at different points around the board. The lower the resistance, the closer to the other side of your short you'll be.

Thank you!
Yea I recorded a video of the shorts here:

Think I had the probes the wrong way around on C47, but you get the point.

The motherboard is very clean. Gave it toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol as well as compressed air.
I have inspected this board a thousand times, but I cannot see anything shorting it anywere.

I was wondering, if this could be the effect of some water damage or something?
Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:42 pm
Thanks for that video - useful!

Okay, I was just reading the instruction manual for your multimeter and something caught my eye:

5.5 DIODE & CONTINUITY TEST
1. Set the function range switch to the position.
2. Connect the black test lead to "COM" terminal and red test lead to V/OHM input terminal; (Note: the polarity of
the red test lead is "+").
3. This range has an "AUDIBLE CONTINUITY TEST" function. Built-in buzzer sounds if the resistance between
the two probes is less than 30±10Ω.
4. Connect the test leads across the diode and read the display value.
Note:
a. When the input is not connected, i.e. at open circuit, the figure "1" will be displayed
b. Test condition: Forward DC current approx 1mA. Reversed DC voltage approx. 2.8V
c. The meter displays the forward voltage drop and displays figure "1" for overload when the diode is
reversed.

So I'm actually wondering whether the value you're seeing on the display really is a resistance measurement. Perhaps you could switch to non-continuity resistance mode (start with 200 ohm) and make the measurements again - see whether it's reading the same values?

Otherwise, makes sense that C42 and C45 are showing an open circuit.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:31 pm
willbritton wrote
Thanks for that video - useful!

Okay, I was just reading the instruction manual for your multimeter and something caught my eye:

5.5 DIODE & CONTINUITY TEST
1. Set the function range switch to the position.
2. Connect the black test lead to "COM" terminal and red test lead to V/OHM input terminal; (Note: the polarity of
the red test lead is "+").
3. This range has an "AUDIBLE CONTINUITY TEST" function. Built-in buzzer sounds if the resistance between
the two probes is less than 30±10Ω.
4. Connect the test leads across the diode and read the display value.
Note:
a. When the input is not connected, i.e. at open circuit, the figure "1" will be displayed
b. Test condition: Forward DC current approx 1mA. Reversed DC voltage approx. 2.8V
c. The meter displays the forward voltage drop and displays figure "1" for overload when the diode is
reversed.

So I'm actually wondering whether the value you're seeing on the display really is a resistance measurement. Perhaps you could switch to non-continuity resistance mode (start with 200 ohm) and make the measurements again - see whether it's reading the same values?

Otherwise, makes sense that C42 and C45 are showing an open circuit.

The multimeter is one from Aliexpress, so obviously not top of the line, but it have been working quite well for little projects here and there.

In 200ohms mode I get absolutely nothing on any of the pads.

I would really like to take the oppertunity to say thank you for all the help so far!
Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:17 pm
Madsmaten wrote

Ah, now that is interesting! Try changing it to 2k and measuring across C49 - it should read 470 ohm. If it does, and if the same resistance triggers your continuity reading, then I'm starting to think that your short isn't a short at all...
Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:22 pm
willbritton wrote
Madsmaten wrote

Ah, now that is interesting! Try changing it to 2k and measuring across C49 - it should read 470 ohm. If it does, and if the same resistance triggers your continuity reading, then I'm starting to think that your short isn't a short at all...

I get .466? Close enough?

I don’t understand tho…
Why did it act like there was a continuity read?
Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:43 pm
Madsmaten wrote

Bad meter!!!

But, maybe good news for your Game Gear...

As suspected, the original problem almost certainly wasn't a short circuit. Since the meter does at least seem to measure resistance properly on the 2k setting, you should be able to verify that there isn't a short circuit across any of the capacitor pads. Assuming you can indeed confirm that, my suggestion would be to carefully re-install the new electrolytics and power up again. If there is still a problem, then at least you know it has a different cause and can start a new investigation.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:49 am
willbritton wrote
Madsmaten wrote

Bad meter!!!

But, maybe good news for your Game Gear...

As suspected, the original problem almost certainly wasn't a short circuit. Since the meter does at least seem to measure resistance properly on the 2k setting, you should be able to verify that there isn't a short circuit across any of the capacitor pads. Assuming you can indeed confirm that, my suggestion would be to carefully re-install the new electrolytics and power up again. If there is still a problem, then at least you know it has a different cause and can start a new investigation.

Can’t believe I spend all this time on a non-issue :D

Haha, wow mann you are a real hero!
Will solder the caps back in tomorrow and post the results
Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:51 am
Game Gear is back together again, but unfortunately have the same issues as before.

I borrowed a Oscilloscope from a colleague, but honestly have no idea what I am doing. I made a short video of it here:

If anybody can see anything odd, let me know!
Or if I should test somewhere differently.

Thank you!
Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:26 am
Probably not realistic to try and remotely diagnose your board just watching a video of you probing with a scope like that, but might be useful at some point if we find a reasonable culprit, so good to have to hand!

Right, let's start with the basic symptoms:

1. I assume you're inserting a cartridge - to my recollection the GG doesn't do anything at all if there's no cartridge inserted. Now, do you know for sure that the cartridge works; or have you tried multiple cartridges in the same unit and are seeing the same behaviour?

2. Give a little more info on the exact behaviour - specifically I'm wondering if you're seeing the unit continuously reboot, or does it do the splash screen just once and then random stuff after that? If it's not rebooting continuously, what happens if you just wait - do you ever see glimpses of something that looks like the game? Similarly with the sound: do you ever hear snippets of game sound?

3. What is happening with the screen and the backlight while all this is going on? Does the screen look like it's constantly showing something, albeit garbage, or does it go completely blank at all? Is the fluorescent backlight on the whole time, does it flicker or go out?

4. Do any of the LED indicators on the board (is there just one of them?) flicker at all or do they stay steady?

5. Lastly, what is your power supply situation? Do you have the battery connected, or are you just using the power adapter? I'm not sure if the unit will run without the battery connected, but if so you might want to try the 3 combinations of just battery, just power adapter and both to compare whether there's any difference in behaviour.

Having said what I said about the scope, one thing I would check straight out is the master clock, which you should be able to probe here on one side of R24 as indicated in the picture below.

Not sure on the capabilities of your scope there, but ideally it will be able to tell you what the frequency is, also you can adjust the vertical and horizontal scale to get two or three cycles on the window so you can look at the shape of the trace. If you can't get a stable trace, you may need to set the trigger value lower. Since we're looking at the crystal here the voltages won't be full swing so you'll need to play around to get something decent looking.

In general when you're probing you want to take a ground reference as close as possible to your measurement point, rather than using a long lead to connect to a common ground somewhere else on the board; in this case the other side of R24 should be perfect. If you happen to have the type of probe with a little spring clip you can attach for the ground point, that would be ideal, but I don't know what you've got there.
r24.jpg (118.75 KB)
r24.jpg

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:01 am
willbritton wrote
Probably not realistic to try and remotely diagnose your board just watching a video of you probing with a scope like that, but might be useful at some point if we find a reasonable culprit, so good to have to hand!

Right, let's start with the basic symptoms:

1. I assume you're inserting a cartridge - to my recollection the GG doesn't do anything at all if there's no cartridge inserted. Now, do you know for sure that the cartridge works; or have you tried multiple cartridges in the same unit and are seeing the same behaviour?

2. Give a little more info on the exact behaviour - specifically I'm wondering if you're seeing the unit continuously reboot, or does it do the splash screen just once and then random stuff after that? If it's not rebooting continuously, what happens if you just wait - do you ever see glimpses of something that looks like the game? Similarly with the sound: do you ever hear snippets of game sound?

3. What is happening with the screen and the backlight while all this is going on? Does the screen look like it's constantly showing something, albeit garbage, or does it go completely blank at all? Is the fluorescent backlight on the whole time, does it flicker or go out?

4. Do any of the LED indicators on the board (is there just one of them?) flicker at all or do they stay steady?

5. Lastly, what is your power supply situation? Do you have the battery connected, or are you just using the power adapter? I'm not sure if the unit will run without the battery connected, but if so you might want to try the 3 combinations of just battery, just power adapter and both to compare whether there's any difference in behaviour.

Having said what I said about the scope, one thing I would check straight out is the master clock, which you should be able to probe here on one side of R24 as indicated in the picture below.

Not sure on the capabilities of your scope there, but ideally it will be able to tell you what the frequency is, also you can adjust the vertical and horizontal scale to get two or three cycles on the window so you can look at the shape of the trace. If you can't get a stable trace, you may need to set the trigger value lower. Since we're looking at the crystal here the voltages won't be full swing so you'll need to play around to get something decent looking.

In general when you're probing you want to take a ground reference as close as possible to your measurement point, rather than using a long lead to connect to a common ground somewhere else on the board; in this case the other side of R24 should be perfect. If you happen to have the type of probe with a little spring clip you can attach for the ground point, that would be ideal, but I don't know what you've got there.

1: Have two cartridges, I know one of them works for sure. But none of them function in this Game Gear.

2: It's random what I see. Somtimes white / black screen, sometimes artifacts, sometimes random sprites.
Pretty often see the blue screen "This game is produced from license with Sega" screen.

3: Backlight works perfect, turns on everytime fairly bright.

4: Only red LED in the front works perfect as well.

5: I have been using both batteries and a Sega Power Supply.
Both show exactly the same results.

Interestingly whenever I try to scope that pad you specified the Game Gear shuts down?
Been using the big ground pad on the right to the R24.
Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:49 am
Madsmaten wrote
2: It's random what I see. Somtimes white / black screen, sometimes artifacts, sometimes random sprites.
Pretty often see the blue screen "This game is produced from license with Sega" screen.

And if you see the "...license with Sega" screen, say, does it stay there or does it disappear? If it disappears, what happens afterwards, does it ever reappear?

Madsmaten wrote
Interestingly whenever I try to scope that pad you specified the Game Gear shuts down?

When you say it shuts down, what do you mean? Does the screen suspend, or does everything (including LED and backlight etc.) just turn off? What happens when you remove the probe from the pad, does it turn back on again? Do you get a reading on the scope at all?
Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:13 am
willbritton wrote
Madsmaten wrote

And if you see the "...license with Sega" screen, say, does it stay there or does it disappear? If it disappears, what happens afterwards, does it ever reappear?

Madsmaten wrote

When you say it shuts down, what do you mean? Does the screen suspend, or does everything (including LED and backlight etc.) just turn off? What happens when you remove the probe from the pad, does it turn back on again? Do you get a reading on the scope at all?

License screen disappears, and either goes to black or glitched out sprites.

Backlight turns off as well as the red LED.
I can get a very brief read on the oscilloscope, but only a second or so.

Boot sequence:

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:44 pm
Thanks again for the videos, very useful.

I'm not quite sure why probing that point should be causing the console to lose power entirely - that's pretty dramatic - and looks like it stays off, I guess until you restart it...huh.

But the interesting thing is you do get a legible and very steady looking BIOS splash screen (which to my understanding only shows if the TMR SEGA cart header is detected), as well as an audio Sega jingle. This suggests to me that all the major components of the system are broadly functional and I'm at a bit of a loss why it seems to crap out specifically at the point that it does.

I see you probing D0 which is pin 13 of CN1 at around 1:20 in this video and there's a lot of activity on it, which suggests to me that the CPU is busy doing something - i.e. not just stalled or halted or powered down.

I think if I were in your shoes right now I'd probably just double-check I'd installed all the capacitors with the right polarity and with the correct values, and then I don't know, I'd probably think about flashing some basic test cartridge ROMs to try and test out functionality one thing at a time, but I don't suppose you're in a position to flash your own carts are you?

One other thing I might play around with, if I were feeling bold, is point M9 on the back of the board is connected to the ~WAIT signal for the CPU. If you were to solder a little dangling jumper wire to M9 you should be able to freeze the CPU by connecting it to GND. That will enable you to read all the bus pins individually in a frozen state and start to piece together what the system is up to. That's assuming you don't have access to a full logic analyser which would allow you to record the system running in real time.

Otherwise, I'm running a little low on ideas for the time being. Will have a think and get back to you if I think of anything else to try.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:36 pm
willbritton wrote
Thanks again for the videos, very useful.

I'm not quite sure why probing that point should be causing the console to lose power entirely - that's pretty dramatic - and looks like it stays off, I guess until you restart it...huh.

But the interesting thing is you do get a legible and very steady looking BIOS splash screen (which to my understanding only shows if the TMR SEGA cart header is detected), as well as an audio Sega jingle. This suggests to me that all the major components of the system are broadly functional and I'm at a bit of a loss why it seems to crap out specifically at the point that it does.

I see you probing D0 which is pin 13 of CN1 at around 1:20 in this video and there's a lot of activity on it, which suggests to me that the CPU is busy doing something - i.e. not just stalled or halted or powered down.

I think if I were in your shoes right now I'd probably just double-check I'd installed all the capacitors with the right polarity and with the correct values, and then I don't know, I'd probably think about flashing some basic test cartridge ROMs to try and test out functionality one thing at a time, but I don't suppose you're in a position to flash your own carts are you?

One other thing I might play around with, if I were feeling bold, is point M9 on the back of the board is connected to the ~WAIT signal for the CPU. If you were to solder a little dangling jumper wire to M9 you should be able to freeze the CPU by connecting it to GND. That will enable you to read all the bus pins individually in a frozen state and start to piece together what the system is up to. That's assuming you don't have access to a full logic analyser which would allow you to record the system running in real time.

Otherwise, I'm running a little low on ideas for the time being. Will have a think and get back to you if I think of anything else to try.

Yes! This Game Gear is a little drama queen!

Caps are correctly installed, I have checked several times (and installed them twice already).
One thing in the installation guide and the caps I recieved was that the voltage on some of them didn't match the same value of the orignals.
But as far as I understand the uF is what matters, not the actual voltage? It can be over, but never under right?
Should I try another cap set? I've notice you can get small ceramic ones, which looks really clean ngl.

Unfortunately no chance that I can flash my own cartridges for the Game Gear atm. This is my first time working on the console.

Well definitely try to freeze the CPU via the M9 next time I work on the console (Will keep you posted).

Thank you so much for all the help and time you put into this! Feel like I learn something constantly about this system, but it's so tricky to find the error atm.

Anyway, cheers and thanks once again.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:26 pm
Madsmaten wrote
One thing in the installation guide and the caps I recieved was that the voltage on some of them didn't match the same value of the orignals.
But as far as I understand the uF is what matters, not the actual voltage? It can be over, but never under right?
Should I try another cap set? I've notice you can get small ceramic ones, which looks really clean ngl.

Yes, you're right that the capacitance is what's important here. The max. voltage rating of all your capacitors will be well in excess of the +5V supply here. The only possible problem you might find is if there are any attached to the 34V LCD driver circuitry or the high voltage fluorescent backlight driver circuitry. I can see you've used some 50V rated caps in your photo, which should be enough for those applications.

In any case, electrolytics just tend to just blow up rather violently when you put too much voltage across them; I don't think you'd see the kind of problems you're seeing.

You can indeed get small ceramic capacitors these days in much higher capacitances than back in the day, and depending on the pad spacing you may find you can even use some lovely little surface mount devices which would be much neater than soldering radial legs to pads, but you do need to be careful about the lower voltage ratings with SMD capacitors.

Big electrolytics tend to have significantly higher equivalent series resistances and inductances than small ceramics, which is normally a bad thing, although with an old design like this I would be slightly cautious about replacing components in circuits which may have been tuned based on the original equivalent values. That said, we're not exactly talking rocket science here, and in all likelihood you could replace them with equivalent ceramic caps and not see any difference.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:10 pm
willbritton wrote
Madsmaten wrote

Yes, you're right that the capacitance is what's important here. The max. voltage rating of all your capacitors will be well in excess of the +5V supply here. The only possible problem you might find is if there are any attached to the 34V LCD driver circuitry or the high voltage fluorescent backlight driver circuitry. I can see you've used some 50V rated caps in your photo, which should be enough for those applications.

In any case, electrolytics just tend to just blow up rather violently when you put too much voltage across them; I don't think you'd see the kind of problems you're seeing.

You can indeed get small ceramic capacitors these days in much higher capacitances than back in the day, and depending on the pad spacing you may find you can even use some lovely little surface mount devices which would be much neater than soldering radial legs to pads, but you do need to be careful about the lower voltage ratings with SMD capacitors.

Big electrolytics tend to have significantly higher equivalent series resistances and inductances than small ceramics, which is normally a bad thing, although with an old design like this I would be slightly cautious about replacing components in circuits which may have been tuned based on the original equivalent values. That said, we're not exactly talking rocket science here, and in all likelihood you could replace them with equivalent ceramic caps and not see any difference.

A little update on all of this!
So like all sane persons would do, I went out a purchased 2 more broken Game Gears.
One of them is a VA4 from USA (Not sure how it ended up here in Europe), that shuts down seconds in to booting (Does have new caps).
Pretty sure the screen is toast tbh, but difficult to say. Will put that one to the side for now and focus on the one I have been working on.

The second broken Game Gear I bought is a VA1, just like the one I have been working on so far.
In fact I think they are totally similar in all components.
The console boots! And games are actually playable, sound and buttons works as well. However the screen have dead color lines running down the left section of it.

Previous owner did a terrible job installing the new capacitors! Just looking at it makes my skin crawl, you have been warned!!!
I find it rather tragicomic that the console I have taken such care about, cleaning, testing and solder everything with nice clean solder joints and good caps, is the one which doesn't work.
And then this Game Gear which has burned pads, smells of melted plastic (Check the cartridge connector), have cold solder joints all over is actually working just fine :D :D :D
Will definitely take care of this one and fix it properly, as I simply cannot stand the look of this repair.

Anyway. I suppose I can go two ways with this now.
Try to fix the "original" Game Gear which still doesn't boot anything, and then use the working one to cross reference everything.
Even if it is non-fixable, I suppose I could remove the working screen from it, and put in to the other working one.
That way I will at least have one working Game Gear at some point.
Is it very difficult to remove the screen ribbon, and attach it to another board? Seems doable, but I am worried whether that ribbon is a bit flimsy when removing..

I'll attached a few photos.
THESE SOLDER JOINTS ARE NOT MY WORK!
Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:24 am
Ive removed and replaced the screens before. Bit of a pain in the ass but doable. Take the tape off the back side first. Start at one end and work your way along. Be careful with any pressure you put on it though as its easy peel a pad/track off on both the pcb and the lcd flex. Also start with a cold iron and work your way up in temp untill you find where the solder melts. If you go in too hot the lcd flex melts. Practice on the dead lcd before working on a good one and youll get a feel for it.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:11 am
Madsmaten wrote

So like all sane persons would do, I went out a purchased 2 more broken Game Gears.

Haha, this made me chuckle!

I’ve never replaced a screen on a GG before so will gladly defer to wasup’s experience, but I would add that I’ve had plenty of old brittle flexible ribbons tear on me (and from devices considerably newer than those Game Gears) so be very careful when physically handling the ribbon on the screen you want to keep. If you can, try to avoid twisting it and keep the plane of movement squarely across the ribbon so it’s being loaded evenly.

Good luck!
Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:59 pm
willbritton wrote
Madsmaten wrote

Haha, this made me chuckle!

I’ve never replaced a screen on a GG before so will gladly defer to wasup’s experience, but I would add that I’ve had plenty of old brittle flexible ribbons tear on me (and from devices considerably newer than those Game Gears) so be very careful when physically handling the ribbon on the screen you want to keep. If you can, try to avoid twisting it and keep the plane of movement squarely across the ribbon so it’s being loaded evenly.

Good luck!

Sorry for the long time without a response!
I have been on holiday and everything.

Anyway, today I had some time to sit down with the Game Gears.
I was able to clean up that gigantic mess of a cap installation.

Console boots and run games just fine.
I started to remove the screen ribbon, and was actually pretty successful in doing so.
To be honest I really dislike this method tho, the ribbon is so fragile and the idea of transferring it is just not one I fancy.

Think I will look at some of the replacements screens, even though that was never my plan to do.

I also changed a few caps on the VA4 one, and actually got it working! Unfortunately the screen is busted on that one as well.

I have had a look at a few Game Gear screen kits, however I find that these kits are very expensive.. Even the ones on Aliexpress.

Anyway, I guess I am too committed at this point to not have a least one working Game Gear, so will probably order something in the upcoming days :D
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!