Reply to topic
Play Game Gear games on the Master System
Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:34 pm
Bob from RetroRGB made a video where you can see my device in action:

Many thanks to him.
Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:50 pm
I am absolutely blown away by this.
I have no words.

I remember years ago reading about the palette problem here on SMS Power and daydreaming about something like this, hoping an on-the-fly patching-adapter could be possible.

I can't believe there are no replies, I guess it's because this is not Main but the Development board?

For me this is the best we have ever gotten hardware wise for the SMS, up there with the 50/60Hz switch mod or the Everdrive cart. Huge respect to your knowledge.

Thank you so much for making us dream.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:05 am
Hi Jair, thanks for the kind words.

I think main reason there's so few interest is it came too late. There are many alternatives to play GG games on a TV through emulation, MISTerFPGA or the GG2MS hacks. That said I designed this adapter in a way it could have been a thing BITD. It's good old 80's technology inside.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:22 pm
Many thanks for this device !
I have been dreaming to play Game Gear games on my TV since my childhood (and just for a little story, I drestoyed my first megadrive by putting by force a GG game in the slot, thinking it might work !).

I don't know if you plan to release it one day but I'll be damned interested !
Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:05 pm
@apocalypse how does it work? Do you watch the system bus for writes to the VDP and if they look like palette writes you intercept and send your own instead? If so, that's pretty sneaky :)

Out of interest, where did you get an edge connector for GG games? I'd love to play with getting them to work on my project at some point...
Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:00 pm
Looks like there's a few of us interested :D

GG2SMS hacks on an Everdrive are convenient and accurate. But nothing beats connecting the cartridge. I love my MiSTer, but for my main systems I really like collecting and playing from the carts. And I agree: a piece of tech that comes from an alternate 80's is absolutely neat.

Another advantage: boxed Game Gear carts come in beautiful small boxes with colour manuals, much smaller than SMS clamshell cases. The Japanese ones anyway. Even if you collect loose carts, they look great inside slightly wide cassette tape cases. Height is the same as Jp GG boxes.

SukkoPera's obscure but fantastic SMS++ mod is a match made in heaven for this adapter. It puts an Arduino inside the SMS console so you can plug a Megadrive controller and use the Start button as Pause, among other quality of life improvements. Been using it for 2 years, works great: https://github.com/SukkoPera/SMSPlusPlus
Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:08 am
@nguyom, yes I'd like to make it a commercial product. Please note a few games will not work (so far Micro Machines doesn't boot and Mortal Kombat has wrong colours). Also there's nothing I can do on the fly to get rid of the garbage in the normally invisible part of the screen. You can always create a bezel as Bob suggested. :D
Unfortunately no company wants to sell the remanufactured slots made for the Retron or Analog adapters nor share the details of their sources.
Only solution I found is having them remanufactured on my own. Last year after making the drawings I got a quote of $5000 for 1000 pcs. Not bad but it's probably more today and I don't have the funds anyway.

@willbritton it indeed spies on busses. The slots come either from an old repair shop or were pulled from dead units. I got (a few of) them from Bob.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:01 pm
Here's an article from Nicole Express this time:
https://nicole.express/2022/sega-8-bit-conversion-kit.html
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!