9 5% 5%
10 (Excellent) 5% 5%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Coding Competition 2022] Deathtrap Dungeon by Guy
Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:13 pm
https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/DeathtrapDungeon-SMS

Hello !

And here's an demo entry for this year's code contest. For the game engine, I was inspired by Phantasy Star II text games on Sega Genesis. For the universe of the game itself it is an adaptation of the Deathtrap Dungeon by Ian Livinstone (Fighting Fantasy Game Book). I would have liked to offer a complete game, but I didn't have enough time to devote myself to this project, especially since I was trying to move forward simultaneously on the possibility of a French or English localization in my code. However the main concept is there. From a technical point of view even if we stay on something simple this demo allowed me to experiment a little more with the sms hardware and to have fun with the coding of superimpositions of the parchments and some special effects here and there. I hope you will enjoy testing it. Bye! Guy

-----

Et voici une entrée pour le concours de code de cette année. Pour le moteur du jeu, je me suis inspiré des jeux textuels phantasy star sur sega megadrive. Pour l'univers du jeu en lui même c'est une adaptation du Dongeon de la Mort par Ian Livinstone (Un livre dont vous êtes le héros). J'aurais aimé proposer un jeu complet, mais je n'ai pas eu assez de temps à consacrer à ce projet d'autant que j'essayais d'avancer en simultané sur la possibilité d'une localisation Français ou Anglais. Toutefois le concept principal est là, même s'il manque encore un peu de polish. D'un point de vue technique même si l'on reste sur quelque chose de simple cette demo m'a permis d'experimenter un peu plus le hardware SMS et de m'amuser avec le codage des superpositions des parchemins et quelques effets spéciaux ça et là. J'espère que vous aurez plaisir à la tester. Tchao! Guy

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:36 am
Oh muy god... Ian livingstone (and Steve Jackson...) Haaaave to play this. Let's see if today after work i have time. Remember the warlock of firetop mountain or the Scorpion swamp (number 5). Very good idea to make this with that appealing graphic set. Please, even before having tested It, continúe the work dude!
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:21 pm
Thank you for this motivating message eruiz00 ! There is still a lot of work to be done to complete the game but nothing technically insurmountable.

Here is in addition to the presentation video, a demonstration of one of the combat sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFLDRW6P0pA
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:30 pm
... and very interesting the pergamin tileset and the background scrolling changing only one tile. With the músic and the Sprite dices, It turns a boring semirandom Battle to a rpgish event' a mix between reading a fantasy book and the strategy rpgs of the 80 like just breed by example.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:43 pm
Your music is incredible, love the sound design on this. Almost feels more Amiga inspired than SMS.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:52 am
I still have the book from when I was a kid. Excellent SMS adaptation! You should add a command to roll back the text. Perhaps using the control pad to scroll it?
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:17 pm
This is great fun. Very well done. The music rocks, too.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:05 pm
Thanks Yesterzine,tsp and Kagesan :)

@tsp : thanks for your feedback, it's a good idea, it's true that it's missing, but I think for the moment I can only implement it in the form "previous page", "next page". Or else I should rewrite the scripting engine.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:47 pm
Well, I usually never play text adventures, but the whole design of this entry made it really engaging even to me!

And the music is great too!! I kind of wanted the battle to go on for a bit more time :D

I will echo the suggestion of a "previous page/next page" feature for reading the text. Sometimes, I accidentally covered the last page that I had not read yet with the choice selection and I felt a bit stupid for it.

Otherwise, great job Guy! :)

I played on Emulicious, so on the title screen, I noticed those CRAM dots on the spider's wire! What a clever way to hide them haha! Actually overall, studying how you achieved some other effects was really interesting. Great stuff!
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:44 am
I played through most of these fighting fantasy books as a child, and of course also the classic Deathtrap Dungeon. I think you make it work quite nicely, and a good overall presentation with animation, music, sound effects and images. The game really shines in the combat scenes. Maybe some of the dice rolling from these scenes can be applied to the various non-combat tests you make underway? Feature suggestion: An automap-function. I know you are supposed to pen-and-paper draw a map as you go, and that is part of the charm, but maybe this electronic version can have a map feature? :)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:45 pm
Many thanks armixer24 & hang-on ! :)

@armixer24 : well done ! you have found the secret of the little spider: it make its web in the glitches ;-)

@hang-on : Yes for the plan I had thought of it. but since it won't be possible to go back, without excluding it, I judged that it was not a priority for now. But it may come back later.

For the dice, yes. I must rewrite some of the code to use them outside battle. I agree it’s a shame to not use them in adventure screen.

The big lack is especially the inventory as I could not include it in the demo …
Nice work
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:37 pm
Just like to echo the community feedback - awesome opening graphics and super cool effects and great music too. Again, I like the neat background tile "scrolling" effects. I think I need to be a more patient reading all the text but will get there - I'm more used to load n' go arcade style games but the overall presentation is really great - nice work!
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:07 pm
Neat! I'm rather partial to adventure games so that in itself is already a win, loved the various animation and effects as well. The only thing I found is my eyes were a little fatigued reading the text after a while I think because of the low contrast of the brownish text against a yellow background, and even having a bright background itself can strain the eyes a bit.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:45 pm
Who's behind the music/jingles on this one? I definitely recognise Polaria Poyon's style on a couple of the tunes (the battle tune's appeared elsewhere before, hasn't it?).
Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:12 pm
marklincadet wrote
Who's behind the music/jingles on this one? I definitely recognise Polaria Poyon's style on a couple of the tunes (the battle tune's appeared elsewhere before, hasn't it?).

If you finish the game, the credits will appear with Polaria Poyon there.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:19 pm
segarule wrote
If you finish the game, the credits will appear with Polaria Poyon there.

I noticed that, yeah, but are all of the tracks hers? The victory/game over tunes in particular have a different style to them.

Awesome soundtrack overall btw, last thing I'd expect from a text adventure but the first thing to suck me in!
Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:39 pm
@SteveProXNA : thanks ! and congratulations to you, I played your entry and I can tell you that it's always a pleasure to rediscover classics games on master system.

@thatawesomeguy : thanks ! Maybe more option for the text display may be impemented in future release

@Marklincadet : Yes you were right: apart from the theme of victory and game over all the music is the (superb) work of polaria poyon

They had already been used in the last revision of my previous SMS game : Nyle/Lyne in Sokobanland and the title screen music is a specific creation for Deathtrap Dungeon.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!