SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Debugging assembly

Reply to topic
Debugging assembly
Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:42 pm
Hey all,

The more I've been working in assembly, the more I'm valuing the debugging tools in Emulicious using its disassembler. Organization is really important to me, so I've been using a couple of different ASM files so I don't have to scroll through a giant monolith of code as my game gets bigger, which has been really helpful, but Emulicious has trouble with this.

So far what I've been doing is using the .include for my other ASM files, which runs totally fine, but when Emulicious disassembles it, it writes all of those files where the .include was in my main file, which is great, but it also rewrites it all again with generic labels, and those generic labels are the ones that get called instead of the nice labeled ones.

If this is too vague, I can link to the source. My root question is: What is the best way to use multiple ASM files for organization, and debugging?
Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:57 pm
bofner wrote
Hey all,

The more I've been working in assembly, the more I'm valuing the debugging tools in Emulicious using its disassembler. Organization is really important to me, so I've been using a couple of different ASM files so I don't have to scroll through a giant monolith of code as my game gets bigger, which has been really helpful, but Emulicious has trouble with this.

So far what I've been doing is using the .include for my other ASM files, which runs totally fine, but when Emulicious disassembles it, it writes all of those files where the .include was in my main file, which is great, but it also rewrites it all again with generic labels, and those generic labels are the ones that get called instead of the nice labeled ones.

If this is too vague, I can link to the source. My root question is: What is the best way to use multiple ASM files for organization, and debugging?

From your description, it seems like Emulicious has difficulties to map all of your current source to your rom. If you can share your rom + sym file + sources, I can take a look.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:33 pm

From your description, it seems like Emulicious has difficulties to map all of your current source to your rom. If you can share your rom + sym file + sources, I can take a look.

So I didn't have a sym file, and I realized in my build.bat file I hadn't included the -drvs when when using wlalink! So now I have a sym file, AND emulicious handles my code perfectly fine now! Thanks for accidentally pointing me in the right direction!

If you're curious anyway, my source can be found here:
https://github.com/Bofner/Warning-Forever
Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:06 pm
bofner wrote

So I didn't have a sym file, and I realized in my build.bat file I hadn't included the -drvs when when using wlalink! So now I have a sym file, AND emulicious handles my code perfectly fine now! Thanks for accidentally pointing me in the right direction!

If you're curious anyway, my source can be found here:
https://github.com/Bofner/Warning-Forever

Cool! Will this be a demake of this awesome PC game?

-- edit --

Nope. But it looks interesting, so far.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:23 pm

Nope. But it looks interesting, so far.

Wasn't aware of that! I'll probably change the name haha
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!