SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Mega USB mouse

Reply to topic
Mega USB mouse
Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:28 am
Hi Everyone,

I've had this idea in my head for awhile to create an device that allows you to use a regular wired USB mouse with our favorite SEGA hardware.

I was recently given some creative time at my work so I had a go at hacking one together.

Here's a quick video of it in action. Please excuse the fact that this is running on a Mega Drive. ;-)

I used an ESP32 which is running a USB host in software. I then wired in a standard controller cable via the GPIO and wrote some software to implement the Mega mouse protocol.

The ESP32 isn't very fast when running in it's standard mode but it just works.

I had to patch my target MD game. I've since discovered that a lot of commercial MD games don't implement the mouse controller properly and don't wait for the required control line to flip to indicate that the mouse is ready. Sigh.

I also found a bug in the game I was using to test this initially which is Lemmings 2 for the MD.

I'm currently powering this from the ESP32's USB port. I tried running everything off the +5v on the MD controller port but it didn't seem to be supplying enough power. (Electronics isn't my strong suite so maybe it can work?)
mega_usb_mouse.jpg (2.35 MB)
mega_usb_mouse.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:37 pm
Looks neat, great job!
Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:56 pm
This is awesome! I was hoping that this device would provide what you've delivered, but it doesn't look like it's there yet: https://videogameperfection.com/products/smallymouse-2-usb-mouse-interface/
Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:08 am
This is a really cool project, I like it.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:01 am
SavagePencil wrote
This is awesome! I was hoping that this device would provide what you've delivered, but it doesn't look like it's there yet: https://videogameperfection.com/products/smallymouse-2-usb-mouse-interface/

ohh that look promising. If it has 5v tolerant IO and is reflashable it might be possible to add mega mouse support.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!