Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Mini AV2HDMI Converter

Reply to topic
Mini AV2HDMI Converter
Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:44 pm
There's a glut of cheap, little composite video to HDMI converters on ebay at the moment. These little units are about a quarter of the price of a LVDS converter with S-video or Composite inputs. I thought I'd give one a try on the SMS. I have some old Samsung 940B 19-inch 4:3 LCD PC monitors that I put aside for arcade projects. These monitors only have VGA or DVI inputs, so a converter is needed to convert the Composite or S-Video output from a Master System.

TLDR: These things suck.

The colours are correct but the image is not sharp and not pleasant to look at. I tried both SMS1 and MD2. Screenshots below. For comparison I also took some shots of my Commodore 1084 monitor displaying the composite video signal.
AV2HDMI.JPG (87.86 KB)
AV2HDMI.JPG

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:16 am
I can't say I'm surprised, looks like they probably are using interpolation for the scaling.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:52 pm
Been warning people about those for years: 240p is processed as 480i and there's 2-7 frames of lag depending on which firmware is on them.

...but they're actually pretty good for casual VHS to HDMI transfer. Or I guess even streaming 480i content, after the signal is split. So, PS2 via composite, through a splitter (or TV that has video out), to this device, to a capture card = Not terrible.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!