Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Phantasy star - sprite modding

Reply to topic
Phantasy star - sprite modding
Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:27 pm
Hi there, Im new around here. Ive been playing with pixel art lately and thought about going back to games I love and see if I can improve them a bit, remake some sprites and see how it looks. Not in a professional or technical way, just for fun. I quite like phantasy star but always thought that the world-view characters were not nearly as good (except for myau) as all the fantastic artwork we get in the first-person-view and cutscenes. So I remade Alis, using Alys from phantasy star 4 as base. I believe it looks much closer to the character. I will work on the other characters as well, but in the meantime I thought someone might find this useful for a project or their own experiments.

Credit to ultimecia for providing both sprite sheets!
alis_new.png (26.75 KB)
Reworked sprite
alis_new.png
alis_current.png (26.19 KB)
Original sprite for comparison
alis_current.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:58 pm
I hope you saw https://www.smspower.org/Translations/PhantasyStar-SMS-EN which already has an in-game option to swap Alisa sprites. Maybe I can add yours if you complete the set? Have you considered the palette restrictions?
Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:39 pm
I did not know about that project, it looks amazing. I also like the improved Alis sprite, although in this rework, I'll be using the phantasy star 4 art as a base (bigger heads and chest, slightly elevated perspective instead of front/side view). I did use the sms palette, but I increased the number of colors used in the sprites and since realised that that could be a problem. Like I said, the initial plan was to maybe use the sprites for my own experiments in other game engines, but it would be great if these could be made 100% compatible with the original game in case someone is interested in using them for their own projects.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:41 am
I completed the player characters remake. I managed to fit it into the amount of colors used in the original sprites (14), although a few of the colors are not the same. The only character not modified was myau, because it already looks very nice (I tweaked a few pixel colors here and there, but its hardly noticeable). I havent tried the sprites in animation, so I might come back to them if I noticed there's something to adjust. I should move to reworking the npcs next.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:12 pm
Npc characters:

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!