SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS Street Fighter 2 ROM Hack

Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
SMS Street Fighter 2 ROM Hack
Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:45 am
Last edited by xfixium on Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:33 am; edited 29 times in total
This is a topic for progress on hacking Tec Toy's SMS Street Fighter 2. The graphics are the primary focus of replacement, with some screen and graphics code adjustments here and there.

There will be two graphic versions of this ROM. Champion Edition and The World Warrior versions. Champion Edition will be done first, as it's what is the closet to the original SMS Tec Toy ROM.

Graphic Changes:
xfixium
slogra
mondo
emrabt

Code Changes:
xfixium
bcnabel76

(01/27/2023)
Final Release Patches:

Champion Edition:
https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_sf2/downloads/sf2_hack.bps

World Warrior:
https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_sf2/downloads/sf2_hack_ww.bps

SMS Editor Files and Graphic Resources:
https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_sf2/downloads/sf2.zip

// Misc (Version 2.0)
Fix Sagat jump kick and jump punch animations
Look into reenabling shadow code on jump
Try changing player select screen
sms_sf2_0108.png (34.56 KB)
sms_sf2_0108.png
sms_sf2_0109.png (27.93 KB)
sms_sf2_0109.png
sms_sf2_0110.png (33.89 KB)
sms_sf2_0110.png
sms_sf2_0111.png (34.12 KB)
sms_sf2_0111.png

Revo
Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:21 am
Amazing.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:16 am
You are an artist!.
Really interesting project.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:55 pm
Your previews are so cool. I hope you will make good progress cause i can't wait to play :).

I love the pixel improvements on chun li. The mockups are great and your program looks very interesting too.
Personally i strongly prefer the palette of the original street fighter 2 (not turbo or ' or super).

Can't wait to see your your turtles game in action too hah!
Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:49 pm
Your images are really cool !

Love Street Fighter!

I supose you enhance game graphics, but anything about gameplay?
Or implement more moves? For example ShoRyuKen is stripped

This game use sprite Vs tilemap, and it is not really good for me

You can see this really impresive work in NES

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:40 am
Amazing.

You are an artist!.
Really interesting project.

Thank you

I love the pixel improvements on chun li. The mockups are great and your program looks very interesting too.
Personally i strongly prefer the palette of the original street fighter 2 (not turbo or ' or super).

I'm with you on that. I prefer the original as well. The Guile's stage mock up is closer to the original than the turbo palette. I plan on trying out different palettes. If possible, maybe have an option to choose between the original or turbo. The SMS version seems to be using turbo, but the portraits are from super. Quite the mix.

I supose you enhance game graphics, but anything about gameplay?
Or implement more moves? For example ShoRyuKen is stripped

Nope, just graphical changes. I have other stuff to accomplish. Pulling off any moves in the game seems very difficult. lol

You can see this really impresive work in NES

That's very nice. I've seen another one floating around the net that's really nice as well. Although I didn't see a playable rom for it. I take it that it uses a mapper? That's a lot of tiles. The scrolling on the ground is excellent. Perhaps the SMS version should've used sprites, I'm guessing they didn't want a flicker fest, which this nes port seems to suffer from heavily.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:31 pm
Pretty good!, I wonder how this is going to result as you rely on tile flipping, I would suggest in Chunli stage to have some stores closed and in Ken stage the ship can be kind of flipped from bow to stern and figure out things like that if you are out of memory.

This is the link to the Street Fighter homebrew a very advanced one as it uses the powerful MMC5 mapper.
https://parisoft.itch.io/street-fighter-ii-ne-demo

Btw are you considering the aspect ratio stretching.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:01 pm
I still have the TMNT project on my plate, as well as finishing up the Golden Axe Tyris Flare Edition hack.

You will submit TMNT to next SMSPOWER competition or will develop freely with no time estipulated?
Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:57 am
Pretty good!, I wonder how this is going to result as you rely on tile flipping, I would suggest in Chunli stage to have some stores closed and in Ken stage the ship can be kind of flipped from bow to stern and figure out things like that if you are out of memory.

I have plans to bring in as much as I can. I'll figure something out. Seems like decent potential for both stages.

This is the link to the Street Fighter homebrew a very advanced one as it uses the powerful MMC5 mapper.
https://parisoft.itch.io/street-fighter-ii-ne-demo

This is the same project BcnAbel76 linked to, just a direct link, not youtube. The mapper is impressive though. Does SMS have anything like that mapper? I've seen topics on mappers here, just not very knowledgeable on the subject.

Btw are you considering the aspect ratio stretching.

This has come up before for the Golden Axe hack I worked on. No, I will not be compensating for that. The resources for this project will be openly available, if someone else wants to give it a go, however.

You will submit TMNT to next SMSPOWER competition or will develop freely with no time estipulated?

Most likely not.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:52 am
xfixium wrote

This is the same project BcnAbel76 linked to, just a direct link, not youtube. The mapper is impressive though. Does SMS have anything like that mapper? I've seen topics on mappers here, just not very knowledgeable on the subject.

Apart from some quick calculations on the chip, I don't think MM5C brings anything that the Master System can do by itself...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:31 am
Some Korean mappers include a byte flipping mode for easier creation of horizontally flipped sprites - although arguably it’s better to spend more ROM space for homebrew and redraw the flipped sprites properly. A mapper could also implement a way to push more data per VBlank from ROM to VRAM. However - such a thing doesn’t exist.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:34 am
kusfo wrote
xfixium wrote

Apart from some quick calculations on the chip, I don't think MM5C brings anything that the Master System can do by itself...

I should've worded that differently. I meant does the SMS have carts that have a mapper on it, that extends the capabilities of the SMS, similar to the MM5C? If that makes sense. Like more workable RAM, or the such.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:35 am
Maxim wrote
Some Korean mappers include a byte flipping mode for easier creation of horizontally flipped sprites - although arguably it’s better to spend more ROM space for homebrew and redraw the flipped sprites properly. A mapper could also implement a way to push more data per VBlank from ROM to VRAM. However - such a thing doesn’t exist.

Ah, thanks for the information!
Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:53 am
xfixium wrote
Like more workable RAM, or the such.
Yes, it is possible to include some RAM on the cartridges.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:37 pm
xfixium wrote
This has come up before for the Golden Axe hack I worked on. No, I will not be compensating for that. The resources for this project will be openly available, if someone else wants to give it a go, however.

It seems this is gonna be based on graphics for Street Fighter II for 16bits systems if that so, then no need of compensation as the graphics are already pre-squeezed just like the original Street Fighter II and Golden Axe games for the SMS, btw I found a combo for Ryu by keeping left or right + punch, kick when the timing is right the combo can be infinite.

Edit: Combo must be executed at left/righmost part of stage.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:26 pm
Small update. I got most of the SMS Editor tweaks done. I still have some palette edit options to test. The ability to copy/move/delete palette entries between palettes if the imported colors are greater than 16. This is so I can define tiles as using the background or the sprite palette on import. I made alt P2 colored profiles of all the fighters. Maybe I can add them in when there are two players with a lil code change. Surprisingly they all can use the same palettes for the player select screen. Got Ryu's stage imported, some tweaks to come. After I get the player select screen fully imported, I'm going to try and see how much of Guile's stage I can get in.
sms_sf2_0018.png (17.94 KB)
Balrog P2 color test. Still have to import the small fighter profiles in.
sms_sf2_0018.png
sms_sf2_0019.png (20.13 KB)
Blanka P2 color test
sms_sf2_0019.png
sms_sf2_0020.png (32.19 KB)
Importer update
sms_sf2_0020.png
sms_sf2_0021.png (33.93 KB)
Ryu's stage wip, in game
sms_sf2_0021.png

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:27 am
You win! :)

Ryu stage looks fantastic. Nice to see that a lot of extra art can be added.
Did you change pixels in the Ryu character besides the palette? His arm looks a bit different , but i could not spot any other differences.
About the Ryu portrait you posted earlier. I have to say i like the original lighter look better, although it might have less detail.

Keep up the great work.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:05 am
Did you change pixels in the Ryu character besides the palette? His arm looks a bit different , but i could not spot any other differences.

I haven't resprited Ryu yet. I just mucked about with the original sprite a little. He looked wacky with the palette changed up, so I took the time to play with it a bit. Chun-Li is the only character that I've done any serious work to.

About the Ryu portrait you posted earlier. I have to say i like the original lighter look better, although it might have less detail.

He does look a bit dark, I'll have to play with it a lil further.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks!

I added the importer code to support 32 colors coming in. So I was able to set up the player select screen finally. I also started finalizing Guile's stage. It's proving to be a challenging endeavor.
player_select.png (34.1 KB)
Player select screen comparison
player_select.png
ryu_wip.png (7.87 KB)
Playing with alt colors
ryu_wip.png
sms_sf2_0021.png (34 KB)
Closer to finalized Ryu stage. I may add in more tiles on the right side
sms_sf2_0021.png

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:14 pm
This shows how overrated Tectoy games are. They could have done much better, but were so sloppy!

Congratulations! Keep up the good work! I look forward to see it finished! =)
Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:01 pm
wouldn't it be better to put the faces of the champions edition version than the super?
Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:48 pm
EmuBoarding wrote
wouldn't it be better to put the faces of the champions edition version than the super?

Good point. For the time being, I'm just 1:1ing the source material. I'll bring in the original portraits as well. I'll probably put together several versions, as I don't have the programming chops yet to make an options screen for the various versions that could be compiled.

On that note, I finished up most of the SMS editor stuff. I need to code for one more import scenario, finish up the tilemap editor features, and I'll put it up on github. I put up the Golden Axe editor, but then I discovered the importer wasn't even functioning correctly XD. I deleted it, this will be the replacement for it.

So I finally imported the player select stuff, I just need to get a hold of the P1 and P2 graphics so I can reassign them to the edited palette. Then that'll be done.

I tinkered with Ryu's stage palette. Trying to get Guile's stage figured out, I need to squeeze out 20 more tiles in my design to be able to fit it in. Ryu's stage is almost done, I just want to replace the clouds, they look dumb.
sms_sf2_0022.png (53.53 KB)
sms_sf2_0022.png
sms_sf2_0023.png (15.18 KB)
sms_sf2_0023.png
sms_sf2_0024.png (20.05 KB)
sms_sf2_0024.png
sms_sf2_0025.png (45.11 KB)
Added pixel editing in, as well as bulk swap, adding additional tiles, yadda yadda yadda
sms_sf2_0025.png

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:05 am
What can I say... Spectacular!
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:23 am
2nd.

Love the classic Ryu stage.

About the clouds: i think they would look better when you change them to a Z shape instead of the current T shape by changing the tilemap (If you knoe what i mean).

Or ditch the moon and create more cloud tiles.

About Guile stage. 20 tiles is a lot...

I guess you can reuse the back of the rocket if you make the concrete the same color there.

I would remove the sky color gradiant to save a tile and use the blue from the concrete for the sky. And use dark grey or maybe grey/dark grey dithered instead of the blue concrete.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:25 am
GiovanniFalco wrote

Thank you.

Kinda ran into a road block with Guile's stage. The tiles I need to optimize are in the teens, still. Took a break from that, and worked on Balrog's stage. Got it in, these stages are going to the very last tile.
sms_sf2_0026.png (31.7 KB)
sms_sf2_0026.png
balrogs_stage.png (21.14 KB)
balrogs_stage.png

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:31 am
slogra wrote
2nd.

Love the classic Ryu stage.

About the clouds: i think they would look better when you change them to a Z shape instead of the current T shape by changing the tilemap (If you knoe what i mean).

Or ditch the moon and create more cloud tiles.

About Guile stage. 20 tiles is a lot...

I guess you can reuse the back of the rocket if you make the concrete the same color there.

I would remove the sky color gradiant to save a tile and use the blue from the concrete for the sky. And use dark grey or maybe grey/dark grey dithered instead of the blue concrete.

Even with those changes, don't think it's gonna happen, unfortunately. I get what you're saying about the clouds, I haven't worked on them again yet. I'll give it a go later today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:44 am
Balrog stage looks spot on. Congrats! I don't miss the Las vegas text really.

I'm afraid you will have to resize the airplane then,
Or simplify the whole stage by removing most tiles besides the plane.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:25 am
Last edited by segarule on Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:33 am; edited 2 times in total
xfixium wrote
GiovanniFalco wrote

Thank you.

Kinda ran into a road block with Guile's stage. The tiles I need to optimize are in the teens, still. Took a break from that, and worked on Balrog's stage. Got it in, these stages are going to the very last tile.

(Balrog´s stage) Superb! I only think, IMO, that is a phenomenal effort for a game with a broken gameplay. Could pay attention for some gamers but this facelift, maybe, would gain more adepts with others good games with terrible sprites like SOR 1, Danan... I had a project in create a background for Chuck Rock but i abandoned it because that could have a background but would have no music.
Anyway is a excellent work.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:27 pm
Adding music to Chuck Rock seems like it would be quite simple using PSGlib after ripping the existing SFX. Fixing the terrible level design is another matter… :)
SF2 SMS Improvement.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:48 am
Will the music suck less?

Other than that question I wish you luck.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:20 am
ThatDamnCatgirl wrote
Will the music suck less?

Other than that question I wish you luck.

It will bring to the table, an equal amount of suckage. No more, no less.

Almost done with Chun Li's stage.
sms_sf2_0027.png (20.32 KB)
sms_sf2_0027.png

Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:26 am
Very impressive xfixium!

About Chuck Rock, I believe It is the kind of game that really needs this kind of hacking. I love the game, and with music and backgrouds It would be a very better playing experience.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:47 pm
The restyling of the stages is coming up beautiful! BTW Chuck Rock is one of my favourite!
Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:20 pm
These stages are looking fantastic!
Could you make the ground in Chun li's stage more brown?

I think with Guile's stage you may have to have the undercarriage almost totally in shadow and remove a lot of the details from the top half of the body.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:01 pm
About Chuck Rock, I believe It is the kind of game that really needs this kind of hacking. I love the game, and with music and backgrouds It would be a very better playing experience.

The restyling of the stages is coming up beautiful! BTW Chuck Rock is one of my favourite!

I never played Chuck Rock, so I checked out a long play of it on YT. It's very cool! I was impressed with the collision detection, and physics. The green t-rex looking dino is huge. Why is there no music? Too much processing?

These stages are looking fantastic!
Could you make the ground in Chun li's stage more brown?

I changed it immediately after I looked at the post on my phone. The laptop I develop on has horrible color. It's very dull (300 dollar Amazon special), so it looked alright on it, but on my phone it was way too pink.

I think with Guile's stage you may have to have the undercarriage almost totally in shadow and remove a lot of the details from the top half of the body.

I'm not sure what you mean by this one.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:26 am
Does having a more detailed background affect the on the fly software spite creation at all, does it make the process take longer?

xfixium wrote

Sorry, I meant to save those 20 titles, would something like this work.
Image1.png (14.53 KB)
Image1.png

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:28 pm
Really nice hack, very impressive.
Is it possible to hack the shadows of the characters? It seems that the fighters are flying.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:36 pm
Emrabt wrote
Does having a more detailed background affect the on the fly software spite creation at all, does it make the process take longer?

xfixium wrote

Sorry, I meant to save those 20 titles, would something like this work.

Very nice! I see what you did there. I'm trying to preserve as much as possible of the jet, but I'll probably do something similar, to what you have done. I'm currently reworking the fence, I think I can squeeze some more tiles out of it. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to remove the warning signs.

Really nice hack, very impressive.
Is it possible to hack the shadows of the characters? It seems that the fighters are flying.

Yeah I don't like the shadows either. I understand why they are the way they are though. They're a mix of tiles and sprites. Probably a better approach would have been to combine the shadows with the character sprites, and when the fighter jumps, show the shadow like it currently does?

Besides that, I wouldn't know where to start hacking it, beyond disabling them altogether. Which might look better, I don't know.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:11 am
For disabling shadows replace data into adress rom:

$2877, $2878, $2879, $28C6, $28C7, $28C8: "$00"
$28A8: "$C0"

Showing up 8 pixels may offer poor looking

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:48 am
xfixium wrote
Very nice! I see what you did there. I'm trying to preserve as much as possible of the jet, but I'll probably do something similar, to what you have done. I'm currently reworking the fence, I think I can squeeze some more tiles out of it. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to remove the warning signs.

Regarding the fence, (unless I'm missing something technical) you have two pallets to work with, if you are very careful and creative with how you arrange the colours in the pallettes you could reduce tiles by having the the chain links have grey behind in pal1, which is green when switched to pal 2 and so on. Covering the changing runway colour without doubling up identical tiles.

The same could be done with the bottom of the Jets rear propellers, if you really need to squeeze out every last tile.

beyond disabling them altogether. Which might look better, I don't know.

I'd vote for disabling them.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:44 am
Last edited by xfixium on Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
BcnAbel76 wrote
For disabling shadows replace data into adress rom:

$2877, $2878, $2879, $28C6, $28C7, $28C8: "$00"
$28A8: "$C0"

Showing up 8 pixels may offer poor looking

Oh wow, thank you for this! This will come in handy!

Regarding the fence, (unless I'm missing something technical) you have two pallets to work with, if you are very careful and creative with how you arrange the colours in the pallettes you could reduce tiles by having the the chain links have grey behind in pal1, which is green when switched to pal 2 and so on. Covering the changing runway colour without doubling up identical tiles.

The same could be done with the bottom of the Jets rear propellers, if you really need to squeeze out every last tile.

That's quite clever. I haven't thought about that. Although I'd have to have not only the background color, but also the gray scale colors as well, correct? I'd rather not go mucking with it, as it affects one of the player palettes on the fly. Maybe when I've fleshed out everything with every palette I'll come back to it, and look into implementing your suggestion. In the meantime, I managed to get what I wanted for the most part, the signs are missing.
sms_sf2_0030.png (28.59 KB)
Final versions, for now
sms_sf2_0030.png
sms_sf2_0029.png (15.93 KB)
In game
sms_sf2_0029.png
sms_sf2_0027.png (18.37 KB)
Chun Li wip, going to add some more tiles for the building walls at some point, pretty plain now
sms_sf2_0027.png
sms_sf2_0028.png (20.44 KB)
sms_sf2_0028.png
sms_sf2_0031.png (20.74 KB)
No shadows, thanks to BcnAbel76
sms_sf2_0031.png

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:06 am
Wow wow this thread is on fire!!! I'm daydreaming...
Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:31 am
xfixium wrote

That's quite clever. I haven't thought about that. Although I'd have to have not only the background color, but also the gray scale colors as well, correct?

Yes that's correct, the greys would have to be in the same place in both palettes.

The sunset / dawn version of Guile's stage you have there is really beautiful.

Chun Li's stage is coming along nicely. I'm not a fan of the Stepped walls, (although the original gameboy did similar.) How about something like this instead?
edited.png (22.56 KB)
edited.png

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:41 am
Emrabt wrote
xfixium wrote

That's quite clever. I haven't thought about that. Although I'd have to have not only the background color, but also the gray scale colors as well, correct?

Yes that's correct, the greys would have to be in the same place in both palettes.

The sunset / dawn version of Guile's stage you have there is really beautiful.

Chun Li's stage is coming along nicely. I'm not a fan of the Stepped walls, (although the original gameboy did similar.) How about something like this instead?

My only problem is that it seems a bit empty to me. Maybe if there were clouds or something similar to fill more of the space? I THINK I have about 1 or 2 tiles left. I was going to texture the walls to see if that was interesting enough.

I also updated the Guile stage colors, I didn't like having that ground color gone, let me know what you think.
sms_sf2_0030.png (28.5 KB)
ground color, tried to use a muted color similar to the base ground color, also fixed a previous pixel error
sms_sf2_0030.png

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:02 am
xfixium wrote

My only problem is that it seems a bit empty to me. Maybe if there were clouds or something similar to fill more of the space? I THINK I have about 1 or 2 tiles left. I was going to texture the walls to see if that was interesting enough.

It's worth a try, at the end of the day it's your project, I agree it needs something as it's a big gap.

Would replacing the window in the white wall with the barbers pole free up tiles you could use for a sky line?

I also updated the Guile stage colors, I didn't like having that ground color gone, let me know what you think.

It looks much better with a mid ground colour but I'm not sure on green. I'm not sure what colors are in your palette. Would something like this be possible, with the darker mid-ground?
edited.png (15.61 KB)
edited.png

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:39 am
a little test, sligtly edited the background.
can you fill the grey behind the plane ?
sf2_1.png (196.3 KB)
sf2
sf2_1.png
sf2_1-1.png (84.69 KB)
maybe need more contrast in the sky...
sf2_1-1.png
sf2_bkg.png (50.25 KB)
sf2_bkg.png

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:22 am
Would replacing the window in the white wall with the barbers pole free up tiles you could use for a sky line?

That's a good idea, although the wall would be even more empty imo. That section in general is pretty plain. I think I have about 3 tiles free currently. I like your original mock up, just need to fill in some more detail. I'm currently working on something else atm.

It looks much better with a mid ground colour but I'm not sure on green. I'm not sure what colors are in your palette. Would something like this be possible, with the darker mid-ground?

It's possible, but I'm not feeling the contrast of the light gray with the tan(ish?) color. Feel free to keep trying though.

ichigobankai wrote
a little test, sligtly edited the background.
can you fill the grey behind the plane ?

I kinda want to keep those structures intact, and not blend them with a solid color from the BG. Since the graphics are taken directly from the original game. Feel free with any other suggestions however.

While testing, I noticed that the game doesn't honor vertical tile flipping when drawing two tiles over top of each other. Real bummer. Thankfully I have an extra tile or two to account for this. Had to update SMS Editor's import compile options, seems to be working now.
sms_sf2_0033.png (20.18 KB)
Tiles unflip if a character is overlaying them
sms_sf2_0033.png
sms_sf2_0032.png (24.33 KB)
New import flipping option
sms_sf2_0032.png

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:41 am
Last edited by Emrabt on Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
xfixium wrote

While testing, I noticed that the game doesn't honor vertical tile flipping when drawing two tiles over top of each other. Real bummer. Thankfully I have an extra tile or two to account for this. Had to update SMS Editor's import compile options, seems to be working now.

That's a shame, I suspected there would be some kind of drawback to having software tiled sprites. Luckily it's not the end of the world.
Things like bottom of the floors could still be flipped as they are outside the field of play, although as Ryu's stage is done and the edge of the planks look great without flipping I'm not sure where that will be useful.

It's possible, but I'm not feeling the contrast of the light gray with the tan(ish?) color. Feel free to keep trying though.

Champion edition on the Mega Drive uses brown, with a grey runway.
What browns to you have in the level palette, maybe brown bottom with a tan runway will work?
Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:13 pm
I think without shadows looks better. Thank you :)
Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:30 pm
That's a shame, I suspected there would be some kind of drawback to having software tiled sprites. Luckily it's not the end of the world.
Things like bottom of the floors could still be flipped as they are outside the field of play, although as Ryu's stage is done and the edge of the planks look great without flipping I'm not sure where that will be useful.

As long as horizontal flipping is good, that's all I need :)

Champion edition on the Mega Drive uses brown, with a grey runway.
What browns to you have in the level palette, maybe brown bottom with a tan runway will work?

I have a bunch of references that I have been using. Not sure which one I have tbh. The sky actually has some purple in it, but when I put it together for this project, it didn't look all that great. I tried other colors for the ground, too stark for the most part vs the color I chose, there is a color almost identical to the khaki color I'm using, might be the best option? Not sure at this point.

I think without shadows looks better. Thank you :)

All thanks to BcnAbel76. I would like to see if I could push the fighters down one tile though. They seem too high now?
sf2_turbo_hyper.png (19.28 KB)
Reference
sf2_turbo_hyper.png

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:12 pm
It looks great so far, the airplane in Guile stage looks great but could it be minimalistic in order to add people (less missiles and details to me)? where I'm pointing out is kind of replacing tiles mostly, from left to right: guy on the box, box, standing guy. Where the upper body is flipped and the same to standing and sitting guy. Besides can you see the airplane nose and the wing could share tiles as they look similar.

Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!