SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear 2 Asic C6 capacitor help

Reply to topic
Game Gear 2 Asic C6 capacitor help
Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:53 am
Hi everyone.

I was recently gifted a recapped game gear. I am new to this world of game gear repairs, but from what i researched online, it is a 2 asic game gear and they used ceramic capacitors on the recap.

The shell was in terrible condition, so i bought an aftermarket shell and when i took apart the game gear to swap the shell i noticed that the capacitor on the C6 spot was a bit crooked and on closer inspection, i noticed the negative side pad was somewhat lifted from the board. I bought a cheap soldering iron and melted the solder and the pad seem to have stuck back on the board.

The game gear was and still is working properly (as far as i can tell). So my questions are:

- Would the game gear not work if the c6 capacitor wasnt making contact on the negative side?
-should i solder a wire from the c6 to a ground spot somewhere on the board to be safe?

Thanks in advance for reading this and for any help you can provide.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:31 pm
I don't know about c6, but in general ceramic caps are usually filter/bypass caps, device will probably work fine without it, but they do help with stability over time. a bypass cap will make up for the slight power sag when a chip is doing certain operations. If you're interested in an awesome video about this subject, check out the bypass cap tutorial by eevblog:
- bypass cap tutorial
- bypass caps visualized (with a scope)

best regards,
- dink
Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:53 am
dink wrote
I don't know about c6, but in general ceramic caps are usually filter/bypass caps, device will probably work fine without it, but they do help with stability over time. a bypass cap will make up for the slight power sag when a chip is doing certain operations. If you're interested in an awesome video about this subject, check out the bypass cap tutorial by eevblog:
visualized (with a scope)

best regards,
- dink

Thanks for replying. I did watch the tutorial and i did learn a bit more about capacitors. But it didnt help me understand if the C6 cap should be connected to ground.

With some tips from a friend i checked with a multimeter if there was any connections, and the connection on the pad that lifted was indeed broken. I couldnt find any information online if that connection should go to ground, so i risked it, patched a wire from the cap to a ground spot and the game gear didnt blow up lol. It is still working properly and in fact, it stopped doing a weird thing with the sound, where sometimes the sound would only come on after a few seconds of a game starting. So maybe that was the problem.

If anyone knows if i did good connecting that C6 cap to ground, please let me know.

Thanks for the help!
Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:16 am
lvl wrote
dink wrote
visualized (with a scope)

best regards,
- dink

Thanks for replying. I did watch the tutorial and i did learn a bit more about capacitors. But it didnt help me understand if the C6 cap should be connected to ground.

With some tips from a friend i checked with a multimeter if there was any connections, and the connection on the pad that lifted was indeed broken. I couldnt find any information online if that connection should go to ground, so i risked it, patched a wire from the cap to a ground spot and the game gear didnt blow up lol. It is still working properly and in fact, it stopped doing a weird thing with the sound, where sometimes the sound would only come on after a few seconds of a game starting. So maybe that was the problem.

If anyone knows if i did good connecting that C6 cap to ground, please let me know.

Thanks for the help!

Well after i posted this, i went to do more searching, and it turns out, console5 has a diagram for the connections on the motherboard and although i dont understand anything about this schematics i found C6 on there and it does go to ground! I leave this info on here for anyone else who needs it.

I cant post links because of beeing a recent member, but if you need GG schematics, just google console5 and they have it on the tech wiki quick link on the bottom of the page!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!