Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Double Dragon USA manual has "Trade West Software Inc." corrected out

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Double Dragon USA manual has "Trade West Software Inc." corrected out
Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:08 pm
Pretty random factoid but I noticed that on two copies I had of Double Dragon (USA) on the back of the manual there is a line saying "Double is a licensed trademark of Trade West Software Inc." where Trade West was specifically covered with a marker.

Other versions don't have this line, so I am assuming that some legal event made Sega of America or Tonka have to hide this from the printed manual. Do you copy of Double Dragon have this too?
IMG_4716.jpeg (780.41 KB)
IMG_4716.jpeg

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:42 pm
My first guess is that Technōs, publisher of Double Dragon and the Kunio games (such as River City Ransom), may have established their own operations in America and therefore no longer needed to go through Tradewest as a a publisher.

(Arc System Works since bought the Technōs product identities.)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:26 pm
Some older discussion here: https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?32485-SMS-Double-Dragon-manual-vari...

A claim here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/168561-rare-replay/72150942

Technos Japan had strip Double Dragon from Tradewest because they didn't like how Trade West was handling Double Dragon overseas.
Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:08 am
Not sure how the timing relates towards the SMS version of Double Dragon, but Tradewest apparently had some legal qualms about the NES releases.

That is Tradewest published the NES version of the first game, and then Technos granted Acclaim publishing rights to the NES DD2. Reportedly Tradewest filed some sort of contract breach lawsuit.
Consequently, Double Dragon III for the NES was developed with both companies' logos contained in the ROM. Eventually it was settled that Tradewest only had publishing rights specifically to DD1, for the NES (and apparently Game Boy) while Acclaim was given publishing rights to the other games (I know at the least they published the Genesis version of DD3 under their Flying Edge brand).
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!