Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Attaching a USB port to SMS board?

Reply to topic
Attaching a USB port to SMS board?
Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:24 am
Does anyone know how to attach a basic USB port to someone on the board? Basically I want to hide a RCA to HDMI converter in the SMS itself by reversing the RCA mod, so they stick inwards rather than outwards. I then attach the RCA’s to a HDMI conversation box and hide it all in the SMS itself, then I have just a single HDMI coming out the back. Boom. HDMI master system.

Issue is that the HDMI converter needs to be powered by a USB plug; and I can’t find any information on how to attach a USB port to the board.

Any aid is appreciated :)
Attaching a USB port to SMS board?
Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:52 am
USB power supply is 5 Volts and the Master System is 5 volts, so you can connect the USB ground pin to the ground rail of the Master System, and the +5V USB pin to the positive rail of the Master System. Preferably somewhere close to the 7805 voltage regulator and the 100uF capacitor close to it.

But you first need to know how much power the HDMI converter requires, so you don't overload and cook you Master System voltage regulator.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:34 pm
Also pay attention to the warnings about latency on those converters, and the extent to which they will interlace the picture.

When you say RCA it sounds like you are going via composite (yellow plug), which will be pretty poor quality; presumably RGB converters are available.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!