Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sonic Genesis for Master System v1.05

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:25 pm
slogra wrote
ha, the grey of rings3 looks horrible in-game. So i'd best stick with the original colors of rings1.

I liked 2 and 5.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:08 pm
Maxim wrote
The game engine doesn’t support background tile attributes except for the priority bit.

Bummer

That aside, I would go with the grays plus either red or green dark color. could also replace the light grey with a similar color. I usually have 85, 85, 85 or 85, 85, 0 for dark gray, and 170, 170, 170 or 170, 170, 85 as the light gray. Sometimes it makes sense for one or the other. I've attached a mock up, just for comparison. If it's even doable, which I'm not entirely sure.
sonic_0001.png (14.66 KB)
Light gray replacement
sonic_0001.png

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:16 pm
Last edited by slogra on Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Since the game over screen was mentioned, i'll reveal the latest screen.

It shares tiles with the score screen (and special stage score) which evolved into this interesting mess ;).
Game over new.png (2.8 KB)
Game over new.png
gameover-score.png (4.25 KB)
gameover-score.png

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:42 pm
In-game the pixels are huge, and then a smooth gradient of colors works best. Mixing other colors like grey or red does not look good i'm afraid.
So i'll stick with white, yellow and the 3 colors of green.

I just have no other colors as skybase uses a whopping 5 colors for cycling and lighting.
skybase palette.png (3.72 KB)
skybase palette.png

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:54 pm
xfixium wrote

That aside, I would go with the grays plus either red or green dark color. could also replace the light grey with a similar color. I usually have 85, 85, 85 or 85, 85, 0 for dark gray, and 170, 170, 170 or 170, 170, 85 as the light gray. Sometimes it makes sense for one or the other. I've attached a mock up, just for comparison. If it's even doable, which I'm not entirely sure.

Yeah, that would be an option. I really like the grey though so i don't want to sacrifice it. And the dark red will still look a bit out of place in the ring.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:49 pm
While playing around with the underwater palette, i got the idea to create 3 different colored crystals, as there are 3 different palettes: dry, submerged, and submerged boss level.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:06 pm
I've finally found an underwater palette that i like.

Making the water black, like in my previous post, might look more like the Genesis, but details are missing due to duplicate colors.
Another disadvantage here is the black water, which is the same color as dry parts. So the nice waterline is gone.
That issue might be fix by adding more details instead of plain black.
However i noticed at certain places with many sprites (the waves combined with invincibility to get the emerald) the actual background graphics will disappear, and turn into black. So here changed the background into black to avoid this issue.

The new palette fixed those issues. The dark green and dark greenblue colors are very similar though, but they are still distinguishable when you look hard enough.
What i like about the greenblue is that the background layer of the Genesis game also uses greenblue colors.

Now that background is out of the way, i can start working on the sprite palette and boss sprite palette.
Genesis Labyrinth.png (36.47 KB)
Genesis Labyrinth.png

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:16 pm
It was a bit of a puzzle but the underwater sprite and boss sprite palettes are done.

- In the original SMS game everything was green and blue. I tried to keep original colors more especially the red.
- The moving platform is the exact color of the background now
- The greenblue bubbles color of the Genesis did not look right and collided with background color, so i used this nice color of blue
- The boss has a separate palette and is slightly different

I still need to work on Burrobot.
Labyrinth boss.png (8.52 KB)
Labyrinth boss.png
Labyrinth fish.png (6.14 KB)
Labyrinth fish.png
Labyrinth spear.png (8.31 KB)
Labyrinth spear.png

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:25 pm
Those last set of screens look gorgeous.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:15 pm
Congratulations slogra. Is very nice.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:14 pm
This might be a bit premature but, have you tried to see if your mod is compatible with the FM-music mod?
Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:45 pm
No, i'm afraid it's not compatible with the FM mod. For the FM mod a new music driver was created by ValleyBell. And he rewrote both PSG and FM songs for that driver.

My songs are written in the format of the original game, which is not compatible with the FM mod driver.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:17 pm
slogra wrote
No, i'm afraid it's not compatible with the FM mod. For the FM mod a new music driver was created by ValleyBell. And he rewrote both PSG and FM songs for that driver.

My songs are written in the format of the original game, which is not compatible with the FM mod driver.

Oh, I thought that you had only changed sprites, not music.
Do you have a newer patch than the one you have in the first post "SonicTheHedgehog-SMS-Genesis-Mod-1.02"?

Just FYI, I patched the SMS Sonic ROM with the "SonicTheHedgehog-SMS-FM-Mod-1.02" patch first and then with the above "Genesis" patch and the resulting ROM does indeed have both the FM audio AND your Sonic sprites.

I played the first two levels plus the bonus "spinball" and everything appears to be working fine...
Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:44 pm
1.02 is a very old version. Only Sonic himself was changed, so no music or any other changes.
In this thread you can find newer versions.

This is a direct link to the latest version posted in this thread:
https://www.smspower.org/forums/download.php?id=20566
Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:36 pm
Yes, I didn't see the newer patches.

Again, just FYI, I tried patching the files the other way around, first patching the ROM with your patch and then patching the resulting ROM with the FM patch. The game works with all your sprites and the FM music but, predictably, your own music is indeed lost.

Just for giggles I created a BPS patch using Floating IPS if you'd like to test it :)
Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:27 pm
It also works with my latest version.

I changed music pointers (marble) and music in the level header (sky base), but those are also being reverted after applying the FM patch.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:40 am
I'm changing a lot of stuff in Sky Base/Star Light zone. I've removed the zeppelin, so this will be a "normal" looking level, like act 1.
Edit: in the level editor it is possible to disable the bobbing of the camera in the zeppelin level, so i did. And i removed the moving clouds.

The big propeller of the zeppelin has been replaced by spikes. This propeller used 4 colors for color cycling. I used those colors to fix the ringcolors and even add 2 shades of blue. The stars look much better in blue. I've just added the skyscapers as well.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:29 pm
slogra wrote
I'm changing a lot of stuff in Sky Base/Star Light zone. I've removed the zeppelin, so this will be a "normal" looking level, like act 1.
Edit: in the level editor it is possible to disable the bobbing of the camera in the zeppelin level, so i did. And i removed the moving clouds.

The big propeller of the zeppelin has been replaced by spikes. This propeller used 4 colors for color cycling. I used those colors to fix the ringcolors and even add 2 shades of blue. The stars look much better in blue. I've just added the skyscapers as well.

I can't wait to test it! It's very cool.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:53 am
Have you either turned off the seizure inducing lighting or just disabled the lightning all together in Starlight Zone/Sky Base Zone?
Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:17 pm
Both lightning effects are still there for you to enjoy. It only requires one color in the palette for the lightning "bolts"/lines. For the fullscreen lightning all existing colors are simply brighter.

The propellor is in act2 only, but Skybase 1 and 2 use the same tileset. So if i wanted extra colors in act1 it meant i had to free them in both.
I have removed the propellor in act2 which used the 4 colors for the "animation".

After removing i had 4 colors available. I used 2 for gold ring colors. And 2 for blue stars and skyscrapers.

If you view the palette in an emulator like mekaw then you see which colors are used for the effects in the original game.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:22 pm
Last edited by slogra on Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
I'm happy to reveal the latest beta of my hack. It is very close to the release now.
Download the patch here: https://www.smspower.org/forums/download.php?id=21399

Let me know if there are things that are really bothering you. It can be about pixels, placement of background details, anything. Now is the time to let me know and I'll try to fix it.

Improving the music is very difficult for me, so I probably won't change it anymore. But if there are parts of music that you really do not like, then i can still give it a shot though.

Enjoy!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:31 pm
Well, i did tests and stop in Labyrinth Zone.
Green Hill Zone act 1 - I saw parts that seems not connected with others in stage.
act 2 - Wonderful 3D effect in walls. I guess that not would be possible. Congratulations!

Marble Zone - Everything seems cool for me.

Spring Yard - I still think that path to emerald is a bit blocked. The others parts are cool.

Labyrinth Zone - I dont know. Do you changed the sound effect to countdown drowning ? I dont liked the unidasu color changed to brown but im understanding that background have more green, so you must have need in change it.
Soon i will test more.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:14 pm
Thanks for checking it out. Wow, you played fast! :)

I guess you mean the background rocks not being connected? That is something i had to do, because it would require too many tiles to make it continuous.
You think i should add more 3d effect in act 1 and 3 as well?

Nice to hear you like Marble. I changed the color of the bricks only very recently (same goes for greenhill actually). The SMS palette just does not have the right colors for it, but this is as close it can get.

I'll think about the emerald path in jungle again, but it should be a bit hidden imho.

Sorry, I can't change sound effects.
Unidus is brown in the genesis version, so that is the reason i changed his color.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:45 am
I guess you mean the background rocks not being connected? That is something i had to do, because it would require too many tiles to make it continuous.

No, see the screenshot attached. After 3 coconut.

Unidus is brown in the genesis version, so that is the reason i changed his color.

I liked the other version but is only my opinion.
You think i should add more 3d effect in act 1 and 3 as well?

I think that you can compare with genesis and see if need more touches. For me, for now, is excellent.
I also like how you used the tiles "goal" in bonus stage. Maybe it could stay in end and not below of sign. I dont know.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:54 am
Tested at end (Kega Fusion emulator used).
Scrap Brain Zone act 1 - Great backgrounds animations.
Act 2 - I dont liked the teleport changes. IMHO the original effect when sonic enter in teleport was good.
Starlight Zone act 1 - Floor problem fixed. Beautiful music. I like how you change the guns colors as same in stage walls. This will difficult a bit more in confuse the player.
Starlight Zone act 2 - Great remake for cannons. Maybe you could use others assets from original genesis version. For example, what about use the Starlight fan in plataform ?
Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:51 am
The gap is there because of the flower. To close the gap i can either:
- Remove the flower at that spot.
- create blocks with a flower and water/rocks around it. But due to block limitation, i'll have sacrifice 2 other blocks.
- I can put a green plant there, because i already have blocks for that, as in the screenshot.

But at other parts, there will still be gaps and islands, because there is the same problem with the flowers, totem and slopes.
Hopefully those gaps will not be as annoying to you.
gapfix.png (11.41 KB)
gapfix.png

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:12 am
segarule wrote
Tested at end (Kega Fusion emulator used).
Scrap Brain Zone act 1 - Great backgrounds animations.
Act 2 - I dont liked the teleport changes. IMHO the original effect when sonic enter in teleport was good.
Starlight Zone act 1 - Floor problem fixed. Beautiful music. I like how you change the guns colors as same in stage walls. This will difficult a bit more in confuse the player.
Starlight Zone act 2 - Great remake for cannons. Maybe you could use others assets from original genesis version. For example, what about use the Starlight fan in plataform ?

Happy to hear you like scrapbrain. I put a lot of effort in making it look a bit more interesting.
I don't think i'll change the teleport. It looks more like Genesis now, and i'm happy with it. It has some limitations what you can do with those blocks, without breaking the teleport function, else i would make it look more interesting.
Star Light music used to be my least favorite, because it was very basic due to space limits. After solving that it is now one of my favorites.
Do you mean the small rotating cannons, or the big cannons?
The big cannons are also platforms, which is the reason why they look like this. The current cannon are from the Genesis as you can see in the screenshots.
I don't think the fan would work for a cannon and the animation will not work.
bigcannons.png (10.36 KB)
bigcannons.png

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:23 am
slogra wrote
The gap is there because of the flower. To close the gap i can either:
- Remove the flower at that spot.
- create blocks with a flower and water/rocks around it. But due to block limitation, i'll have sacrifice 2 other blocks.
- I can put a green plant there, because i already have blocks for that, as in the screenshot.

But at other parts, there will still be gaps and islands, because there is the same problem with the flowers, totem and slopes.
Hopefully those gaps will not be as annoying to you.

Maybe remove the flower. I dont know. You is knowing refine this very well.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:29 am
slogra wrote
Happy to hear you like scrapbrain. I put a lot of effort in making it look a bit more interesting.
I don't think i'll change the teleport. It looks more like Genesis now, and i'm happy with it. It has some limitations what you can do with those blocks, without breaking the teleport function, else i would make it look more interesting.
Star Light music used to be my least favorite, because it was very basic due to space limits. After solving that it is now one of my favorites.
Do you mean the small rotating cannons, or the big cannons?
The big cannons are also platforms, which is the reason why they look like this. The current cannon are from the Genesis as you can see in the screenshots.
I don't think the fan would work for a cannon and the animation will not work.

Im dont express myself very well. The big cannons are great i mean. You dont need change it. I mean about act 2, when sonic need take a floating plataform. You could change the plataform for have a star light "feeling". But is only suggestion.
EDIT: See plataform below. You could do something like as the screenshot at side.
sonic.jpg (34.81 KB)
sonic.jpg

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:40 am
I see what you mean.
I tried changing the platform, but it only consist of 2 tiles repeated 4 times, so I cannot make it similar to the Genesis platform. Also the platform uses the sprite palette, which does not have the enough green colors in it.

I could change the propeller, but i don't think i can make it look better than the original sms propeller.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:26 am
Are there any other gaps or other stuff that looks strange to you in Greenhill?
Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:58 pm
slogra wrote
I see what you mean.
I tried changing the platform, but it only consist of 2 tiles repeated 4 times, so I cannot make it similar to the Genesis platform. Also the platform uses the sprite palette, which does not have the enough green colors in it.

I could change the propeller, but i don't think i can make it look better than the original sms propeller.

Understood.

Are there any other gaps or other stuff that looks strange to you in Greenhill?

No. I dont saw nothing strange more.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:22 pm
Hi Slogra!

First congratulations for the beautiful work. Its amazing!

I'm still playing and as soon as possible I'll send a feed back.

A question. Do you have any ideas for the game map? Improve it, change some things or use these sprties for an intro of stages similar to the mega drive?

Another thing, wouldn't it be better in the bonus stage, change that yellow and green central spring for the red ones of the mega drive version?

slogra01.png (32.29 KB)
slogra01.png

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:58 am
Congratulations Slogra! For a Sonic game that has been hard to hack due to no known editors, you really did nail this one.

As soon as I found out about the new build I raced to put it on my Mega EverDrive to try it!

It plays great on the Mega Drive (real hardware) as expected, no weird glitches or nasty errors, plays great in 50Hz too (which is how I played it). The new art is beautiful, the new music is good and it gives the game more re-play value. The only thing that could improve it to it's fullest is to change the level layouts completely but as it stands, it is great and doesn't need much more work done to it.

The only thing that I didn't like was seeing the blimp still on the map in Star Light Zone Act 2 & 3, since it's not a blimp anymore but a Star Light base the blimp on the map looks out of place as it doesn't exist anymore, other than that, this hack is a ripper!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:00 am
Absolutely love this modification! So far the only bit of feedback I have is from an area in Green hill zone. I'm just waking up here so I'll have to post a screenshot later. Essentially there is an area where sonic is high up but I. The distance there is water and a mountain on the same horizontal plane as the sky. Felt really off seeing that.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:15 am
Adrian wrote
no known editors
*cough*
Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:57 am
There have been 2 level editors for years. An unfinished one by Servx (not sure about this one. i have not used it) and another one by ZeroKilo.
I was quite surprised they have not been used for a hack before, but then again, they were not that easy to find.

The one by ZeroKilo was very functional although it had some nasty bugs.
Maxim has picked up the work from ZeroKilo and improved it quite a bit. He fixed the bugs, made it much easier/faster to use, and last but not least lifted some of the space/compression restriction in the game.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:16 am
I would like to replace the whole map by just the level title in the large font, but i'm unable to program that. Also the map tiles are used in the ending and credits, so it is probably not easy to replace.

Perhaps an easier way would be to skip the map if possible. Is anyone able to program that?
Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:22 pm
Thanks everybody for playing and your feedback.

EmuBoarding wrote
Hi Slogra!
Another thing, wouldn't it be better in the bonus stage, change that yellow and green central spring for the red ones of the mega drive version?

I probably keep it the way it is. I don't think that many red spheres in a row will look good.

Adrian wrote

As soon as I found out about the new build I raced to put it on my Mega EverDrive to try it!

It plays great on the Mega Drive (real hardware) as expected, no weird glitches or nasty errors, plays great in 50Hz too (which is how I played it).

Good to hear it works on real hardware. I don't have an everdrive, so i'm not able to test it myself.

Adrian wrote

The only thing that I didn't like was seeing the blimp still on the map in Star Light Zone Act 2 & 3, since it's not a blimp anymore

This was easy to fix. I just blanked out the blimp tiles.

NewHorizon wrote
The distance there is water and a mountain on the same horizontal plane as the sky.

Alright, please post a screenshot. I tried to hide that kinda problems, but at the same time i want a line of clouds at the top of the screen while walking.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:45 pm
This is the area in act 1-2. It's at the very top of the map above the underground level. To the far left, there is clouds , water and mountains in the background, which feels very off once you take a few steps to the right and are high in the air. I think just having some clouds to the left would be better as it's visually jarring to have an ocean in the sky. Haha[/img]

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:35 am
The camera moves down near that gap with moving platform, so that is why i moved the clouds down too.
The amount of clouds is indeed a bit much there, so i will remove a few.

Btw in the past i had to remove many clouds all over the place due to limits on different blocks. Since then the limit has been stretched a lot, so i will re-add a few clouds at very empty spaces.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:16 pm
Based on your response maybe I was unclear. The clouds look fine, it's the mountains and water in the upper left corner that looks wrong. There shouldn't be mountains and water in the sky. lol
Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:08 pm
It could be a mountain lake :)
Really nice work!
Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:06 pm
I love what you've done with Green Hill, Labyrinth, Scrap Brain, and the Special Stage, but I won't lie, I would definitely have preferred if you kept The Bridge, Jungle, and Sky Base in, with graphics upgraded to Genesis-style, while adding in Marble, Spring Yard, and Star Light as their own Zones with their own layouts. I always felt the 8-bit exclusive Zones are what made it special. Iirc Maxim's S1 editor does allow you to add all-new Zones in. Plus having a longer game than even the Genesis Sonic 1 would be incredible!
Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:31 pm
Thanks!
At the moment it is not possible to add zones or acts with the editor.
It's a nice idea to upgrade those zones, but it's not something i had in mind with my hack.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:27 am
Yeah, I totally get that. Maybe it can be a target in the future perhaps. Also, I never expected the Master System could do such a close port when it comes to graphics. Even my own hack, Sonic 2 DX, doesn't look this good, and I tried to bring Sonic 2 as close to Genesis-style graphics as I could.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:28 am
Changing the level counts would require some hacking of various places in the code that do special things based on the level index, eg the ending and bonus stages use it to decide how to present level start/end screens. It’s not impossible but some way down the list.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:21 pm
I'm curious now. Where can i find Sonic 2 DX? Is that a different hack than Sonic 2 LD?
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:33 pm
slogra wrote
Sonic 2 LD?

That brings back memories.... first hack I ever plucked up the courage to be involved in, I was mostly a pixel monkey but it got me tinkering with ASM.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:50 pm
I only discovered Sonic 2 LD recently, while i was well underway with my own Sonic Genesis hack.
I absolutely love LD, it is very well done. Too bad no additional zones were added besides Emerald Hill. How were the level made? There is no level editor, right?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!