SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Master System 1 gives "No sync" with OSSC

Reply to topic
Master System 1 gives "No sync" with OSSC
Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:20 am
Hello,

I recently bought a Master System 1 (probably a French model, if that matters) and I've been trying to make it work on my monitor since then with no success.

I first bought a cheap SCART to HDMI converter from a shop. The sound worked but the image was almost totally black. I could barely see the edges of the Sega logo if I looked very closely (sadly, I forgot to take a picture). I tried 2 different monitors and 2 different HDMI cables with the same result.
The converter was from AMANKA and is most likely this model or this one (I don't know if there's any difference between them).
I brought it back to the shop, along with my console, for further testing. The image worked using my SCART cable directly on their TV, so my console and cable are not defective, but the image was totally black when using the HDMI adapter (not even the "ghost" image I could see at home).
We tried another HDMI converter of the same model in case mine was defective, we also tried another SCART cable from the shop: same result.
The shop manager apparently never had problems with the adapter until now (but they probably sell it for other consoles usually).

So, I searched for other options online, and it seemed that an OSSC would be the solution. I ordered one (v1.6) and got it yesterday. After plugging everything, I only get a "No sync" error on every input mode.
I updated the firmware which was v0.81a to the newest version, 0.88a. Same result.

From my understanding, the Master System 1 can send RGB, composite and S-video signal, and the OSSC needs an RGB signal.
I don't know much about hardware so I'm a bit lost.
Does the signal sent depend on the cable? This forum post suggests that it does.
Is the cable originally provided by Sega a composite cable?
Would buying this cable solve my problem?

Before I spend more money, I would like some opinions from Master System experts to make sure I'm taking the right decision :)
If there are other cables you would recommend or if you know sellers in France, I would also be interested.
I can check the model/serial number of my console if that helps.
Thanks in advance!

TL;DR
Plugging my Master System 1 on an OSSC only produces a "No Sync" error. Do I need to buy an RGB SCART cable?
Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:11 am
A regular Master System will output composite video and RGB (no S-Video). A properly-wired SCART cable will send both composite and RGB, but a cheap one might only be wired for composite which will not work with the OSSC.

However, the French Master System lacks a video encoder and only outputs RGB signals in a state that is not directly compatible with TV sets, and requires the Adapteur R.V.B. box on its output to amplify the signal. There's some discussion about this in this thread. If you've got a French Master System and are trying to use a generic SCART cable designed for non-French consoles, that probably accounts for the issues you've been having.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:10 pm
Thanks a lot for the reply. This is very instructive.
My previous searches on the forum gave mostly results about SMS 2 or Mega Drive consoles, so I searched a bit more using the new information you gave me, but only found this post to be a bit relevant and the issue was solved by using a cheap SCART to HDMI adapter (that didn't work for me).

benryves wrote
A regular Master System will output composite video and RGB (no S-Video).

Thanks for the correction, I think I misinterpreted this page that explains how to make video mods.

benryves wrote
However, the French Master System lacks a video encoder and only outputs RGB signals in a state that is not directly compatible with TV sets, and requires the Adapteur R.V.B. box on its output to amplify the signal.

Wow, I had no idea that only the French model needed this!
I now realize that I made all my online searches on the topic in English but I might find more appropriate information by searching in French and/or about French Master Systems.

Anyway, I do have this "Adaptateur RVB" (picture attached). The model number (3085) is matching too, in case there would be different versions.
So this should normally work, right?

Can the tests we did at the shop be explained by the fact that both my cable and theirs may have issues, e.g. from aging components, and only the composite signal was going through?

Otherwise, the RGB cable from RetroGamingCables is apparently missing the signal amplifier. So I guess it would not work for me, would it?

I'm also attaching a picture of my console model (3005-09-A) and serial number (40J 58763) in case that helps.
Adapteur RVB.jpg (365.92 KB)
My video cable
Adapteur RVB.jpg
Sega Master System 1 - Model and Serial No.jpg (350.02 KB)
My console model and serial number
Sega Master System 1 - Model and Serial No.jpg

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!