SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Kega fusion: sms aspect ratio

Reply to topic
Kega fusion: sms aspect ratio
Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:24 pm
Hi, I'm using Kega Fusion and I have a problem with the aspect ratio;

with megadrive games, it is fine, but with sms no matter the option, I don't seem to get the correct aspect ratio (gg games I have not tested)

For example, see attachments:

In alex kidd, I guess the star box is supposed to be more of a square than a rectangle; in the first pic "alex 1" (kega fusion), the height is more stretched so the box and the rest of the pic seems deformed, the second pic "alex 2" (another emulator) seems more correct

Same with wonderboy and its icons: the hourglass and sword at the top, but also the red arrow, seems like they should have been a square

So I think kega fusion is at fault here.
The problem is that I'm already using the "fixed aspect: Fit" option enabled (pictures), because otherwise, the game will be even more stretched or too big for the screen (and still wrong aspect) when using the other aspect options/combination.
All this using 1920x1080. If I choose 640x480 the screen never changes from each option and it's pretty much like 1920x1080 with the fixed aspect fit option enabled, but it's still wrong.

Also using ntsc aspect helps a bit, but it's not enough or the proper solution

Basically I never get the result of the "2" pictures.

Any suggestions?
alex 1.png (132.72 KB)
alex 1.png
alex 2.jpg (161.79 KB)
alex 2.jpg
wonderboy 1.jpg (190.88 KB)
wonderboy 1.jpg
wonderboy 2.jpg (214.67 KB)
wonderboy 2.jpg

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:29 am
Any reason why you want to use Kega specifically?

As far as I know, Kega is severely outdated and highly inaccurate in a number of ways. If you get better results on another emulator, why not just use that one instead?

Have you tried Emulicious? I think it has various display options you can tweak to your liking. It's also the most accurate emulator I know.
Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 12:59 am
I always used it especially for megadrive (I'm not sure if the accuracy there is better than the sms version, maybe it could?). Though I have used it for sms too in the past but at the time I didn't pay attention to the aspect ratio.

The thing is that I thought kega was widely used (apparently more in years ago) and appreciated in general, but I feel like more people should have noted or got annoyed by this aspect ratio issue, but searching around I couldn't find much discussions. Because well, I doubt it's a problem of my setup/hardware only. Nothing serious for sure, but still... different.

The other emulator was finalburn, though it doesn't have the FM sound (and in general I prefer to use dedicated emus)

I tried Emulicious and yes, it's much better, thanks! I might have to mess around more than a few moments but the first impression is good. There are several options about the aspect ratio and the default one is already the correct one. Also I didn't found a vsync option but it doesn't seem like I'm getting particular screen tearing. Lag input seems acceptable

I found one issue with the FM sound though. In wonderboy, when I'm knocking the doors, it only does 2 "knocking sounds" instead of 3. Which is weird since when I disable fm, it does 3. I also found a video of some guy playing on real console + fm, and it's 3 again. Maybe it's a bug of this emu then?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!