Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Anyone have a list of Game Gear/SMS games that are a one-to-one port of one another?

Reply to topic
Anyone have a list of Game Gear/SMS games that are a one-to-one port of one another?
Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:23 pm
As I understand it, the Game Gear is basically an SMS but with a different output ratio and the GG can display a few extra colors.

That said, it was rather easy to port SMS games to the Game Gear, and vice versa.

I'm curious, does someone have a list of games that were ports of the same game to the both systems? A good example of what I'm talking about is Sonic 2. Sonic 2 for SMS and Game Gear are basically the exact same game. What others are like this?
Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:35 pm
Do we have a list of games that appeared on both the SMS and GG? I expect most games on that list would be almost identical on both consoles.

But, there are at least two types of game where that isn't the case:

1. Games which were ported from another system in two separate ways. For example, Out Run and Desert Strike are on both consoles but have significant differences because the SMS and GG ports were developed independently.

2. Games which were completely different on the two consoles, e.g. Fantasy Zone. It might be possible to search our wiki for games in this category because their pages explicitly opt-out of being marked as "Same Game, Different Console".
Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:44 pm
Funny that Sonic 2 was mentioned.

RetroPals has for some years been ranking "mascot platformers" in both 2D and 3D.
(where they generally play a game for like a half hour or so to get a feel for it and then rank whether it is "better or worse than Bubsy: Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind")

One game they played was SMS Sonic 2.
They normally play just one version of games released on multiple consoles, but they already said this will be one exception. They will consider GG Sonic 2 separately.
I would only guess because of course in America, the GG version was the only version officially available (until the Wii? Maybe one of the random Sonic or Sega compilations between then.) and Sonic 2 was practically the standard kiosk demo game. Thus probably that game that game and the console probably had their impression linked together by many here.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!