Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Alex Kidd DX Pre-Orders Open

Reply to topic
Alex Kidd DX Pre-Orders Open
Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:17 pm
https://signatureeditiongames.com/search?type=product&q=alex

You're welcome!!
Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:41 am
Well, I´ve seen this but the artwork still isn´t my cup of tea. Since the Switch is more a blast to the past regarding the games I have for it, Alex would be the perfect addition to it. I need a better look at the game itself before I decide. I don´t know why they made him so ugly, he doesn´t look like Alex at all =(
Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:17 pm
Bought it!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:17 pm
Gordman wrote
the artwork still isn´t my cup of tea.

I agree. The issue for me is the developers have redrawn Alex with their own style. I'm sure others like it, but for a remaster I like fidelity to the original material. (Loved the Wonderboy remake, they nailed it.)

Anyway thanks for the heads up 8BitBoy!
Alex_Kidd_EnchantedCastle.png (82.54 KB)
Looks good to me
Alex_Kidd_EnchantedCastle.png

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:29 am
Jair wrote
I agree. The issue for me is the developers have redrawn Alex with their own style. I'm sure others like it, but for a remaster I like fidelity to the original material.

I always loved Alex Kidd, aside from some debate about other Alex Kidd games who followed Miracle World.

I must be fair: The graphics of the game are amazing. My only complain is about how the characters was portrayed in this style, putting some new visual for the characters, characters who are loved from a long time in that art style...

In my vision, Alex is a martial artist trained under the Blocken / Shellcore Style. Even some of Alex arts, incluing his sprites from Miracle World, his appearence in Project X Zone, and the cover art from Complete Album by IKa, features strips in the sleeves, making Alex's red suit looking like the pattern of Bruce Lee's yellow suit. The clothes Alex uses in Enchanted Castle and in the 3D models resember clothes from royalty, who makes sense once Alex found out he is a prince.

But my real complains in the visual part in this new game are:

1) Alex using a scarf...
2) Janken being fat...
3) Rooney / Lora don't have a cute face... and...
4) Alex eating an hamburger instead of an onigiri (I hope this game features: getting the onigiri leads to the next normal stage, and getting a hamburger leads to an alterntive path).

Now... I will speculate, but in the latest trailer, at 0:59... If that knight is Egul / Egle... OMG... O-M-G!!! I'll just be quiet for now, because I want to believe that knight is just some random NPC added into the game just to give tips to the player...

Overall, I'm completely sold!! I'll buy it in all the the systems I can. Digitally... But I would love to get a physical edition...

About the physical edition, I don't understand why there's one version for the PS4 and other for the PS5. Why not just have only the PS4 version, but with boost/update for the PS5 version in the same disc? Just like the Xbox One version who have enhancements for the Series systems...

I would like to see an US release of the physical media...

Jair wrote
(Loved the Wonderboy remake, they nailed it.)

Dragon's Trap remake is pure love!! If I have to point one single fault in the game is Bock's hair is different from the original (I just love the style of the blond hair from the original art), but it's nothing, once this game is fully beautiful... S2
Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:09 am
I really don't understand this sentiment, I love the new art style and from my eyes, it's very faithful to the original material. The style also reminds me a bit of Soul Bubbles (another quality Bock game).
alex.png (1.56 MB)
alex.png

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:39 pm
rouken wrote

About the physical edition, I don't understand why there's one version for the PS4 and other for the PS5. Why not just have only the PS4 version, but with boost/update for the PS5 version in the same disc? Just like the Xbox One version who have enhancements for the Series systems...

Agree with you, i comment this with friends.
I think that probably Sony don't allow this ...

What I think about the game is that I love it, I like the graphics but not at all. And right now I'm a bit tired of the remasters, I think they are "easy" to do, same maps, same levels but improved graphics and a few more things. Creators play with our nostalgic feelings over and over again and I don't like that.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:22 pm
law81 wrote
And right now I'm a bit tired of the remasters, I think they are "easy" to do, same maps, same levels but improved graphics and a few more things. Creators play with our nostalgic feelings over and over again and I don't like that.

I think it's similar to when a musician does a cover of a song written by someone else. Is it easy to record a cover version of a classic by Led Zeppelin or the Beatles? Every note must still be played... it still has to be done well, and the bar is high. And sometimes it's the only way for a talented band to get some of the attention that they deserve. Sadly, game developers these days are finding themselves in the position that musicians have for decades in that regard. Simply being talented - even being a genius! - is not enough to get you noticed by an audience that is conditioned to only respond to expensive mass media PR campaigns.

Maybe it can be considered closer to when a new version of a classic movie is made. Yes, most of the decisions about mechanics and progression have already been made. But I don't think it is so easy to create and execute the new art direction. It's a mountain of work that must be climbed step by step. And I think when introducing new art elements (parallax backgrounds, for example) you can often run into unexpected challenges that require their own solutions just as if it were a completely original game.

For the music, composers must think about these original compositions that had three or four instrumental voices and flesh them out to new multi-instrument arrangements.

And on the technical side, just thinking about designing an engine that can switch from classic graphics to new graphics on the fly, while considering the new aspect ratio of the contemporary displays... there are probably several ways to consider doing this and each has its own challenges.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:22 pm
Gordman wrote
Well, I´ve seen this but the artwork still isn´t my cup of tea. Since the Switch is more a blast to the past regarding the games I have for it, Alex would be the perfect addition to it. I need a better look at the game itself before I decide. I don´t know why they made him so ugly, he doesn´t look like Alex at all =(

I do love the new Alex look because finally the game adopted its roots when in the beggining the game was planned to be a Dragon Ball game, Alex face is just like Goku and that scarf is emulating what would be Goku's tail, glad the art style is like that and I'm totally conviced to get my copy asap.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:44 pm
FeRcHuLeS wrote

I do love the new Alex look because finally the game adopted its roots when in the beggining the game was planned to be a Dragon Ball game, Alex face is just like Goku and that scarf is emulating what would be Goku's tail, glad the art style is like that and I'm totally conviced to get my copy asap.

Since Dragonball isn´t my cup of tea as well, I still like the original Alex Kidd as he is. Today I decided to not support DX, because it feels wrong to me. So many years, I was wishing to see Alex back into action, but this result is my personal worst case. Maybe the game has a lot of good aspects, but it doesn´t help if I can´t look at the main character at all. It´s not Alex, that´s it. I wish Dotemu would have been the developer. Sorry if it sound harsh, I will come over that frustration soon^^ I can play the original as often as I want to.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:44 am
Gordman wrote
but it doesn´t help if I can´t look at the main character at all. It´s not Alex, that´s it. I wish Dotemu would have been the developer. Sorry if it sound harsh, I will come over that frustration soon^^ I can play the original as often as I want to.

I mean, from my comparison shot I posted above... he looks pretty close to the original character sprite, and I also consider myself to be a fanatic of the original game as it was my first experience with the master system /shrug
Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:13 pm
Gordman wrote

Since Dragonball isn´t my cup of tea as well, I still like the original Alex Kidd as he is. Today I decided to not support DX, because it feels wrong to me. So many years, I was wishing to see Alex back into action, but this result is my personal worst case. Maybe the game has a lot of good aspects, but it doesn´t help if I can´t look at the main character at all. It´s not Alex, that´s it. I wish Dotemu would have been the developer. Sorry if it sound harsh, I will come over that frustration soon^^ I can play the original as often as I want to.

There is still the choice of retro style graphics, doesn't? some people like new style some don't, it's because of selling the game to new audiences, It's better to be open minded to new art styles nowadays (logic of mine).
Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:34 pm
Yes of course you´re right guys. My concern is just his face only, which looks "ugly" to me. It´s a matter of taste =)

FeRcHuLeS wrote
There is still the choice of retro style graphics, doesn't?

Good question, I don´t now to be honest.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:38 am
Last edited by TheAssassin on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
It really bugs me that they used Alex's High-Tech/Enchanted Castle style costume, rather than his original Miracle World/Lost Stars style costume.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:27 am
I think the new art is fine. I'm more concerned with the gameplay, to be honest.

I fear that the new features they announced (no doubt meant to appeal to modern audiences) will ruin the game. From a game design point of view (not counting the janken matches), AKIMW is actually quite intricately designed for what it wants to be, so if they introduced re-usable items or save points, or get rid of the one-hit kills, that would instantly break the game.
I'm also wary of the announced "new stages". AKIMW isn't exactly a short game. If they inflate the content by much, it won't be feasible to complete it in one sitting, thus leading back to the necessity of save points (see above).

Another concern is that from interviews I gather that they didn't even look at reverse-engineering the original engine, like Bock did for the WB3 remake, even though Calindro has already done all the necessary work, but instead just made up their own approximation. This gives me the impression that they are mainly interested in the game as a vehicle to showcase their art, but not so much in the game as such.

I'd like to support the project, but unfortunately I have little faith in it. I'll wait with the purchase until some positive reviews from fans of the original are in.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:59 pm
Gordman wrote
Good question, I don´t now to be honest.

As far as I know the graphics can be replaced by the original graphics.

Kagesan wrote
Another concern is that from interviews I gather that they didn't even look at reverse-engineering the original engine, like Bock did for the WB3 remake, even though Calindro has already done all the necessary work, but instead just made up their own approximation. This gives me the impression that they are mainly interested in the game as a vehicle to showcase their art, but not so much in the game as such.

Although the game has no the word "Remake", in fact it is, I'll give it a try as I'm fascinated, it's maybe because I haven't play it back then in my childhood as most of you, in the end if the game doesn't sell that good as is the impression I've got, then the physical copies will be expensive in the future for game collectors, so think twice.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:40 am
I am waiting for this since the Sega Ages 2500 remake was cancelled. Last year reveal video was a big surprise, because I thought this had been discontinued too. Anyway, I am a big fan of AK, and will buy a digital copy as soon as it hits the virtual stores. I prefer them over physical releases for current generation consoles. I know this is off topic, but with games having so many patches, updates and DLCs, in the end of the day, physical copies will be just overpriced shelf ornaments (cough! Limited Run! cough cough!). Just think of having a Minecraft physical copy in the future, when downloading and installing the whole plethora of stuff will be impossible in a minimally practical (or even legal, if that matters) way for the then aftermarket consoles.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:40 pm
So there's a demo up on Steam for this, and there's a couple of glaring issues:

1) There's no sprite limit (at least not in the remastered visuals), so escaping the ghosts is trickier than the original
2) Jumping backwards is broken. You can do it, but when you punch mid-jump, you won't turn around. Also, it's either way easier to jump backwards than the original, or it's more noticeable because of this. It can be frustrating at times.
3) The "8bit" audio is... ear splitting. It's like the dev went and looked for the worst implementation of SMS audio and went with that.

On the plus side though, it plays and looks glorious. I'm looking forward to playing the full game.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:51 pm
My opinion in so far, based on the demo: The remaked game looks and sounds pretty neat. The physics is different, hence it obviously feels different when playing. And that is the big issue -- switching to the retro version makes it look like a cheap mock up of the original. =(

Overall, I think it still lives up to the hype and will buy it anyway.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:14 am
unfnknblvbl wrote
So there's a demo up on Steam for this, and there's a couple of glaring issues:

1) There's no sprite limit (at least not in the remastered visuals), so escaping the ghosts is trickier than the original
2) Jumping backwards is broken. You can do it, but when you punch mid-jump, you won't turn around. Also, it's either way easier to jump backwards than the original, or it's more noticeable because of this. It can be frustrating at times.
3) The "8bit" audio is... ear splitting. It's like the dev went and looked for the worst implementation of SMS audio and went with that.

On the plus side though, it plays and looks glorious. I'm looking forward to playing the full game.

Yeah I also found #2 and 3 in the first few minutes, kind of annoying but I can live with it.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:19 pm
The backwards jumping thing is infuriating because it happens all the time. I've reported it to the devs, and they say

The developers are looking into that one!

...which is nice. I hope they do something about the 8-bit audio, too. I don't think even Massage was this bad, was it?
Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:09 pm
unfnknblvbl wrote
The backwards jumping thing is infuriating because it happens all the time. I've reported it to the devs, and they say

The developers are looking into that one!

...which is nice. I hope they do something about the 8-bit audio, too. I don't think even Massage was this bad, was it?

Not opened mine up yet, work etc but I'm sure they'll patch that. They are usually very good at Merge.!!
Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:02 pm
unfnknblvbl wrote
So there's a demo up on Steam for this

Thank you for the heads up.
While I stand by my earlier comments about the art style, the little things have impressed me. Being able to choose between rice balls or hamburgers, the fact that Alex punches both with his left and right fists, etc.

I'll probably buy if they release on GOG to show my support... with devs who put out demos, ha ha. Not that common these days.
  • Site Admin
Some screenshots
Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:52 pm
Some gameplay screenshots I took while playing on Stream (include some spoilers)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1333470/Alex_Kidd_in_Miracle_World_DX/

The game has an "infinite live" mode which I found very welcome for non AK experts.
20210521191857_1.jpg (675.75 KB)
20210521191857_1.jpg
20210521192522_1.jpg (666.02 KB)
20210521192522_1.jpg
20210521192732_1.jpg (694.87 KB)
20210521192732_1.jpg
20210521195636_1.jpg (905.46 KB)
20210521195636_1.jpg
20210623211738_1.jpg (915.5 KB)
20210623211738_1.jpg
20210623212022_1.jpg (984.89 KB)
20210623212022_1.jpg

Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:36 am
Don't you fell it too bright? I tried the steam demo and everything seems so bright it kind makes you miss the details, like the yellow is so saturated.
Revo
Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:36 am
I wonder how people manage to play this horror.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:06 pm
After beating the game, I feel it is not that bad as a remake. Of course it is not so pleasant as WB3 or SoR4, but it is enjoyable. So here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
- The new stages add more content to the game;
- Dialogs are much less flat than the original and actually improve the game story;
- Boss battles are much more fun than in the original.

Cons:
- The retro mode. It is simply awful! Did anyone notice the horrible "dash" when walking? The retro sounds are also horrid!
- Collision detection needs some serious improvement. I found myself being killed without properly touching certain enemies (e.g. killer fish).
- Having to obtain all the collectibles in a single playthrough, since apparently you cannot revisit the stages after beating the game. This is rather unfair, because some collectibles cannot be obtained if you are in a vehicle. For instance, to get the dog necklace in the Namui Village, you have to drop the Pedicopter.

Lastly, I found the game rather easy and too short for now days standards. Anyway, it is still an enjoyable experience and perhaps much better than it would be if released back in the 2500 series (just remember what they did with Golden Axe).
alex-kidd-remake-4.png (4.61 KB)
Did anyone find this guy in the game?
alex-kidd-remake-4.png

Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:00 pm
tsp wrote
- Collision detection needs some serious improvement. I found myself being killed without properly touching certain enemies (e.g. killer fish).

What? The sometimes questionable collision detection was literally the one thing in the original that needed fixing. And they didn't do it?

In fact, what people report so far confirms pretty much all my reservations about this remake. They really just seem to have slapped together something superficially similar as an outlet for the new art, but without even being interested in the intricancies of the game's mechanics.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:18 pm
Kagesan wrote

What? The sometimes questionable collision detection was literally the one thing in the original that needed fixing. And they didn't do it?

Punching seems more accurate, you won't miss a block/box while punching during a jump, but the player hurtbox seems cheap. You will get some unfair kills here and there.

Kagesan wrote

In fact, what people report so far confirms pretty much all my reservations about this remake. They really just seem to have slapped together something superficially similar as an outlet for the new art, but without even being interested in the intricancies of the game's mechanics.

Had they left that tremendously bad retro mode out, this game would look way better.
Revo
Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:40 pm
From the Signature Edition.
AlexKiddDX.jpg (281.07 KB)
AlexKiddDX.jpg

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:32 am
with terrible Italian translation on the back.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:47 am
It seems that some people see only the bad things and not the good things ¬¬
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:46 am
law81 wrote

Are there any good things? The german translation is bad as well as the packaging. Keep in mind that this version comes from a german company^^
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:40 am
The terrible box text seems to be original:

https://www.smspower.org/Scans/AlexKiddInMiracleWorld-SMS-EU-NoLimits-R
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:20 pm
Gordman wrote
law81 wrote

Are there any good things? The german translation is bad as well as the packaging. Keep in mind that this version comes from a german company^^

Developed by spanish people.
And yes, it has good things.
Something new always adds, never subtracts, if you don't like it, you can always play the original. Life philosophy :)
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:32 pm
Maxim wrote
The terrible box text seems to be original:

https://www.smspower.org/Scans/AlexKiddInMiracleWorld-SMS-EU-NoLimits-R

Holy cow, that makes it even worse^^

law81 wrote
Developed by spanish people.
And yes, it has good things.
Something new always adds, never subtracts, if you don't like it, you can always play the original. Life philosophy :)

Yeah, I was referring to Strictly Limited, they are german. Of course I won´t play the new version, I don´t think that I´m gonna miss something^^ With such a packaging, it would have been better to release nothing. Sounds hard, but there´s something true in it.

EDIT: Stop, my mistake. Signature Edition is of course not Strictly Limited, I´m sorry. Sometimes I´m confused with the names.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:05 am
Gordman wrote
Holy cow, that makes it even worse^^

That's not how I see it. I would have been disappointed if they didn't carry over all the original awkwardness for such a release. I do think they did a poor job with the layout, though. The text ist too close to the edge, the image cropping is wrong, etc. It looks like a rush job.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:55 pm
law81 wrote

I just meant to say it's a pity to have bad translation on the box. a commercial product should be able to afford some professional translation

I can't speak about the game as I didn't play it, so I didn't mean to say what I didn't say, just what I said
Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:57 am
sverx wrote
law81 wrote

I just meant to say it's a pity to have bad translation on the box. a commercial product should be able to afford some professional translation

You say that, but the original commercial release was just as bad. And on top of that, if they didn't make this special edition cover as close to the original as they could (given sizing & aspect restrictions), they'd have some other fan jumping down their throats about making changes to the perfection that was the original.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:52 am
Well to balance things out, I got my Signature Editions copy for Xbox Series X today, and I love it. All the extra trinkets are cute and are nice additions.

The game itself plays as well as I expected. The bugs I noted in the Steam demo are still there, and I rage quit in the forest level, as per usual.
I like that in the secret level, you still get the bonus money boxes for punching the right spot in the air, but you don't get as many as the original (you can get stacks of them if you do it right)

The whole lose-everything-when-you-continue thing is very very frustrating when in the original, so long as you had enough money to buy a continue, you kept it all.

Maybe I should try infinite lives mode...
Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:55 am
Revo wrote
From the Signature Edition.

I got myself NA standard version and its alternate cover is kinda different.
It only got english text in the back.

Berto-Alex-Kidd-DX.jpg (188.86 KB)
Attachment fairy
Berto-Alex-Kidd-DX.jpg

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!