8 18% 18%
9 22% 22%
10 (Excellent) 40% 40%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Coding competition 2021] Mini MSX by eruiz00
Post Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:15 pm
https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/MiniMSX-SMS

Ummm ... this morning I woke up thinking that this year I had to submit something for the best internet video game competition ...so i took out the finished minigames to date from my new project and compiled them into rom for everyone's pleasure.They are recreations of games that I played in my childhood and that I have always liked. In particular, hype (the original) is an incredible game that everyone should play.

From a technical point of view, comment that each game has its code in its own memory bank, using the common functions that are in the code bank, for this reason the ROM is 128kb, if not, it would stay at 64kb.I would have liked to finish coppervalley (a silvervalley miniclon that is turning out to be more work than I initially planned).

So this is my entry for 2021. Let's see everyone's work and getting fun the weekend. Congratulations to everyone !!!
Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:59 am
Hi eruiz00!!, I thought you would not submit anything this year and It is a great surprise discovering your entry!!
Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:34 am
Well... I am doing copper valley for this minimsx. When i finish it i will upload a new rom. I have three more games half made or projected, too.

One idea behind this is to have a pluggable system (if i compile the assets in the same bank as the game code i would have self contained ganes each one in its bank) as the entry point in the games is always the same. In fact you can split the rom file in 16kb chunks and alter the last four blocks and it will work.

On the other hand, see it as a experiment. The 120x120 canvas is enough to do expresive games, and pico-8 like designs are fun to do( later i though that a 160x160 res could have been more interesting to have gamegear roms of each game)

More: i always loved hype, and this hype micro is really fun to play for me.

Interesting for me is the sound routine of the main car of brutal racing, which is done writing registers to the psg, instead of using predone psg assets.

At last, one of the micro games i have 50% is a ansi c filmation engine like game which i did some years ago and it was tooooo slow, but a fine piece of code after all, but (have to rewrite for a lower resolution and test) should work better with less tiles and pixels to compute each frame.

But all i say here is future work. Who knows when it will be done :)
Revo
Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:01 am

A video of hype micro gameplay
Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:25 am
Last edited by eruiz00 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:10 am
Great idea! 👍
Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:21 am
Wow! Each of these minigames alone would easily suffice as a substantial competition entry. They're highly polished and very playable, with nice, clean visuals and some crackin' music. I've only finished the racing game so far, though.

May I suggest putting acceleration in the racing game on button 1 instead of up? It's a bit difficult to steer with the diagonals. (Unless that's intentional to not make things too easy.)

And is the first game an actual game or is it some joke that I don't get?
Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:00 pm
Kagesan wrote
Wow! Each of these minigames alone would easily suffice as a substantial competition entry. They're highly polished and very playable, with nice, clean visuals and some crackin' music. I've only finished the racing game so far, though.

I agree with every word on these sentences. Great entry and my favorite eruiz game(s) ever!

Kagesan wrote
May I suggest putting acceleration in the racing game on button 1 instead of up? It's a bit difficult to steer with the diagonals. (Unless that's intentional to not make things too easy.)

I prefer it the way it is, because it adds to the "MSX-ish" feeling.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:17 pm
Always glad to read you, kagesan!

I suppose the racing game could have button 1 and two to accelerate and brake, maintaining the up and down keys.

I am working on a little platformer to include in the game (before copper valley) i want to upload the new minigame in two weeks or three. Let's see.

Thanks for all your comments guys, long life z80 and and ansi c!!!
Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:11 am
eruiz00 wrote
I suppose the racing game could have button 1 and two to accelerate and brake, maintaining the up and down keys.

You can brake? Lol, I didn't even try that once!
Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:27 pm
Another wonderful entry - thanks eruiz00 for the nice surprise! :)

I really love this MSX 72 computer, where can I buy one? I see there are plenty of games for this system - some classic and some very cool new stuff I didn't see before. I especially loved the first game, "Red lights of Amsterdam", it's gripping. I'm not sure why sometimes it fails loading properly but I insisted and luckily I got it working. Time well spent! :D

From a technical point of view, comment that each game has its code in its own memory bank, using the common functions that are in the code bank, for this reason the ROM is 128kb, if not, it would stay at 64kb.

You can put more than one game together in the same code bank if the required space is 16 KB at most (you basically compile them to the same BANKn and the linker will do its work.)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:00 pm
Thanks sverx... But the fact is that i cant!!!

I explain, it is my fault, if you check the mapper you will see i am using the traditional lib and not the new one. This is because the new game began before yoyr new lib and i did not changed. I can use code on banks like in this rom, but the entry function in each bank has to be the first label in the assembly (i suppose it has to be in the 0x000 position) if i put a constant before that entry function, wont work.

I know, i could change to the new lib (will do, soon, maybe before the new rom with the fifth game), or make a intermediate function with a param to switch between games in same bank, but not done.

But will, working now.

Regards!!!
Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:13 pm
oh so you're using a single entry point for each whole mini-game and you're paging in mini-games code manually?

then it shouldn't be too hard to switch those to __banked functions and the new devkit - it's basically all just about passing the correct values to the linker and then switch from ihx2sms to makesms

but... whatever float your boat ;)
Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:55 am
Impressive! I like this. It's surprising how fun those games are, even using so little screen space!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:40 pm
Fantastic work! It is a little like Wario Ware DIY for an inferior handheld system, but with far better and more complex games, and on my favorite console. The difficulty is totally right for me. Homebrew games often defeat me early on, but here I can race and fly for minutes and more :)

Actually a setup like this would benefit especially well from implementation of the reset switch. So one can zip around the games, without having to power off the (real) console.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:26 am
Ummm... I think the rom needs more genres in it. Working on a new game now. I fixed the buttons issue on brutal racing. I have implemented the reset button like you say, too. It is a nice idea to reset the virtual console with that button!!!
Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:26 pm
Is the first game 'red lights of amsterdam' supposed to work? I just get 'your computer has failed message'

Great games, love the screen in shot. I also like the controls on extreme racing, it makes it feel very msx.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:08 pm
I was in a label making mood today, so ...... ^^

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:31 pm
Great!!! Will use for the game title (have plans like ingame scores and sram scoring sqve, and a main menu)
Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 am
The graphics are really neat - another great entry from eruiz00...!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:57 pm
Very impressed eruiz00. Fantastic entry.

I'm a Silver Valley fan even hoping for a physical version, so definitely looking to play this again if Copper Valley gets added :D
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!