Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS Power Indicator LED dead?

Reply to topic
SMS Power Indicator LED dead?
Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:12 pm
Hi Gang, Has anyone here done a Master System Power Indicator LED Replacement?
I recently bought a very nice and clean in the box master system and the LED doesn’t work but plays games just fine.
I’d just assume go back with a Regular Green 5mm. I’m considering doing this myself. I’ve noticed people selling security tools for Master Systems and Game Gears on eBay.

Any recommendations, Tips And or Advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Josh
SMS Power Indicator LED dead?
Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:34 am
Weird fault, but OK.

You don't need any special tools to open up a Master System. The LED is just a regular green 5mm LED. Resistor R5 is a part of the LED circuit so testing that and the PCB tracks between the power rail, resistor, LED and ground would be a good idea.

The only tip is that the PCB tracks are a bit delicate so be aware of that as you solder.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:23 am
asynchronous wrote
Weird fault, but OK.

You don't need any special tools to open up a Master System. The LED is just a regular green 5mm LED. Resistor R5 is a part of the LED circuit so testing that and the PCB tracks between the power rail, resistor, LED and ground would be a good idea.

The only tip is that the PCB tracks are a bit delicate so be aware of that as you solder.

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Lol,Yeah I agree it is weird.
I’ll hunt down a schematic for the Master System at some point today. I need one anyway for my Sega file.
I had considered if the LED is dead just soldering to the legs of the existing LED as to not even getting close to the traces but who knows what will end up being the problem.

Once again Thanks a lot!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!