Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Funkey S micro emulation handheld

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Funkey S micro emulation handheld
Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:43 am
I saw a video about this and look, Game Gear Sonic on the front page:

https://www.funkey-project.com/

Inside it’s just another portable SoC emulation thing and it is a tiny, low-resolution square screen, but maybe it’s interesting to see.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:11 am
cute, but unplayably small..
Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:12 am
Disclaimer: my hands aren't very large

I have one and actually use it a fair bit. The Game Gear emulation is OK-ish after the latest firmware update since now it remembers the aspect ratio setting. The Mega Drive and Master System emulation suffer more on that small screen, but some games work well despite that. My most frequent game is actually one of the PS1 ports of Puyo Puyo Tsū which I find myself playing every few days. It competes with the Game Gear Micro version of the same game (on the Micro hardware, which is better in some ways but far more limited in software options) on equal footing, fun-wise

I thought the buttons (tactile switches) might be a problem but it is actually just fine for a bit of quick gaming (an hour or less at a stretch) and it handily autosaves when you close it and offers resumption upon re-opening. Also the screen is not bad for something so small. It does grow quite warm with use

The battery life and the unfortunate lack of headphone support (combined with low-quality built-in sound due to tiny size are the greatest weaknesses in my opinion

On the strengths side it truly appears to be fully open-source, though I haven't yet tried writing any "native" software for it. Maybe someday a Meka port could fit on it?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!