Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS TMNT Homebrew

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:23 pm
If you draw each section carefully you'll get some really smooth animation.

The down side is you'll need another system for doing the flames in the doorways.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:39 am
This project is making my brain explode! lol I hope it blows the NES version out of the water.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:40 am
Keep your pants, for the moment its mostly mockups & reflexions ^_^

Building a BTU engine (on our very limited system) is a big task.
But its really an interesting thing on many points as you should think about few functions ; metasprite handling(optimised data,y-order), pseudo IA, map handling(custom compression/scroll/collision/waves) and collision between metasprites ;)
Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:02 am
Do you think with time other Ni****do titles such as Castlevania etc could be converted to Master System? I'm guessing it would be quite messy with all the code having to be rewritten.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:30 am
The boring answer is that a version of any NES game could be made for the Master System, with different sacrifices made to suit the different strengths and weaknesses of the machine. But given the different CPUs and architecture it's going to be a complete rewrite each time.

This looks awesome by the way, it's great to see some of the cool things the master system can do with sufficient time and motivation!
Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:37 am
This is so epic! What an undertaking. Well done mate!
Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:09 pm
Small update, did some sprite work, revamped some older resources. Created a project editor which is almost complete. The meta sprite section remains. To automate frame data and remove empty cells from imported graphics. Also collision data for the game. I'll have more to show in a couple weeks.
leo_compare_0001.gif (16.36 KB)
WIP Leo animation
leo_compare_0001.gif
sms_tmnt_0017.png (58.92 KB)
Custom editor
sms_tmnt_0017.png
sms_tmnt_0018.png (36.36 KB)
Custom editor
sms_tmnt_0018.png

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:49 pm
Everything is wonderful. I have a curiosity: You will compose the music and sound effects? or will ask for other composer ?
Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:01 pm
segarule wrote
Everything is wonderful. I have a curiosity: You will compose the music and sound effects? or will ask for other composer ?

I will ask, or commission. Last resort, I do it myself. Which I assume would be a huge undertaking. I don't plan on doing anything audio, until I have something solid to show. I would like to try to add FM audio, but the more I delve into the subject, the more restrictive it sounds. I'm no guru, however.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:21 pm
xfixium wrote
segarule wrote

I will ask, or commission. Last resort, I do it myself. Which I assume would be a huge undertaking. I don't plan on doing anything audio, until I have something solid to show. I would like to try to add FM audio, but the more I delve into the subject, the more restrictive it sounds. I'm no guru, however.

I only asked because the turtles soundtracks - Konami games- are very very audacious. I imagine that will give hard work for a composer reach the atmosphere in game. Well i dont know expert in FM. From i know Softhouse used only 3 channels to keep compatibility with PSG. Seems that if you use all resources will need add 2 compositions different in rom which will increase the final size.BUT i can be talking a great bullshit.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:53 pm
segarule wrote

I only asked because the turtles soundtracks - Konami games- are very very audacious. I imagine that will give hard work for a composer reach the atmosphere in game. Well i dont know expert in FM. From i know Softhouse used only 3 channels to keep compatibility with PSG. Seems that if you use all resources will need add 2 compositions different in rom which will increase the final size.BUT i can be talking a great bullshit.

I agree, the sound track needs to be on point, but I'm keeping my expectations low. I'm not too worried about space. It's more of a bridge I'll cross when it needs to be. My overall target is to keep it within a megabyte. 62 banks of data seems insanely high to me for this project, but we'll see how much is used in the end. I could also be talking great bullshit lol.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:16 am
Any thoughts on level maps?
Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:27 am
under4mhz wrote
Any thoughts on level maps?

Design wise, for now, keep them similar to the n*s tmnt2 version. Stage 2 looks challenging with the one section scrolling horizontally and vertically. Not entirely sure how that's going to workout with the hud intact. Other stages seem pretty cut and dry for the most part. There will be parts where tilesets will need to be swapped out dynamically, most likely in chunks. Like in stage 2 and perhaps scrolling sections with cars, motorcycles, snow plow etc... etc... For now, my focus is stage 1 only. As I said in a prior post, I want to get the game done up till that point, and release a demo.

Other thoughts, it would be nice to add on another Sega specific level. Maybe an option to play original mode vs extended? If at all possible, unlockable characters. Then on the turtle select screen press up or down to select them. That would be an interesting challenge all on its own.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:39 pm
xfixium wrote
Design wise, for now, keep them similar to the n*s tmnt2 version.

I found some level maps here:
https://vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/index.htm#TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles
Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:17 am
under4mhz wrote

I found some level maps here:
https://vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/index.htm#TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles

Thanks for the link!
Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:30 am
I like playing around with the sms palette, as you may have noticed.
So these are different takes on some of the graphics.
The arcade colors seem to need a gamma correction. I tried to fix that.

The darker green of the turtles works well in this picture, but in other graphics not so much.
I like that you changed the shields to brown, but i was too lazy to change it. Same goes for the background colors of Splinter.

April has blue in her eye on the right frame, but not in the left. Is that a mistake (in the game or by the gfx ripper)?
april recolor2.png (2.31 KB)
april recolor2.png

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:58 am
slogra wrote
I like playing around with the sms palette, as you may have noticed.
So these are different takes on some of the graphics.
The arcade colors seem to need a gamma correction. I tried to fix that.

The darker green of the turtles works well in this picture, but in other graphics not so much.
I like that you changed the shields to brown, but i was too lazy to change it. Same goes for the background colors of Splinter.

April has blue in her eye on the right frame, but not in the left. Is that a mistake (in the game or by the gfx ripper)?

Oh wow, nice. I'll have to do a compare with the current stuff I got, see if it fits better. I'm still on the fence with certain things, color wise. I believe that April's eye only changes on only that one eye, in the game, from what recall. I just took it as twinkle in her eye kinda thing lol
technodrome.png (14.15 KB)
wip technodrome rip
technodrome.png

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:07 am
Basically i would avoid large areas of pure green (00ff00) because it's too bright. And also the green/brown colors (555500, aaaa00, aaaa55), if possible. If you need more shades of brown then there is no way around it.
That goes for these cartoony pictures. In other graphics like backgrounds it's no problem. The pure green works well in small proportions like in the ingame turtles.

That Technodrome looks really out of this world! Love the purple colors.
Also the burning house outside looks perfect.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:09 am
Here's the level one map done in all it's artistic glory.

I don't suppose anyone has some code lying around to scroll a large tile-based image around on an SMS, do they?
level1.png (25.33 KB)
level1.png

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:06 am
under4mhz wrote
I don't suppose anyone has some code lying around to scroll a large tile-based image around on an SMS, do they?

There's Psidum GSLib, but it requires the image to be both wider and taller than the screen. If this is acceptable, you can check it here.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:07 am
slogra wrote
Basically i would avoid large areas of pure green (00ff00) because it's too bright. And also the green/brown colors (555500, aaaa00, aaaa55), if possible. If you need more shades of brown then there is no way around it.
That goes for these cartoony pictures. In other graphics like backgrounds it's no problem. The pure green works well in small proportions like in the ingame turtles.

That Technodrome looks really out of this world! Love the purple colors.
Also the burning house outside looks perfect.

I agree, and I may change the colors of the turtle sprites in the future as well. I made some changes, tell me what you think. I did use the greenish brown for april and splinter in a small amount, as it prevents solid black lines that I feel are a bit thick in some areas.

under4mhz wrote
Here's the level one map done in all it's artistic glory.

I actually have level one pretty much wrapped up (Most of level 2 as well). While the graphics from the n*s version are acceptable for the n*s, I feel the master system can do much better, and get closer to the arcade version.
sms_tmnt_0014.png (11.53 KB)
Select screen wip with Slogra's suggestions
sms_tmnt_0014.png
sms_tmnt_0013.png (57.68 KB)
Top original, middle my wip, bottom your versions
sms_tmnt_0013.png

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:40 am
Words any Master System fan loves to see!! Getting very excited for this one.

"I feel the master system can do much better, and get closer to the arcade version".
Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:03 am
Actually I meant brown shield at the back only, and yellow on front. But both brown looks great too.

In general, it's hard to say how the color of the arcade are meant to be. I'm quite sure the darker colors had to be darker, as the brown lines looked really weird before.
But what the shield should be, yellow or brown, i dunno. Perhaps the brown/green will work on the shields.
Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:17 am
slogra wrote
Actually I meant brown shield at the back only, and yellow on front. But both brown looks great too.

I just threw it out there, not sure about it. It doesn't look bad, wondering if it's the way to go though.

slogra wrote

In general, it's hard to say how the color of the arcade are meant to be. I'm quite sure the darker colors had to be darker, as the brown lines looked really weird before.

I want to say the brown lines seemed like a glitch, but it may have been a style choice. It seems to only affect April and Splinter only though. So I view it more of a glitch.

slogra wrote
But what the shield should be, yellow or brown, i dunno. Perhaps the brown/green will work on the shields.

Yeah, not sure myself, but as always, thanks for your input.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:17 am
Here's the bodacious first pass of tmnt in all it's colourful n*s glory.

Thanks largely to kusfo for his excellent GSLib demo mastersystembrawler

At this point, my plan is to never touch this again.
tmnt.png (7.52 KB)
tmnt.png
tmnt-1.png (4.1 KB)
tmnt-1.png
tmnt-0.01.zip (882.67 KB)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:24 am
Interesting. My worry about this game is with framerate with all objects running in screen.

Actually you is in any project? You could do other Nes game. For example, Castlevania.

sprites here:
https://nesmaps.com/maps/Castlevania/sprites/CastlevaniaSprites.html
There is maps too.
https://nesmaps.com/maps/Castlevania/CastlevaniaBGonly.html
Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:48 am
under4mhz wrote

Thanks largely to kusfo for his excellent GSLib demo mastersystembrawler

:love:
Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:59 pm
under4mhz wrote

Outstanding work, congrats! And thanks for sharing your advances with us, this project looks really promising. I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

Actually you is in any project? You could do other Nes game. For example, Castlevania.

Well, this is a bit off-topic, but I have always thought that maybe a graphic-map hack of "Master of Darkness" would be better to start a game from scratch.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:30 am
I'm definitely interested in seeing where this goes from here. I've seen a Mega Man 2 port for the SMS being worked on, albeit unsure of its progress currently. The fact it looks so close to the arcade original gives me high hopes. Hopefully, you'll be able to assemble a team to help you out on this.

And the best part of this being a Master System game, is we can play it on Game Gear or the Analogue Pocket as well!

As for those who keep bringing up porting Castlevania, I'd rather see the MSX2 version ported to Master System, since it's a version rarely ported to other systems, and it would be neat to see the graphics redone to actually take advantage of the SMS as well.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:45 am
I've been working on various resources for the game, and some optimizations. Updated palettes, created more resources etc.. etc... I'm currently working on various sprite type things, for the main game play state. I was hoping to show that this weekend, but next weekend will have to do.

I also went back to another program that I worked on a bit ago that reads Phantasy Star IV data. Thanks to Maxium for keying me in on metatiles. Because of that I was able to recreate map data, finally.

Also, devkit sms is pretty damn awesome. That is all, lol till next time.

wip vid:
https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_tmnt/videos/tmnt_0002.mp4
Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:50 pm
That is impressive. The scrolling effects in particular make it look professional.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:27 am
It's looking great.

If the moon was a sprite here you could scroll the clouds (as high priority tile) in front of it, which will give you the same effect as the arcade on this screen.
moonskyline.png (201.21 KB)
moonskyline.png

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:05 am
under4mhz wrote
That is impressive. The scrolling effects in particular make it look professional.

Thanks!

Emrabt wrote
It's looking great.

If the moon was a sprite here you could scroll the clouds (as high priority tile) in front of it, which will give you the same effect as the arcade on this screen.

I was planning on using 8 x 16 sprites for the cloud that moves in from the left, but doing it with priority tiles could work as well, maybe easier that way, tbh. I just have to be mindful of the purple color in the cloud, as it's the same as the sky color. Thanks for the suggestion.

This is still in wip, so there are many more things to be added to these intro scenes. Like the text fading in, which I'm currently working on, and some small scrolling here and there. I still have the meta sprite editor to complete on the companion software I have made. I added a dialog editor of sorts, to export text data. Still debating it's usefulness, but for this project, it works.
sms_tmnt_0019.png (47.63 KB)
sms_tmnt_0019.png

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:16 pm
Been digging up SMS projects of mine, trying to move the ball further on them. I have done some more sprite work on the Street Fighter II project. Finishing up the last 7 frames for Blanka that I needed. I had thought I finished them previously, but I must of been on crack or something. I may have some news on that soonish as well.

I also dug up the TMNT code. I spent time writing and testing animation code I plan on implementing within the TMNT codebase. Nothing too exciting. I made a test program to vet the import code from my SMS Tile Studio application. Test moving a turtle around the screen, very basic. More states in the works. Right now it's just walking and idle.

https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_tmnt/videos/tmnt_0005.mp4

Edit: Other misc. vids I haven't updated on here yet:

https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_tmnt/videos/tmnt_0003.mp4
https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_tmnt/videos/tmnt_0004.mp4
sms_tmnt_0020.png (20.07 KB)
sms_tmnt_0020.png
sms_tmnt_0021.png (44.87 KB)
sms_tmnt_0021.png

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:10 pm

You would must put XFX (xfixium) the first place in 10 Best Players! LOL.
I think that Shredder have few colors variety but is only my opinion. Everything is excellent.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:59 pm
segarule wrote

I think that Shredder have few colors variety but is only my opinion. Everything is excellent.

I will have to make that change XD Maybe I should have SMS and PWR for the next 2? lol Unless some people want theirs in for the default top ten?

Not sure I could do much better with Shredder. I believe I had enough colors to replace the original art when I converted it. It's lil complicated, as some tiles are using the BG palette, and some are using the SPR
palette. Some parts overlapping, so it might've been limited (Speech bubble and text, for instance). It looks innocent enough though, like it didn't take much planning. However, with the master system, that rarely seems to be the case, if you want good results.

EDIT: Included a comparison pic, let me know what you would change.
tmnt_compare_0002.png (25.48 KB)
Arcade vs SMS wip
tmnt_compare_0002.png

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:12 am
I would change the darker purple of Shredder to a bit darker, so the details are visible better. This might be what Segarule means as well.

Other than that, it looks awesome, dude!

Btw i really like the fade in effect of the font at the bio in one of your movies. I wonder how you did that.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:47 am
slogra wrote
I would change the darker purple of Shredder to a bit darker, so the details are visible better. This might be what Segarule means as well.

Other than that, it looks awesome, dude!

Btw i really like the fade in effect of the font at the bio in one of your movies. I wonder how you did that.

Hmmm, I see. Shouldn't be too complicated for a palette change.

The code basically keeps track of the fading tiles as it draws them out in an array, about 4 characters worth or so. The text tiles are quite a lot, if I don't choose to optimize them, but for most instances, it's fine.

Eventually all of my source will be available. Including the editor I created.

EDIT: Color change applied

https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_tmnt/videos/tmnt_0006.mp4
tmnt_fonts.png (78.09 KB)
Four fonts to rule them all
tmnt_fonts.png

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:12 am
xfixium wrote
segarule wrote

I will have to make that change XD Maybe I should have SMS and PWR for the next 2? lol Unless some people want theirs in for the default top ten?

Not sure I could do much better with Shredder. I believe I had enough colors to replace the original art when I converted it. It's lil complicated, as some tiles are using the BG palette, and some are using the SPR
palette. Some parts overlapping, so it might've been limited (Speech bubble and text, for instance). It looks innocent enough though, like it didn't take much planning. However, with the master system, that rarely seems to be the case, if you want good results.

EDIT: Included a comparison pic, let me know what you would change.

I have a mix of feelings about the 2 pics. IMHO i would chose:

Shredder = right (Much better);
April= left (More soft. The constrast is stronger in right picture)
Bebop= left (The colors in glasses seems a bit mess or redundanct to me )
Rocstead=right (The shadow is more realced ).
This is a personal perception.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:16 pm
segarule wrote

I have a mix of feelings about the 2 pics. IMHO i would chose:

Shredder = right (Much better);
April= left (More soft. The constrast is stronger in right picture)
Bebop= left (The colors in glasses seems a bit mess or redundanct to me )
Rocstead=right (The shadow is more realced ).
This is a personal perception.

I'll keep those suggestions in mind, but I basically don't feel the same way, tbh.

I have pulled the animation stuff into the main tmnt project. It's very early, so there is no sprite priority/y-index/flicker management etc... etc...

I also only have one frame of Raph's walking animation done, so I used Leo's sprites, color swapped.

This is primarily a test if I could get everything in, and running decent.

The vid:
https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_tmnt/videos/tmnt_0008.mp4

Until next time, and as always, thanks for taking the time to take a peek.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:15 pm
Wow, this looks glorious.

You talented people working on modern SMS development really show how good the hardware is. And little by little we're getting the great releases we didn't get back then!
Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:54 am
Being an SMS kid growing up I had to hire a (fake) NES from the local video store just to play this game because I loved it so much and always wished there was a sega port. So this project is like a childhood dream come true! And man is it so much better looking than the NES port! Amazing work!
Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:10 pm
Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:45 pm
slogra wrote
I like that you changed the shields to brown, but i was too lazy to change it. .

So i was too lazy to change the back shield to brown back then, but i did it this time, like i intended. I've seen some other shots with yellow front and brown back shields, and i like it. It might be a nice alternative/hybrid of our versions.

And i have to say, the belts should be brown. Grey looks a bit boring, and they're brown in most art i've seen of the Turtles.

Amazing work anyhow. You are making incredible progress with all the games you are working on! :)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:14 pm
slogra wrote
slogra wrote
I like that you changed the shields to brown, but i was too lazy to change it. .

So i was too lazy to change the back shield to brown back then, but i did it this time, like i intended. I've seen some other shots with yellow front and brown back shields, and i like it. It might be a nice alternative/hybrid of our versions.

And i have to say, the belts should be brown. Grey looks a bit boring, and they're brown in most art i've seen of the Turtles.

Amazing work anyhow. You are making incredible progress with all the games you are working on! :)

I think it all boils down to me having issues with the yellow. It's too bright for my tastes. Then that pretty much dictates the belt to be gray, as not to blend in with my darker shell color choices. I've been on the ropes with those choices for a bit, but I think I like what I have at this point.

I can always do another color swapped version, not the first time we've done that XD. Plus the source/tools/projects will be openly available to do whatever anyone likes, tbh.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:52 pm
Yeah, the yellow might be too bright. I understand why you colored the belt grey now.
No need to make to make an alternative rom with my version, haha. It is your game. I'm just making suggestions.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:30 pm
Small update. I wanted to get the map scrolling implemented. So I thought a smaller project would be good for testing that. Not that TMNT would be using bi directional scrolling on the x axis anyways, but I decided to create a new project that would be a SMS version of Castlevania. I tested putting Alucard in as well, because, why not? It screen corrupted at some point lol.

Some test vids in Emulicious:
https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_castlevania/videos/castlevania_0002.mp4
https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_castlevania/videos/castlevania_0003.mp4

It's a 1 for 1 vs the NES version, layout wise (Although one row will have to be sacrificed), and style wise, more like Castlevania Chronicles. Once I was satisfied with the results, I applied the same logic to TMNT.

Test vid in Emulicious:
https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_tmnt/videos/tmnt_0009.mp4

I have to keep reminding myself that there are only 3 digits max in the top score section. I keep adding 4 digits worth in the game hud, and having a "doh" moment. I also need to bring down the doorbell and elevator buttons, I think. I seem to have more tiles to play with, so I will bring in more details. The fire box could use more original arcade detail, as well as the pipes and general distress cracks. I think I also want to implement the arcade's fire debris falling onto the floor. Just to add in some more details.

Thanks for viewing, feedback, and comments.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:03 pm
Last edited by segarule on Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
but I decided to create a new project that would be a SMS version of Castlevania

What! You want turn the member here crazy? Dont break my tired heart. LOL.
While the background is very good i think about the belmont´s sprite colors dont is much varied. Why not to use the arcade colors? Or SNES? Better not. Im already dreaming...zzzz :D
UPDATE: I was wrong. Not is the arcade colors that i referred but X68000 colors.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:10 pm
segarule wrote
but I decided to create a new project that would be a SMS version of Castlevania

What! You want turn the member here crazy? Dont break my tired heart. LOL.
While the background is very good i think about the belmont´s sprite colors dont is much varied. Why not used the arcade colors? Or Snes? Better not. Im already dreaming...zzzz :D

I agree with all this. XD It's very early, I haven't updated anything on Simon yet. Not sure what color scheme to go with yet. More detail will be added to his sprite in the future, he looks pretty plain right now.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:55 pm
Ooh yes those Castlevania videos look incredible, nice! Definitely one of my favourite series. Did you draw the backgrounds completely from imagination or are they based on one of the many versions of CV like the aforementioned Chronicles?

The TMNT project is looking fantastic too, great job on the scrolling. What you've done so far completely nukes the NES version.

edit: I checked out Chronicles, I think you improved it!!
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!