Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS TMNT Homebrew

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:36 pm
Mondo wrote
Ooh yes those Castlevania videos look incredible, nice! Definitely one of my favourite series. Did you draw the backgrounds completely from imagination or are they based on one of the many versions of CV like the aforementioned Chronicles?

Most of the graphics will be some sort of Chronicles type of graphics, unless it doesn't work well with the SMS palette, then some custom stuff. I may take some stuff from SOTN here and there as well, if it fits. My goal is a stage 1 demo. Then see where it goes from there. Everything will be released as open source, as usual.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:20 pm
Sounds brilliant to me.

If you did go with using or building upon a NES sprite for the more manageable size, a nerdy detail you might bear in mind is that the Castlevania 3 sprite is Trevor, not Castlevania 1's Simon :D

I did a reworking of a frame of CV1 Simon a long time ago, still for NES but redrawn a bit, and using that as a base I just had some fun making it look more like Chronicles Simon with the SMS palette. Here it is next to the original NES sprite in the attachment.

Merry Christmas too!!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:39 pm
Mondo wrote
Sounds brilliant to me.

If you did go with using or building upon a NES sprite for the more manageable size, a nerdy detail you might bear in mind is that the Castlevania 3 sprite is Trevor, not Castlevania 1's Simon :D

I am aware of this :) I used a placeholder sprite from the net. It has 12 frames of animation, I wanted to see how that looked in game. I would like to emulate it.

Mondo wrote
I did a reworking of a frame of CV1 Simon a long time ago, still for NES but redrawn a bit, and using that as a base I just had some fun making it look more like Chronicles Simon with the SMS palette. Here it is next to the original NES sprite in the attachment.

Looks great! Shading is on point.

Mondo wrote
Merry Christmas too!!

You too!
Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:43 pm
xfixium wrote

I am aware of this :) I used a placeholder sprite from the net. It has 12 frames of animation, I wanted to see how that looked in game. I would like to emulate it.

A 12 frame walk cycle is a ton isn't it! Very smooth.

xfixium wrote

Looks great! Shading is on point.

Thanks!
Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:45 pm
Mondo wrote

A 12 frame walk cycle is a ton isn't it!

Lol, yeah, it's overkill, but it is buttery. Not mine, I'll have to look around and see who put it together.

I like your sprite work, do you mind if I base the final design off your work? Or it might be pretty similar, at the very least.

Also continued work on the first stage, I have to do some adjustments, but it's getting there. I have more complete than what is shown. I figure I'm so close to having all the graphics done for Stage 1, that I might as well finish them up.

http://pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_castlevania/videos/castlevania_0004.mp4
Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:52 pm
xfixium wrote

I like your sprite work, do you mind if I base the final design off your work? Or it might be pretty similar, at the very least.

I don't mind at all! Happy to be of help.

xfixium wrote

Also continued work on the first stage, I have to do some adjustments, but it's getting there. I have more complete than what is shown. I figure I'm so close to having all the graphics done for Stage 1, that I might as well finish them up.

http://pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_castlevania/videos/castlevania_0004.mp4

Nice, they look really great! Maybe I'd use no black in the grey wallpaper patterns themselves, to reduce the contrast there?
Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:00 pm
Mondo wrote

Nice, they look really great! Maybe I'd use no black in the grey wallpaper patterns themselves, to reduce the contrast there?

Very true, adjustments are needed. I'll play around with it when it's all together, with the sprites and what not.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:26 pm
Good idea, when it's all in-game together that's when you really see what works and what needs changing, it's the ultimate test. I often have to unexpectedly revise art once I see it in action!
Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:37 pm
So is your version of Castlevania going to be based on the MSX2 version, which is overlooker and rarely ported, or the more common NES version?
Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:26 pm
As seems you love Konami games, is this right? Have you thought about make contra to Master System? I love the Nes Japan version but Pal is fine as well

About Castlevania and TMNT , I love these projects but don't you think that is better to focus on one?
Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:30 pm
Bluestreak wrote
So is your version of Castlevania going to be based on the MSX2 version, which is overlooker and rarely ported, or the more common NES version?

The NES version, if I wasn't clear about it previously. Trying to stay as close to the level design and mechanics of that version, with the graphics closer to Castlevania Chronicles (X68000 or PS1 classic version).
Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:01 pm
law81 wrote
As seems you love Konami games, is this right? Have you thought about make contra to Master System? I love the Nes Japan version but Pal is fine as well

About Castlevania and TMNT , I love these projects but don't you think that is better to focus on one?

I do love Konami games, but I have no plans on tackling Contra. It is an excellent game though.

I know it seems like I'm all over the place. I created a Castlevania demo as a clean project to later port the scrolling code to TMNT. It was just easier for me to have a smaller code base. It was a learning experience. Plus, it's not totally throw away code now. I have moved the scrolling code to TMNT, and I also tested Stage 01-01 and the beginning part of Stage 02 with it.

Plus I like to fiddle with stuff. :P
sms_tmnt_0022.png (18.16 KB)
In game cap
sms_tmnt_0022.png
sms_tmnt_0023.png (16.22 KB)
In game cap
sms_tmnt_0023.png

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:07 am
amazing!!!
Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:52 pm
Looks brilliant, as expected. However, I’m not too keen on the grey shades in the second screenshot. Color ramps of pure grey always tend to look a bit alien, especially on the SMS, because it had so few greys. Maybe try using blueish or yellowish shades in the highlights and/or the shadows to make the grey parts look more natural?
Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:02 pm
Kagesan wrote
Looks brilliant, as expected. However, I’m not too keen on the grey shades in the second screenshot. Color ramps of pure grey always tend to look a bit alien, especially on the SMS, because it had so few greys. Maybe try using blueish or yellowish shades in the highlights and/or the shadows to make the grey parts look more natural?

I see your point, and I do have similar feelings since finally testing that stage. I'll see what I can do with it, per your suggestions. The source material is very light, the SMS colors seemed to match decently well to what the arcade version had. Admittedly, the turtles look almost out of place in that stage. Like they stick out TOO much. Most likely the black outlines don't help much.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:01 pm
xfixium wrote
law81 wrote

I do love Konami games, but I have no plans on tackling Contra. It is an excellent game though.

I know it seems like I'm all over the place. I created a Castlevania demo as a clean project to later port the scrolling code to TMNT. It was just easier for me to have a smaller code base. It was a learning experience. Plus, it's not totally throw away code now. I have moved the scrolling code to TMNT, and I also tested Stage 01-01 and the beginning part of Stage 02 with it.

Plus I like to fiddle with stuff. :P

Is that sign in the window of the second screen supposed to say Electronics?
Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:22 pm
NewHorizon wrote

That's how it's written in the Arcade version. I thought the same thing, had to recheck it again about a week or two ago. Since I haven't viewed the map in awhile XD.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:57 am
xfixium wrote
NewHorizon wrote

That's how it's written in the Arcade version. I thought the same thing, had to recheck it again about a week or two ago. Since I haven't viewed the map in awhile XD.

Interesting. I suspect they meant Electronics. I can't find any evidence of Electoric being a word. lol
Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:01 am
Electronic or Electric.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:50 pm
It's the English Tear thing all over again :D[/b]
Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:38 pm
xfixium wrote

I see your point, and I do have similar feelings since finally testing that stage. I'll see what I can do with it, per your suggestions. The source material is very light, the SMS colors seemed to match decently well to what the arcade version had. Admittedly, the turtles look almost out of place in that stage. Like they stick out TOO much. Most likely the black outlines don't help much.

I don't think the arcade is supposed to look this light. It seems to need some gamma correction.

Sf2 (cps) also looks too light. Some emulators (final burn iirc) have a gamma correction option for it. Also sega games like golden axe suffer the same. Some ppl imported the arcade background to the genesis game, but it look totally out of place as the sprites have not been updated and have much higher contrast.

Keep up the great work, you art looks amazing even when it's too light ;)
Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:44 pm
I think you could also try just adding black into the darkest areas of that Level 2 street scene to balance it out. The open doorway, the darkest part of the gap next to the electronics store etc. You don't want to go too crazy and create really strong contrast everywhere, but it will stop it looking washed out. This could be a case where not only will you improve upon the NES version, but improve upon the arcade version too :D
Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:23 pm
The sprite work here is just incredible! I did a doubletake when I saw those pics. Made my night to see this awesome project getting updates :)
Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:04 am
Looks nice so far.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:15 pm
Made this while messing around in Gimp. Realistically I'd consider it a first draft.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:06 am
Looking at the screens, I wonder how feasible it would be to have different colors for the turtles, like in the comics. It would probably mean having maybe 2 more colors reserved for each turtle, while others would be common. And of course, reserved colors for the enemy sprites.

Here is a reminder on how the different turtles look in the comics :

(taken from a mod to the recent Shredder's Revenge, great game by the way)

One thing I see as well are the two purple gradients in the score bar : aren't they wasted in a way ? My guess is that they come from the sprite palette. Maybe you want to fix the sprite palette totally for the sake of simplicity, which I understand.

One other thing I am unsure concerning TMNT2 but I know for sure for TMNT3, is that has some stages scroll diagonally in places. From my understanding on how the MS works, having a status bar on top while scrolling vertically is challenging. I am not sure that I have seen games succeeding at this cleanly. Fantastic Dizzy comes to mind, but you can see some garbage pixels at the junction between the hud and the play-field. Scrolling tile by tile is a solution, now that I think about it. I think that the NES probably did this.

Great project !
Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:39 am
Jareth247 wrote
Made this while messing around in Gimp. Realistically I'd consider it a first draft.

Quite awesome, and totally radical

cireza wrote
Looking at the screens, I wonder how feasible it would be to have different colors for the turtles, like in the comics. It would probably mean having maybe 2 more colors reserved for each turtle, while others would be common. And of course, reserved colors for the enemy sprites.

I had looked into this at some point. As I thought that would be pretty awesome. I was trying to make it variable based on player selection. I found it necessary to just have a fixed palette. As there needed to be certain colors available at all times. Eg. enemy explosions, projectiles, other misc. entities. The last color is variable however, and used for whatever enemy wave comes in, or end boss. Like for instance, purple foot have a dark purple that would be used for that variable color. Purple and red foot could be put together. While White and orange foot can be mixed in at any time. Yellow can be introduced for certain types of foot. I have attached an example image for reference.

cireza wrote
One other thing I am unsure concerning TMNT2 but I know for sure for TMNT3, is that has some stages scroll diagonally in places. From my understanding on how the MS works, having a status bar on top while scrolling vertically is challenging. I am not sure that I have seen games succeeding at this cleanly. Fantastic Dizzy comes to mind, but you can see some garbage pixels at the junction between the hud and the play-field. Scrolling tile by tile is a solution, now that I think about it. I think that the NES probably did this.

Yes, this was a concern of mine right off the bat. I believe I mention it in this topic. I also mentioned that I tested scrolling horizontally, and then just scrolling vertically by tile. This ended up not looking like complete crap, so this is the way I plan on doing it. But, because it was a test, I'm not sure how the performance will be when the game is running all the logic it needs to. That's still a question to be answered down the road.
sms_tmnt_0024.png (15.06 KB)
Proposed palette structure and misc objects. Some will be resized on final render.
sms_tmnt_0024.png

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:26 am
Hi xfixium, good to hear from you again. Always nice to see new art.

Your color palette looks really great considering the restrictions, and i would not tinker it with too much just to get different color turtles. Or worry about it right now.

I played around with different colors for the Turtles using your palette.
I guess purple was an dynamic color, which is why you don't have the purple turtle.
The dark green turtle is missing a shade, so that is not ideal either.

This probably proofs that it is not feasible to have turtles with different colors, haha. But perhaps it could be an option, like it is in Turtles in Time of the snes.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:10 pm
slogra wrote
Hi xfixium, good to hear from you again. Always nice to see new art.

Your color palette looks really great considering the restrictions, and i would not tinker it with too much just to get different color turtles. Or worry about it right now.

I played around with different colors for the Turtles using your palette.
I guess purple was an dynamic color, which is why you don't have the purple turtle.
The dark green turtle is missing a shade, so that is not ideal either.

This probably proofs that it is not feasible to have turtles with different colors, haha. But perhaps it could be an option, like it is in Turtles in Time of the snes.

Donatello is comprised of the two end purple colors. I just didn't include him because his bo staff is in wip. I use the same purple colors in the hud for top score. Admittedly, these colors together look pretty similar when I run it on my master system. It could also be my cheapo hdmi converter I have hooked up to my lcd though. In emulation, there seems to be more separation.

If I'm being honest, I actually like the colors for Michaelangelo that you have, even if one shade of green is repeated.
Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:00 pm
I think that you don't have the choice but to drop one gradient of green/skin if trying to achieve the four colored turtles, in order to limit the waste.

That would still be 4 colors reserved per turtle, so quite a lot. Another axis to train to gain something would be to manage to have permanently 1 color used for the skin of the turtle, maybe a dark green. It would be used as the darker gradient for Leonardo and Raphael, and the lighter gradient for Michelangelo. Donatello would use the permanent brown for skin as lighter gradient. And then, you pick a specific green/brown to complement.

Example below (3 colors by turtle), not perfect of course. You get 1 green and 2 oranges as permanent colors in your palette. So in the end, you only get 3 spots for ennemies. But these are free spots, so it can give you some liberty, rather than having only 1 spot available. You might not be able to mix enemies though (but not sure the original game does).

Edit : added a second proposal to try to give some sense to the 2 unused shades of Michelangelo. Also edited Donatello (which affects all turtles, thus the move to a more yellowish shade). Quite happy with this second result to be honest.
turtles_test.PNG (117.69 KB)
turtles_3_colors
turtles_test.PNG
turtles_test_2.PNG (118 KB)
turtles_3_colors_v2
turtles_test_2.PNG

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:40 pm
xfixium wrote

It could also be my cheapo hdmi converter I have hooked up to my lcd though.

Well, my lcd tv destroys some colors as well. Those tv's are just not accurate, but usually way over saturated.

xfixium wrote

If I'm being honest, I actually like the colors for Michaelangelo that you have, even if one shade of green is repeated.

Alright, in that case you can make 2 turtles dark and 2 turtles light green.
At least you are half way there relatively easily without changing the palette.
Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 10:31 pm
I stumbled upon this recording of an actual arcade machine. The contrast is a bit higher than Mame. I believe these are more accurate colors.

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:43 am
cireza wrote
I think that you don't have the choice but to drop one gradient of green/skin if trying to achieve the four colored turtles, in order to limit the waste.

That would still be 4 colors reserved per turtle, so quite a lot. Another axis to train to gain something would be to manage to have permanently 1 color used for the skin of the turtle, maybe a dark green. It would be used as the darker gradient for Leonardo and Raphael, and the lighter gradient for Michelangelo. Donatello would use the permanent brown for skin as lighter gradient. And then, you pick a specific green/brown to complement.

Example below (3 colors by turtle), not perfect of course. You get 1 green and 2 oranges as permanent colors in your palette. So in the end, you only get 3 spots for ennemies. But these are free spots, so it can give you some liberty, rather than having only 1 spot available. You might not be able to mix enemies though (but not sure the original game does).

Edit : added a second proposal to try to give some sense to the 2 unused shades of Michelangelo. Also edited Donatello (which affects all turtles, thus the move to a more yellowish shade). Quite happy with this second result to be honest.

I like the second result as well. Though I believe that these options wouldn't work in the long run. The colors for player 2 may, or may not be used at any given time. So in effect, you always have to have those color entries slotted, even if you're not potentially using them. Player 2 can enter the game at any given time. Player 1 colors are also variable, and not guaranteed.

There has to be guaranteed colors for enemy diversity and other effects. Like colors that will be available at all times when an enemy is defeated, and explodes. Or for variation, mixing in foot and mousers or Roadkill Rodneys. There you would need blues and whatever color the foot might be, like purples. Also projectiles like dynamite, knives, stars, bombs, shock effects, fire hydrant cap and water, manhole covers, bullets, signs, lasers, etc.. etc.. Since the player colors are variable, you can't rely on those colors being available at all times. The meager amount of static colors available wouldn't be enough. This is why, in the long run, it made sense to have a static palette for the most part.

slogra wrote

Alright, in that case you can make 2 turtles dark and 2 turtles light green.
At least you are half way there relatively easily without changing the palette.

That may be the way forward. Although, not entirely sold on it. The original arcade didn't have the color differences. Not that it has to be exactly like the arcade though.

slogra wrote
I stumbled upon this recording of an actual arcade machine. The contrast is a bit higher than Mame. I believe these are more accurate colors.

Thanks for the reference, I'll look into it.
Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:51 am
xfixium wrote

That may be the way forward. Although, not entirely sold on it. The original arcade didn't have the color differences. Not that it has to be exactly like the arcade though.

You are right. Different colored turtles should be an option then (if implemented at all).

I wonder how to make it an option though. I guess you'll have to change to colors of the actual tiles on the fly, like the snake in Wonder boy.

Or just include different colored turtles, next to the normal green ones in the rom.
Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:01 am
slogra wrote
xfixium wrote

You are right. Different colored turtles should be an option then (if implemented at all).

I wonder how to make it an option though. I guess you'll have to change to colors of the actual tiles on the fly, like the snake in Wonder boy.

Or just include different colored turtles, next to the normal green ones in the rom.

It'd be most likely the 2nd option XD
Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 4:34 pm
xfixium wrote
There has to be guaranteed colors for enemy diversity and other effects. Like colors that will be available at all times when an enemy is defeated, and explodes. Or for variation, mixing in foot and mousers or Roadkill Rodneys. There you would need blues and whatever color the foot might be, like purples. Also projectiles like dynamite, knives, stars, bombs, shock effects, fire hydrant cap and water, manhole covers, bullets, signs, lasers, etc.. etc.. Since the player colors are variable, you can't rely on those colors being available at all times. The meager amount of static colors available wouldn't be enough. This is why, in the long run, it made sense to have a static palette for the most part.

Indeed, it makes it challenging to manage two enemy types + explosions. Maybe we need to find a way to save one more color haha.

After all with my solution, if you set in stone the 8 colors for the headbands, 1 slot remains. We only need to find another one, and the only variable slots would be the skin of player 1 and player 2, while everything else would be set.

Edit : see new proposal. I gained 1 color where it was the easiest (gradients of red and orange being very close for Raphael and Michelangelo)

Edit 2 : Same principle can be applied to gain one more color between the blue and purple headbands. In which case you now have 1 free slot for whatever color you wish. See turtles_v4 proposal.
turtles_v3.PNG (118.64 KB)
turtles_v3
turtles_v3.PNG
turtles_v4.PNG (118.19 KB)
turtles_v4
turtles_v4.PNG

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:20 pm
Wow this looks stunning!
Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:37 pm
Reorganized the code this week. I wasn't able to do much the last several months. Took what I tested in Castlevania and applied it to the TMNT code base. It's at a point where I like it. Finishing up the intro screens. Creating new resources. Starting the AI code for the basic foot, and adding states to the players. Louis made a dope track for the first level. Check it out, if you haven't, not sure he posted it here or not. Should have a new WIP vid in the coming week.

I delved into what Slogra had suggested about the turtle colors. I played with the outlining for the dark variant. I like the results. What I'm doing as of now, is have two colors, this looks like what the N*S TMNT II game did. Leo and Don had the same turtle colors. Raph and Mike have the same colors respectively. Let me know what you think. I'll post a mock up in the time being.
sms_tmnt_0026.png (19.23 KB)
WIP stuff
sms_tmnt_0026.png

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:12 am
xfixium wrote
Reorganized the code this week. I wasn't able to do much the last several months. Took what I tested in Castlevania and applied it to the TMNT code base. It's at a point where I like it. Finishing up the intro screens. Creating new resources. Starting the AI code for the basic foot, and adding states to the players. Louis made a dope track for the first level. Check it out, if you haven't, not sure he posted it here or not. Should have a new WIP vid in the coming week.

I delved into what Slogra had suggested about the turtle colors. I played with the outlining for the dark variant. I like the results. What I'm doing as of now, is have two colors, this looks like what the N*S TMNT II game did. Leo and Don had the same turtle colors. Raph and Mike have the same colors respectively. Let me know what you think. I'll post a mock up in the time being.

One more time looking and appreciating your work. The music is excellent, although i think that square 3 could be more rhythm accelerated but this is only my superficial impression. About colors i think that Mike and Ralph are close at point that you can confuse both. The red and orange closer? Maybe be the case in change the scheme Leo and Mke with same turtle colors and Ralph and Don with more dark colors?
Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:53 pm
segarule wrote

One more time looking and appreciating your work. The music is excellent, although i think that square 3 could be more rhythm accelerated but this is only my superficial impression. About colors i think that Mike and Ralph are close at point that you can confuse both. The red and orange closer? Maybe be the case in change the scheme Leo and Mke with same turtle colors and Ralph and Don with more dark colors?

That's sound reasoning, I'll give Raph the lighter color though, I'm thinking.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:53 pm
xfixium wrote
this looks like what the N*S TMNT II game did

NES game does use 4 different combinations.

You have the main green that has two values (one green, one bluish), and the outline that has two values (one darker than the other). This makes 4 combinations, one per turtle.

Not sure that applying this logic is easy/feasible though.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:25 pm
cireza wrote

NES game does use 4 different combinations.

You have the main green that has two values (one green, one bluish), and the outline that has two values (one darker than the other). This makes 4 combinations, one per turtle.

Not sure that applying this logic is easy/feasible though.

Hmm, I did previously check these values. As I thought that may be the case. However, the outlines are the same four all 4 turtles. At least with the captures I got from running it through Mensen.

You are correct though, this logic would be tough to implement. I do appreciate the attempts at trying to do 4 different colors.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:26 pm
[quote="xfixium"]
cireza wrote

Hmm, I did previously check these values. As I thought that may be the case. However, the outlines are the same four all 4 turtles. At least with the captures I got from running it through Mensen.

You are right indeed. Sorry for the wrong information here, I thought they were all different.

Having two set of colors will indeed match the NES version.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:50 am
[quote="cireza"]
xfixium wrote
cireza wrote

You are right indeed. Sorry for the wrong information here, I thought they were all different.

Having two set of colors will indeed match the NES version.

Not a biggie, it's been awhile since I did that investigation, I wasn't sure myself.

Update wise, this is the current game I'm working on, at least for the minute XD. I've been testing states, and just overall performance of the game. Trying to optimize some pieces. SDCC can be tough to judge on the asm output in some scenarios. I have about 120 lines left of active display after processing some of the more major pieces. Not gonna lie, it's going to be tight. Some more progress:

https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_tmnt/videos/tmnt_0010.mp4
sms_tmnt_0028.png (65.45 KB)
sms_tmnt_0028.png
sms_tmnt_0025.png (24.38 KB)
sms_tmnt_0025.png

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:06 am

1 word - Amazing!
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:52 pm
Looks like you have everything under control.

The pixel art is just top notch.
Amazing to see all those different colored foot soldiers, by swapping just one color in the palette.
I didn't really notice you used blue for the dark purple foot soldier at first. It looks nice, well done.

If i have to nitpick i would change the dark brown of the yellow foot soldier into red (just like the sky of ryu's stage).
Not sure about the nunchuck chains (in the movie you posted). They stand out a lot compared to the sticks themselves. That was just my first impression, not sure how to fix it though.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:41 am
slogra wrote

If i have to nitpick i would change the dark brown of the yellow foot soldier into red (just like the sky of ryu's stage).
Not sure about the nunchuck chains (in the movie you posted). They stand out a lot compared to the sticks themselves. That was just my first impression, not sure how to fix it though.

Thanks for the feedback!

Are you referring to the darkest red color? The yellow color is the variable color, I can't add another color in, and rgb 85, 0, 0 is not in the static palette. I can however, add more outlining, as I plan to do that at some point anyways. I honestly have been on the ropes about the blue for the dark purple foot. I may just outline a bit on that too.

I can perhaps change the chain color to light gray in some areas, and make some other adjustments and see how that looks?

I attached the adjustments, let me know what you think.
tmnt_0001.png (5.81 KB)
adjustments wip
tmnt_0001.png

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:03 pm
I'm sorry, i meant the orange footsoldier instead of the yellow one. I would use aa0000 instead of aa5500 on that one. It's a matter of taste though.

I still kinda like the previous dark purple one with blue. He looks really badass in those colors :p. It's a nice original color combo for a change.

I think the chain of the nunchucks should be shorter.
Check out this one for example, the chain is very short if you even see it at all:
https://www.spriters-resource.com/game_boy_advance/teenagemutantninjaturtleskona...
Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:57 am
xfixium wrote
slogra wrote

Thanks for the feedback!

Are you referring to the darkest red color? The yellow color is the variable color, I can't add another color in, and rgb 85, 0, 0 is not in the static palette. I can however, add more outlining, as I plan to do that at some point anyways. I honestly have been on the ropes about the blue for the dark purple foot. I may just outline a bit on that too.

I can perhaps change the chain color to light gray in some areas, and make some other adjustments and see how that looks?

I attached the adjustments, let me know what you think.

Perfect pixel art, the project is getting better and promising every day. Exploring the resources of the MASTER SYSTEM very well. One of the most beautiful 8-bit games I've ever seen. Carry on my friend, it's beautiful.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:46 am

This. Is. BEAUTIFUL!
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!