Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - White Game Gear Cap fix value degraded

Reply to topic
White Game Gear Cap fix value degraded
Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:32 pm
Hello, I have a white Game Gear I am considering selling in near perfect condition. I was curious to get any input you all would have about replacing the Capacitors and if you think it might degrade or possibly help the value in any way? The unit has never been opened and I am 99% possitive it is the capacitors as the screens colors are losing integrity, I just used it last winter and it worked flawlessly. Anyways, just wanted to see what you all thought and possibly get a generic value. It has the TV tuner, wall adapter, and case all in excellent condition. The unit itself has just a very, very light yellow hue and I do mean really light. Anyways, Thank you all for your thoughts, time and input.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:44 pm
There's a lot of sloppy capacitor replacement jobs these days. Unfortunately, most buyers don't care who did the work or what the quality is like.

I have videos on my YouTube channel of the true amount of labor involved in a quality capacitor change. It's not fun and if you're going to clean out the leaking electrolyte it can be a bit of a marathon with lots of toxic fumes.

It's really your call. A broken system is usually capacitor failure, but it's hard to know the extent. Whereas a "repaired" capped system still has a high chance of failing in the future if the job isn't done correctly.

I rarely ever do capacitor fixes for customers these days, because no one cares enough about the quality. If you want to make a quick buck, you could put in the world's crappiest capacitors and flip it on eBay and no one will know the difference. I hope you dont though, and that our community learns to identify quality workmanship.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!