SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Magic Screen for Game Gear

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Magic Screen for Game Gear
Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:07 pm
https://retrokai.store/en/accueil/33-magic-screen-lcd-replacement-for-game-gear....

This seems to be a new alternative to the McWill mod, offering lower power use and simpler installation but no VGA out. It is the same 320x240 resolution as the McWill screen and Chinese clones, and seems to have similar scaling options, so there will be shimmer (due to non-integer scaling) or stretching (due to not having the same pixel aspect ratio as the original). I haven’t found any reviews of it yet.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:45 pm
very cool!! im excited about the much lower power consumption.

Looks like they also copied wasups idea for a PCB around the cart contacts.

any videos of this in action? Id love to see the different modes.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:57 pm
Has anyone found a 720p screen that fits the Game Gear case? I think scaling to 960x720 is a pure integer expansion (6x horizontal, 5x vertical) that would match the original hardware screen and pixel aspect ratios without any scaling artifacts

For that matter a 1024x768 panel should work fine with only small black borders, and also allows very usable pure-integer scaling for NTSC SMS modes

(I do realize that both finding and reliably sourcing an appropriate panel may be extremely difficult, and the size constraints inside the Game Gear case due to screw positions mean a lot of otherwise-attractive screens won't fit)

edit: it looks like displays of approximately the right size and shape with high enough resolution to effectively hide scaling artifacts may exist to serve the VR goggle market, but sourcing them could be difficult and expensive, as could building the scaler and other driver circuitry (and keeping those within the Game Gear space and power budget)
https://www.smart-prototyping.com/Display-for-Project-North-Star-3_5inch-1440x16...

Note that these displays seem to be 10:9 ratio, rather than 4:3, so some letterboxing would be needed. Also some shell surgery would be required
Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:05 pm
I recently bought a Game Gear someone else apparently modded with (I think?) this kit. It's nice, a lot like the McWill mod. One neat feature: adjustable brightness using the former Contrast ("BRIGHT") knob! Color overall is maybe slightly "warmer" (less blue) than on a McWill mod. Scaling modes and artifacts seem identical.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!