Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - I need some information about Wonder Boy 2

Reply to topic
I need some information about Wonder Boy 2
Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:46 pm
I am currently working on a port of the game to another platform with the advent of a recently released dev kit, but I need some information that I can't seem to find anywhere.

.:

I'll make separate questions for easy answering.

What is the first NPC supposed to be? A monkey?

How is the amount of damage an enemy inflicts or takes calculated based on the armor? What about more expensive shields, what is it that they block?

How is money drop calculated? How much is a coin and a sack worth at each area, what amount should they drop? Same about enemies and bosses, what's the right amount of cash for each place?

How is the drop chance of either money or something else calculated for each monster? What is each one supposed to drop and at what chance?

What makes the arcade and SMS versions play so differently? Is it just the speed of the character and monsters that is higher?

.:

Now, for some more experimental questions that I don't know if anyone can clearly answer, but I need to ponder about anyway.

What's the importance of the random drop chance of helmet, shirt, glove and wing boots? On the master system version they clearly don't matter, the game is easy even without them, but on the arcade it just makes no sense that they drop so randomly since they are TOO GOOD, it almost takes away the incentive to buy them and try to save them because they might just drop from a crab! I'm thinking of taking away their random drop chance and making them more easily available in stores, for I recon it will make a more consistent experience that would need more strategy and memorization. Good idea?

I wanna kill the score function. Surviving to the end of the game is already all the challenge a player needs. Other than giving extra hearts, which could be done automatically at the beginning of stages where one would normally get them anyway, the score is a useless relic of the times when either your game had it or it looked inferior to the other games in the arcade. Am I correct? Can I take away the score without killing something important in the game or not? Maybe I can make coins and sacks worth less and all the enemies that previously dropped score only items would also drop money? Please tell me what you think.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:53 pm
I think the formulas for money drops can change according the both enemy types and stage, and have an element of random thrown in too. I'd have at least a few playthroughs of both versions noting exactly what and how consistent the drops are to help in narrow it down a little.

The arcade game doesn't play differently to the SMS port just because of its greater speed and higher (brutal) difficulty - there are more enemy types, more animation frames, larger and more play areas (with multidirectional scrolling). The AI routines for arcade bosses are more varied. The SMS port is significantly simplified across the board.

Personally, I'd keep the random item drops for the limited time / use items like wing boots even if it contributes to them being somewhat redundant / undesirable items to purchase. Making them more available in shops will come at the expense of more important items and magic being accessible, which doesn't sound necessarily sound like the best trade off, on the face of it.

I'd also keep the *much* rarer inventory item drops like upgraded shields / boots / armours in place to encourage more combat in general.

At the risk of sounding like a super-fan opposed to any real changes I'd also keep the scoring. It rewards the more skilled / knowledgeable player by extending their life bar sooner, encourages more combat / rarer item drops and is a defining characteristic of the game. Without the score you might as well experiment with removing the hour glass timer and that too is explicitly a coin-op era trope.

Implementing radical changes will require radical rebalancing and rethinking about how the hidden systems interact as I think things in both the arcade game and easier SMS version are pretty finely balanced in their own ways.

It might be worth noting that the prototype of the SMS game features bosses with HP values much closer to those of the arcade game (they seem to have been halved for retail builds).
Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:40 pm
bumtree wrote
I think the formulas for money drops can change according the both enemy types and stage, and have an element of random thrown in too. I'd have at least a few playthroughs of both versions noting exactly what and how consistent the drops are to help in narrow it down a little.

The arcade game doesn't play differently to the SMS port just because of its greater speed and higher (brutal) difficulty - there are more enemy types, more animation frames, larger and more play areas (with multidirectional scrolling). The AI routines for arcade bosses are more varied. The SMS port is significantly simplified across the board.

Personally, I'd keep the random item drops for the limited time / use items like wing boots even if it contributes to them being somewhat redundant / undesirable items to purchase. Making them more available in shops will come at the expense of more important items and magic being accessible, which doesn't sound necessarily sound like the best trade off, on the face of it.

I'd also keep the *much* rarer inventory item drops like upgraded shields / boots / armours in place to encourage more combat in general.

At the risk of sounding like a super-fan opposed to any real changes I'd also keep the scoring. It rewards the more skilled / knowledgeable player by extending their life bar sooner, encourages more combat / rarer item drops and is a defining characteristic of the game. Without the score you might as well experiment with removing the hour glass timer and that too is explicitly a coin-op era trope.

Implementing radical changes will require radical rebalancing and rethinking about how the hidden systems interact as I think things in both the arcade game and easier SMS version are pretty finely balanced in their own ways.

It might be worth noting that the prototype of the SMS game features bosses with HP values much closer to those of the arcade game (they seem to have been halved for retail builds).

You're right. No point in changing things in a port of such a great game. I don't know why I had such ideas. Also, I'll try to implement some of the better AI of the arcade version (which is honestly just more aggressive jumping and faster speed) but am limited to the enemies of the master system. I will also have to simplify a LOT of the tiles, but I don't think it will matter much for the specific platform I'm cooking it on ;)
Overall, should end up looking kinda like a hybrid of both.
And hey, I guess I'll do my best and not worry too much about the little details of the game play, I can always say it's much better than the ZX spectrum version :)

Thanks for your kindness!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:24 pm
Enemy HP seems to be halved for export systems, at the higher levels for Japanese systems.

The real truth of these stats will only be revealed by debugging the game. Are you up for that challenge?
Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:21 am
No, I am not. I do not possess the capability. I'm gonna boot up the american version and do multiple playthroughs collecting all ammounts of swords and checking how many hits each boss takes. As for the glove, I'm pretty sure it just adds another "sword".
Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:00 am
If you’re eliminating the scoring, you’re doing your port a disservice. Scoring is about knowing the game systems, and a demonstration of risk/reward for skilled play. Re-killing bosses, taking on the optional bosses, the bonus for skillfully finishing a level at max strength, and milking respawning enemies before the timer gets you...these are meta-level gameplay that make the game great.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:49 pm
SavagePencil wrote
If you’re eliminating the scoring, you’re doing your port a disservice. Scoring is about knowing the game systems, and a demonstration of risk/reward for skilled play. Re-killing bosses, taking on the optional bosses, the bonus for skillfully finishing a level at max strength, and milking respawning enemies before the timer gets you...these are meta-level gameplay that make the game great.

100% agree with this. A scoring system gives a game more replayability. For those who can beat the game, the next challenge is to develop strategies for an optimal high score.

I wouldn't know how the random money/item drops work but I could definitely help with enemy HP and weapon damage.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:20 pm
cheaptools wrote
No, I am not. I do not possess the capability. I'm gonna boot up the american version and do multiple playthroughs collecting all ammounts of swords and checking how many hits each boss takes. As for the glove, I'm pretty sure it just adds another "sword".

Given the changes you’re proposing and the lack of capability to actually plumb the depths of the game systems, why make this a port at all? Why not make this your own thing; a “spiritual successor,” that lets you add your own spin? It might be better than letting down fans of the original that are expecting a faithful reproduction?
Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:55 pm
SavagePencil wrote
cheaptools wrote

Given the changes you’re proposing and the lack of capability to actually plumb the depths of the game systems, why make this a port at all? Why not make this your own thing; a “spiritual successor,” that lets you add your own spin? It might be better than letting down fans of the original that are expecting a faithful reproduction?

I hope people aren't expecting anything :P Mostly doing this for myself and already know it will be very very far from a reproduction, I'll just be trying to get the gameplay right. Just to get this out of the way, I'm using GBDK, so that should give an idea of how unfaithful it will end up as.

Also, I thought maybe the changes I was proposing made sense, but after some pondering, they don't. I'll try too keep all gameplay features intact if I can.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:01 pm
cheaptools wrote
Also, I thought maybe the changes I was proposing made sense, but after some pondering, they don't. I'll try too keep all gameplay features intact if I can.

Sometimes you just need a sounding board for your ideas to get some helpful perspective. Good luck on your project!
Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:45 am
If you check the comments on this video, it appears someone has already worked out a ton of the damage and enemy hp stats by playing the game over and over again...

Expand the comments under the one that has 10 replies. There's a bit of a discussion on it. You'll need to click the youtube icon to watch on youtube to see the comments.
Stats
Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:01 pm
^I wouldn't trust those stats. I just checked the stats of the enemies in the first level. The ones I list here are taken directly from the game's memory.

Snake (red): 1 HP, damages for 1 HP with Leather Armor
Anakonda (yellow): 3 HP, damages for 2 HP with Leather Armor
Death Master: has 2 HP, damages for 4 HP with Leather Armor

Gradius does 1 point of damage.

Each one of Bock's hearts is worth 4 HP (he therefore starts out with 20 HP).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:38 pm
Seems like someone needs to reverse engineer it then. Memory locations in the PAR codes here: https://www.smspower.org/Cheats/WonderBoyInMonsterLand-SMS may help.

Another good source of information can be TAS videos. This for example: http://tasvideos.org/5402S.html
enemy stats round 1-7
Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:19 pm
Last edited by Marsil on Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
I had the same idea. Here are the enemy stats for enemies appearing in rounds 1 to 4. I'll hopefully be able to do the rest in the next few days.

EDIT: Added rounds 5-7
EDIT: Added round 8
WB2.pdf (402.03 KB)

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:52 pm
The arcade version of WBIMW let's you "wiggle" the joystick to inflate coin values. Does that exist in the home version?

(the M2 version for the Sega Ages Switch version even lets you assign a button to this rapid left/right toggling of the stick)
Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:36 am
SavagePencil wrote
The arcade version of WBIMW let's you "wiggle" the joystick to inflate coin values. Does that exist in the home version?

(the M2 version for the Sega Ages Switch version even lets you assign a button to this rapid left/right toggling of the stick)

No, the wiggling for big money feature (something like an increase of 1000% extra cash if done correctly) is exclusive to the arcade.

I was under the impression that M2 fixed the glitch but made it something that could be re-enabled in the options menu. Giving the player the ability to pull it off more easily seems a neat way to reduce difficulty without technically sacrificing authenticity. Very cool.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:23 am
Marsil wrote
I had the same idea. Here are the enemy stats for enemies appearing in rounds 1 to 4. I'll hopefully be able to do the rest in the next few days.

Very interesting, thank you for this Marsil.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:40 pm
Immo wrote
Very interesting, thank you for this Marsil.

You're welcome. I added enemy data from rounds 5-8.
Enemy data all rounds
Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:07 am
I just finished the first playthrough and I think I covered all enemies. I'll start another playthrough soon to:

- re-check the damage values highlighted in yellow (since Hard Armor offers lower protection than Heavy Armor), damage is likely 2.
- test how the helmet stacks with the various armor
- test the attack power of all the swords with and without gauntlet
- test the attack power of all subweapons / magic
- test how much Ruby damages the Dragon

Anything else I'm missing?

Also, I seem to remember encountering some of the earlier bosses in the final dungeon. Didn't see them this time (other than some mini-versions) but I went straight to the Dragon using the Bell. Are there any detours worth taking?
WB2.pdf (416.3 KB)
Enemy data

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:30 am
There is one detour in the final dungeon. There's a set of rooms and halls in the upper left side of this map, about 2/3rds of the width of the map. I believe these rooms can be repeatedly farmed for magic, items and extra points as the left and right sides of the hallways are linked. IIRC a full heart refill is granted every 50,000 points.

https://www.smspower.org/maxim/uploads/Maps/Wonder%20Boy%20In%20Monster%20Land%2...
Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:36 pm
Marsil wrote
I just finished the first playthrough and I think I covered all enemies. I'll start another playthrough soon to:

- re-check the damage values highlighted in yellow (since Hard Armor offers lower protection than Heavy Armor), damage is likely 2.
- test how the helmet stacks with the various armor
- test the attack power of all the swords with and without gauntlet
- test the attack power of all subweapons / magic
- test how much Ruby damages the Dragon

Anything else I'm missing?

Also, I seem to remember encountering some of the earlier bosses in the final dungeon. Didn't see them this time (other than some mini-versions) but I went straight to the Dragon using the Bell. Are there any detours worth taking?

Oh wow, this is really useful! Just need to multiply all of the enemy health points and attack by 2 and I'll have the right difficulty setting :P
And the reason you didn't find the bosses is they're exclusive to the arcade version. Squid that turns into cow, snow monkey and optional to kill fireball demon
Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:27 pm
I give up. I can't fit the enemies in v ram, there's not enough sprites, this effort is no use. It will be as dull as the master system version.
Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:46 pm
cheaptools wrote
How is the amount of damage an enemy inflicts calculated based on the armor? What about more expensive shields, what is it that they block?

Wearing an armor with a shield equipped, depending on the shield you wear, you get a...

Light shield: 0%
Knight shield: 25%
Hard shield: 50%
Legendary shield: 75%

...dmg reduction bonus added after the armor reduction value has been subtracted from the enemy dmg.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!