Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS Golden Axe Tyris Flare Edition ROM Hack

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:24 pm
Okay, an update on this, as it took me longer than anticipated to get these final screens in the game. I went through Maxim's coding tutorials on the site. Also delved into Hang-on's tutorials. So I could get a decent idea what I was looking at in asm (Played around a bunch as well). As I haven't touched the language up till this point. I used Emulicious to disassemble the original ROM. I then used WLA DX to add another bank to stuff the new title screen into. Changed where the original rom pointed to the title screen. I used bmp2tile to compress the tileset and tilemap using the PS compression algorithm. It worked, so very grateful for that, and all the tools available. I only had one issue, Golden Axe expects a compressed title screen tilemap that is interleaved by 4. But Maxim has the compressor source code up on github, (Thank you very much for your hard work, you do amazing things) and I just compiled a gfxcomp_phantasystar.dll that had 4 for the interleave parameter, instead of 2. 2 is more efficient, I would imagine, however, but that's how Golden Axe expected the data format to be.

I still have a bit more work to do to get the Magic Select screen in. I'm hoping to get it all done this coming weekend.
screen_43.png (19.26 KB)
Changed title screen
screen_43.png

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:09 pm
Magnific! You not would like add a "Tyris Flare Edition" text on it?
Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:26 pm
segarule wrote

was going to ask the same thing.

Perfect work!
Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:02 am
Awesome work! The clouds look great, good reuse of tiles.
To me it looks a bit bright as a whole, so i suggest to make the sky and clouds darker. Then the logo will stand out more.

Or even better make it fade from light to dark :).
Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:25 am
segarule wrote

EmuBoarding wrote

was going to ask the same thing.

Perfect work!

I'll make the change

slogra wrote
Awesome work! The clouds look great, good reuse of tiles.
To me it looks a bit bright as a whole, so i suggest to make the sky and clouds darker. Then the logo will stand out more.

Or even better make it fade from light to dark :).

I did change the palette up from the original wip. The kanji is much brighter. Maybe I should change it back? As for the sky fading, that'd take some time, and I want to move on from this. Maybe version 1.??

I made the corrections to the compression output on the editor, and atm editing up the magic select screen.
screen_44.png (17.1 KB)
Need to shift the sword back a little yet, bring back some details I removed
screen_44.png

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:33 pm
Alternate title screen, as per segarule, EmuBoarding, and slogra's suggestions
screen_45.png (23.64 KB)
screen_45.png

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:57 pm
Yes! Those colors look much more bada$$ (in a good way)!

Very nice clouds tiles as well!
Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:26 pm
The select magic screen looks fantastic too. She looks great, and Tyris as well ;).

I would make the lightest blue a shade darker ($34 or #0055ff).
Or make the other blue colors a shade lighter.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:29 pm
Dunno, I think the brighter title screen looks better than the darker one.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:35 pm
xfixium wrote

User´s talent detected.
TMNT II dreams come true.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:40 pm
slogra wrote
The select magic screen looks fantastic too. She looks great, and Tyris as well ;).

I tried the light color swap out, as well as playing around with it a bunch. Honestly, doesn't seem to make that much of a difference with this one.

Tom wrote

Well, I've attached what the new title design would look like with the lighter colors. I like them both. To be fair, the Genesis/Mega Drive version did come in light, and fade to a dark background.

segarule wrote
xfixium wrote

User´s talent detected.

Cowabunga my duder and or nor dudette
screen_46.png (22.07 KB)
Sunshine and lollipops
screen_46.png

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:43 pm
xfixium wrote

It looks really good... but I still prefer the clouds with the old colors.

Wouldn't the "Tyris Flare Edition" at the bottom of the "Golden Axe" be better? Move the GA up a little. Make it closer to the yellow logo, so you get a space between the "Press Start Button"
Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:51 pm
EmuBoarding wrote
xfixium wrote

Wouldn't the "Tyris Flare Edition" at the bottom of the "Golden Axe" be better? Move the GA up a little. Make it closer to the yellow logo, so you get a space between the "Press Start Button"

I originally did it this way, but I wasn't all about it. I moved them around a bunch, but I didn't like the way they were touching. This looked decent to me. I'm not too keen on having the logo so high as well.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:54 pm
xfixium wrote
slogra wrote

I tried the light color swap out, as well as playing around with it a bunch. Honestly, doesn't seem to make that much of a difference with this one.

Tom wrote

Well, I've attached what the new title design would look like with the lighter colors. I like them both. To be fair, the Genesis/Mega Drive version did come in light, and fade to a dark background.

segarule wrote
xfixium wrote

User´s talent detected.

Cowabunga my duder and or nor dudette

Sorry for the quick edit. But it's like this. It's just a suggestion, of course. =)
golden.png (19.67 KB)
Golden
golden.png

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:56 pm
xfixium wrote
EmuBoarding wrote
xfixium wrote

I originally did it this way, but I wasn't all about it. I moved them around a bunch, but I didn't like the way they were touching. This looked decent to me. I'm not too keen on having the logo so high as well.

Understand. Anyway, congratulations on the great work.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:05 pm
EmuBoarding wrote
xfixium wrote
EmuBoarding wrote
xfixium wrote

I seen your edit. Thanks for suggestion. I tried to see if I could get away with something similar, but going out of the tile grid was more trouble than it was worth. I cut off a pixel from the tyris text bottom, also tried shrinking it down from the top. Because really there needs to be some sort of line or space between the main text and the tyris text. Having the tyris text touch the bottom of the logo wasn't really giving me the feel goods either. I moved stuff around quite a bit before what you see now. For now, this is what I got.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:22 pm
xfixium wrote
EmuBoarding wrote
xfixium wrote
EmuBoarding wrote
xfixium wrote

I seen your edit. Thanks for suggestion. I tried to see if I could get away with something similar, but going out of the tile grid was more trouble than it was worth. I cut off a pixel from the tyris text bottom, also tried shrinking it down from the top. Because really there needs to be some sort of line or space between the main text and the tyris text. Having the tyris text touch the bottom of the logo wasn't really giving me the feel goods either. I moved stuff around quite a bit before what you see now. For now, this is what I got.

I understand. Anyway, it was very good. =)
Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:49 pm
I played around with the colors of the title screen.

And just to be sure we are talking about the same blue, i edited the selection screen too.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:58 pm
slogra wrote

And just to be sure we are talking about the same blue, i edited the selection screen too.

Yep, that is the blue I tried. It seems very subtle to me? I mean, i do like it, but not anymore or less then what's already there. I like the stark colors of that title screen as well! For now, I'll use the day time colors for the title screen. I just created the new release candidate patch. I'll upload another one with your color suggestions later on today as well.

Download:
https://pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_golden_axe/golden_axe_tyris.bps
Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:32 pm
I only played a short while (it's getting late here), but so far it is an absolute joy to play.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:23 am
xfixium wrote
slogra wrote

Yep, that is the blue I tried. It seems very subtle to me? I mean, i do like it, but not anymore or less then what's already there. I like the stark colors of that title screen as well! For now, I'll use the day time colors for the title screen. I just created the new release candidate patch. I'll upload another one with your color suggestions later on today as well.

Download:
https://pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_golden_axe/golden_axe_tyris.bps

I just finished the game. Is Xfixium only missing the images and texts at the end or is something else missing? Did you think about modifying the spells graphics too?

Do you want to make a version with Gilius Thunderhead? It would be possible?
Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:42 am
EmuBoarding wrote

I just finished the game. Is Xfixium only missing the images and texts at the end or is something else missing? Did you think about modifying the spells graphics too?

Do you want to make a version with Gilius Thunderhead? It would be possible?

Are you saying the images and the text at the end of the game are missing, or asking me if I replaced them? If it is of the latter, I did not replace them.

The magic graphics I have no issues with, they're, for the most part, decent. So I never replaced those.

I thought about Gilius, his weapon makes him hard to place into the rom with the given size restraints. Not to mention the palette is challenging. If you're not aware, basically everything that moves in the game (Outside of magic) can only use the first 8 colors from the background palette (one is transparent, so technically only 7). Seems there is some weird bit shifting for moving assets in the rom. I think it has to do with how the tiles are stenciled over the background tiles. Maybe some bitplane trickery, I have no clue.

Download to Slogra's alt colored patch:
https://pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_golden_axe/golden_axe_tyris_alt.bps
Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:49 am
Are you saying the images and the text at the end of the game are missing, or asking me if I replaced them? If it is of the latter, I did not replace them.

But are you going to replace it?

I thought about Gilius, his weapon makes him hard to place into the rom with the given size restraints. Not to mention the palette is challenging. If you're not aware, basically everything that moves in the game (Outside of magic) can only use the first 8 colors from the background palette (one is transparent, so technically only 7). Seems there is some weird bit shifting for moving assets in the rom. I think it has to do with how the tiles are stenciled over the background tiles. Maybe some bitplane trickery, I have no clue.

I figured the weapon and the colors would be the problem.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:38 am
EmuBoarding wrote

But are you going to replace it?

At some point, version 2.0, or something like that. I wouldn't know what to write for the text tbh. Also, I did queue up some some ripped images from Red Sonja for the end, a lil cheeky nod to the game basically ripping images from Conan XD. That, or maybe a bit of sprite work. Not even going to waste my time until I have some ending storyline that doesn't suck. Lol
Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:56 am
Not even going to waste my time until I have some ending storyline that doesn't suck. Lol

Well, you can finish the story with Tyris having mother and father avenged. She return to be amazon´s queen and tracing a offensive againts DA´s hordes left.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:25 am
segarule wrote

Well, you can finish the story with Tyris having mother and father avenged. She return to be amazon´s queen and tracing a offensive againts DA´s hordes left.

I can visualize that, but me putting that to text would probably be pretty bad lol. There are about 5 screens of end game text. 2 that describe how DA stole the axe, then 3 screens with images (If I recall correctly). I'd like to keep the dialog in the same format, for simplicity's sake.

My cliche storyboard:
1 image at her parent's graves
2 image of her as a queen with other amazons cheering her on
3 Her, on a dragon, riding into battle against DA hordes?

All the images and tilemaps are compressed in a linear fashion, no interleaving at all. So that's another challenge, or I could just stuff them in the added banks I have made.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:19 pm
[quote="xfixium"]
EmuBoarding wrote

Download to Slogra's alt colored patch:
https://pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_golden_axe/golden_axe_tyris_alt.bps

Thanks for considering it! I've attached some more variation. Not sure if that makes your choice easier :p.

I just realized i changed the red shadow of the "Press start button" and "Sega 1989" to black by accident. But it does not look bad at all.

Maybe "Tyris Flare Edition" looks better in another color if you have colors to spare in your palette. Or another font, like the italic font in the character intro screen on the Genesis.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:19 pm
slogra wrote

Maybe "Tyris Flare Edition" looks better in another color if you have colors to spare in your palette. Or another font, like the italic font in the character intro screen on the Genesis.

I tried some of this, previously. I was trying out a more angled font at one point. But I wound up just adding a highlight to the existing one instead. As I didn't like the fonts I was trying out, or they were bigger than what I wanted.

I do have some spare colors, I believe. I'm alright with the goldish look though. It goes with the logo. For now, it'll do. As always, I'm open to suggestions, however.

On my most recent build, I did a small change, I put black in the front of the palette, so it clears the screen with black, instead of white.

My plans going forward:
Changing the ending text, replacing the ending screens. I wasn't going to, but I guess I've come this far with it, might as well just do it.

Finishing up version 1 of the editor. At first I had used WLA DX for compiling the final rom, but now I can write what I need through the editor. So I spent some time making sure everything that was outputted from the editor, matched the WLA DX output. There were some small snags, but it eventually got there.

I plan on posting the next release candidate this coming weekend. I still have some more work and testing to do on the editor. Hopefully I'll be able to push the code up to github at the same time as the release.

I really want to get back to SF2, but it's going to take a little more time.
Internal list:

// Testing
Test changing an edit tilemap's size (cols and rows)
Test updating/removing assets

// Features
Add compression validation
Add overflow status on all editor status bars
Add text writer, with definable char values
Output overview

// Bugs
Fix graphics import when using one tileset for many tilemaps

// Golden Axe
Ending sequence
Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:42 am
The first release of SMS Editor has been released. You can find the source code here: https://github.com/xfixium/SMSEditor

The binaries (.exe) and the Golden Axe: Tyris Edition resources can be found here: https://github.com/xfixium/SMSEditor/releases under the assets section.

Eventually I'll put up more information on how to use SMS Editor. For now, turning my attention to the the Golden Axe ending screens and text.
screen_48.png (33.92 KB)
screen_48.png
screen_49.png (24.54 KB)
screen_49.png
screen_50.png (44.66 KB)
screen_50.png

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:42 pm
xfixium wrote
The first release of SMS Editor has been released. You can find the source code here: https://github.com/xfixium/SMSEditor

The binaries (.exe) and the Golden Axe: Tyris Edition resources can be found here: https://github.com/xfixium/SMSEditor/releases under the assets section.

Eventually I'll put up more information on how to use SMS Editor. For now, turning my attention to the the Golden Axe ending screens and text.

Thx alot!!!! Im try now ;)
Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:47 pm
AAA+++
Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:31 pm
Will there be a tutorial? Hahaha, I didn't understand anything.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:53 pm
EmuBoarding wrote

Lol for now, there's a "Crash course" walkthrough on the github main page. Using Golden Axe, and the Golden Axe resources that are available on the release page. Wish I had a technical writer. I'm not all that good at tutorials.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:27 am
xfixium wrote
EmuBoarding wrote

Lol for now, there's a "Crash course" walkthrough on the github main page. Using Golden Axe, and the Golden Axe resources that are available on the release page. Wish I had a technical writer. I'm not all that good at tutorials.

ok!
Thx xfixium =)
Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:47 am
EmuBoarding wrote

ok!
Thx xfixium =)

Np, also, I just added pictures for each step, hopefully that helps.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:53 am
xfixium wrote
EmuBoarding wrote

ok!
Thx xfixium =)

Np, also, I just added pictures for each step, hopefully that helps.

Nice!
It's only work with Golden Ax or can I try another game?
Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:16 am
EmuBoarding wrote

Nice!

You can try it with any game. The limiting factor, right now, is that only Phantasy Star compression is supported at the moment. So, if you wanted to edit assets that use a different kind of compression, you couldn't. Uncompressed assets should work fine however.

I'm also using SMS Editor for my Street Fighter 2 hack, as well. I'll share the .smsed file when I'm done with it. As I have for Golden Axe.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:47 am
xfixium wrote
EmuBoarding wrote

Nice!

You can try it with any game. The limiting factor, right now, is that only Phantasy Star compression is supported at the moment. So, if you wanted to edit assets that use a different kind of compression, you couldn't. Uncompressed assets should work fine however.

I'm also using SMS Editor for my Street Fighter 2 hack, as well. I'll share the .smsed file when I'm done with it. As I have for Golden Axe.

Understand. I was going to try Master of Darknnes but the compression is different. I want to do a Castlevania hack on it. I found almost all graphics except the title screen. Do you intend to add more compression options besides Phantasy Star?

Thank you very much for the explanations with photos on github... it was practically a tutorial! Thansk!
Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:55 am
EmuBoarding wrote

Understand. I was going to try Master of Darknnes but the compression is different. I want to do a Castlevania hack on it. I found almost all graphics except the title screen. Do you intend to add more compression options besides Phantasy Star?

Thank you very much for the explanations with photos on github... it was practically a tutorial! Thansk!

Oh wow, that sounds pretty awesome! I would love to see that. I'm not sure what compression Master of Darkness uses, but I can take a look and see if I can add it in, or if any more knowledgeable people can add it to the SMS Editor repo.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:29 am
It might be good to build a plug-in interface for compression. I’ve done that a few times in .net, although you will then get complaints from everyone about it not being some other language or level of cross-platform usability.

I did start on making BMP2Tile have a decompression interface for the compression plugins, but didn’t get very far with it. You may prefer to keep it in managed code anyway.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:43 am

OMG. Many hacks will appear in next competition. Thx.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:00 pm
Maxim wrote
It might be good to build a plug-in interface for compression. I’ve done that a few times in .net, although you will then get complaints from everyone about it not being some other language or level of cross-platform usability.

I looked into doing the plug-in based approach. My initial plan was going to just use code that you already have available. (Interop and unmanaged dlls), but I kinda didn't know if me blatantly copying and pasting code would piss you off, so I avoided that approach.

Also, it seems like you've written all the plug-in code yourself? I always thought the strength of plug-ins was that other people would contribute, but I haven't seen much, if any other plug-ins contributed? You're a one person coding army!

Maxim wrote
I did start on making BMP2Tile have a decompression interface for the compression plugins, but didn’t get very far with it. You may prefer to keep it in managed code anyway.

I didn't know you had been working on such a thing. So, basically it would work by pointing to raw data, and defining some parameters? I mean, that'd be very useful imo.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:35 pm
Unmanaged DLLs have certain advantages (easy to throw in C libraries) and disadvantages (bitness and platform non portability). BMP2Tile has a bunch of plugins because I’m interested in the ideas of compression libraries and Z80 decompressors, it’s pretty simple to throw one together.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:49 am
xfixium wrote
Maxim wrote

I looked into doing the plug-in based approach. My initial plan was going to just use code that you already have available. (Interop and unmanaged dlls), but I kinda didn't know if me blatantly copying and pasting code would piss you off, so I avoided that approach.

Also, it seems like you've written all the plug-in code yourself? I always thought the strength of plug-ins was that other people would contribute, but I haven't seen much, if any other plug-ins contributed? You're a one person coding army!

Maxim wrote

I didn't know you had been working on such a thing. So, basically it would work by pointing to raw data, and defining some parameters? I mean, that'd be very useful imo.

One alternative would be to embed an interpreter inside the tool, so that the plugins could be developed using some popular scripting language, like JS or Python; that would lower the barrier towards plugin development.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:00 pm
Maxim wrote
Unmanaged DLLs have certain advantages (easy to throw in C libraries) and disadvantages (bitness and platform non portability). BMP2Tile has a bunch of plugins because I’m interested in the ideas of compression libraries and Z80 decompressors, it’s pretty simple to throw one together.

All valid points. At some point I'll look further into implementing a plugin solution.

haroldoop wrote

One alternative would be to embed an interpreter inside the tool, so that the plugins could be developed using some popular scripting language, like JS or Python; that would lower the barrier towards plugin development.

That's an interesting option, I'll have to look into it further.

I wasn't able to get the sprite work done this weekend. I drew some crude sketches on how I'd like the screens to be laid out. I also came up with some ending text, it may be a bit wordy, I haven't checked it with the character length constraints yet. Looks pretty limited, but I'll probably just use the added banks for more flexibility. Looks like new line character is FE and page end is FF.

I would like to create a text control in SMS Editor that you can define values for characters, and select a tileset for the visual output. Maybe some tilemap offsets for the screen, paging, etc... etc...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:59 pm
Technically one of my BMP2Tile plugins was a wrapper that can launch an executable, and thus can invoke Python or similar tools to run generic scripts in a language of your choice; but I don’t know if it was ever used.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:27 pm
xfixium wrote
All valid points. At some point I'll look further into implementing a plugin solution.

it would be easier (and cool) to directly use BMP2Tile plugins, so that you'll get all the existing plugins 'for free'
Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:05 pm
sverx wrote
xfixium wrote

it would be easier (and cool) to directly use BMP2Tile plugins, so that you'll get all the existing plugins 'for free'

I could do this, in fact I would prefer to. Why re-invent the wheel, right? Although I would like a decompression function for each plugin. Unless there are already, and I missed them?

There are also edge case scenarios I'd have to have solve. Like for Golden Axe's Title screen tilemap data not being 2 but 4 planes. The ending screens aren't planar. Which, I could get around those issues by compiling my own plugins in C, based on what's already there. Or another idea would be to expose the interleave parameter, if it is not already.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:56 pm
BMP2Tile plugins have a function for compressing tiles and another for compressing tilemap data, with dimensions. In theory the two can be dissimilar - Phantasy Star changes the interleaving between them - but often they are the same (just encode the blob). Particularly for tilemaps, you might want to cut it up into meta tiles or slices - but in reality you probably also want to use a proper tile map editor to handle meta tiles and their metadata.

Exposing decompressors would require adding all those functions, I never got far so I think only the simplest one exists. But it’s probably quite simple.

Since the goal isn’t to use modern C compression libraries, I suspect it’s better to have some configurable way to both specify the compression algorithm and parameters like interleaving.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:31 am
Maxim wrote
BMP2Tile plugins have a function for compressing tiles and another for compressing tilemap data, with dimensions. In theory the two can be dissimilar - Phantasy Star changes the interleaving between them - but often they are the same (just encode the blob). Particularly for tilemaps, you might want to cut it up into meta tiles or slices - but in reality you probably also want to use a proper tile map editor to handle meta tiles and their metadata.

Exposing decompressors would require adding all those functions, I never got far so I think only the simplest one exists. But it’s probably quite simple.

Since the goal isn’t to use modern C compression libraries, I suspect it’s better to have some configurable way to both specify the compression algorithm and parameters like interleaving.

I did notice the separate functions for tile and tilemaps when digging through the compressor source. I'm not familiar with the terms metatile and metadata. Is that tile attribute data, or another way of grouping tilemap data? As always, thank you for sharing the information.

I decided to just try decompressing Sonic 1 assets. I thought I was going to get lucky, and the Sonic 1 decompression was going to work on Master of Darkness XD. No such luck. It does look like MoD is doing something similar though. Tile rows are being stored in such a way that they're being looked up. Just not stored in the same way as the Sonic 1 compression. At least that's what it seems like?
sonic1_0001.png (33.08 KB)
sonic1_0001.png
sonic1_0002.png (35.25 KB)
sonic1_0002.png

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!