SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - I want to buy French RGB SMS2

Reply to topic
I want to buy French RGB SMS2
Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:23 pm
Yeah, see title.

DM me @n4of7 on twitter if you wish to sell yours to me.

I don't check my PMs here on smspower.

I'm doing research on SMS2 consoles and the only one I haven't looked at so far is the French version. This version already has a DIN plug on it for RGB (it only outputs RGB!) where VDP directly connects RGB and sync.

Ideally I would prefer if the SMS2 you sell me comes with the "Adapteur RVB" cable. I wish to study the circuitry in this cable, and based on it, produce a fully shielded option using mini coax with compatible circuitry (actually, I'll construct a cable using the THS7374 IC, which is quite sensible because French RGB SMS2 outputs VDP RGB/sync directly to the DIN with no circuitry.... maye sync has 2.2k ohm pull-up on it like other SMS2's? I'll find out when I look at the board)

EDIT:
Is the French SMS1 different too? Compared to non-French PAL consoles / NTSC consoles. Those ones already have DIN on PAL/NTSC regions so I'm guessing not. Just curious.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:10 pm
retroleah wrote

Is the French SMS1 different too? Compared to non-French PAL consoles / NTSC consoles. Those ones already have DIN on PAL/NTSC regions so I'm guessing not. Just curious.

Yes, the French model 1 SMS only outputs RGB and omits all the video encoder circuitry: http://hardware.segakore.fr/en/console_5.html
Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:59 am
ok, then i also want French RGB SMS1
Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:25 am
these sometimes come up for sale on French Rakuten or eBay, e.g. https://fr.shopping.rakuten.com/offer/buy/1149721/Sega-Master-System-Console-Seg... - however that one looks to be modded which might disqualify it for your purposes

Edit: I wrote something here earlier about SMS II Power Base RGB case color being lighter but that's wrong, mine is dark gray. Clear description or good photos of the label on the bottom are probably the only ways to distinguish these

Edit 2: here's a French RGB SMS II for sale on eBay, I believe you an ignore the "PAL" in the listing title based on the photos: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-MASTER-SYSTEM-II-Console-PAD-Gun-Light-Phaser-PAL/...

Listing claims it works, too!

Edit 3: and here's what I believe is a French RGB SMS I on eBay, again I suspect PAL in the listing title is likely an error: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-MASTER-SYSTEM-1-Power-Base-GhoulsnGhost-Cartridge-...

Also it's the same seller in France on both eBay listings, so maybe if you bought both they could be shipped together. In any case good luck! I am happy to see your video improvement progress and hope you are able to extend it to more models
Post Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:04 pm
yeah that ebay link is what i want. i don't want pre-modded console.

whenever i open up a pre-modded console, i usually cry out in pain. because most modders do poor work, or mediocre work. so i end up re-working it.

also, most modders don't use ESD strap or like, they'll damage the board, etc.
Post Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:21 pm
Yes, some mods would have been better to skip. Other modders do really great work, though! My favorites are the ones who include pictures of the mod work in the listing so you can judge it yourself and decide whether it's up to your standards

I say this, but my own work so far is so horrible I wouldn't even give it away. Practice is needed!
Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:51 am
I mean. If a modder shows photos of their work, then you can judge.

Most people on ebay don't show pics. The attached pic shows an SMS2 that I modded recently, with RGB bypass.

The french one is interesting because it already has a DIN on it, so it's quite feasible to do super clean RGB bypass mod on that. that's why i want one. The one in the attached screenshot is a normal PAL SMS2, that had the RF jack. I replaced RF jack with a DIN for RGB
sms2.jpg (248.05 KB)
sms2.jpg

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!