SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX

Reply to topic
Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX
Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:41 pm
https://www.ign.com/articles/alex-kidd-in-miracle-world-dx-trailer-details

I wonder who are the developers. It seems they are from UK.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:07 am
I was really hoping this got approved officially and it has! Alex Kidd in Miracle World was the game that really took gaming to the next level for me so I'm really looking forward to this.

You can follow the devs on twitter:
https://twitter.com/josyanf1

Steam Page:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1333470/Alex_Kidd_in_Miracle_World_DX/

Youtube Trailer:
Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:13 am

Old 2018 interview with the developers, in case someone missed it :
https://acertainkindofgamer.com/2018/06/19/remake-alex-kidd-in-miracle-world-an-...

--
3C075AD1-9034-485F-A232-0363E7A396BA.png (127.9 KB)
Attachment fairy
3C075AD1-9034-485F-A232-0363E7A396BA.png

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:15 am
They're from Spain, actually one of the producers, Naeval, contributed, if I remember correctly, some dumps to Smspower like 15 years ago or so (he's quite active in Twitter)
Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:37 am
I'd been following Josyan's twitter for years becuase of his Alex Kidd remake fan project and he was also doing a wonderboy fan game called Value Boy too.. I looked at the trailer today and thought "hmm this looks very familiar.. have they ripped him off".. but nope.. its actually him haha.. he must have presented his work to Sega and they loved it and backed him instead of giving him a C&D!
Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:39 pm
Looks cool and I'm happy to see it, but I'm really disappointed they're using his red & yellow costume from the later games, instead of his original red & WHITE costume FROM MIRACLE WORLD!! While the original sprites were too small too see it in much detail, there was plenty of artwork produced for the original Miracle World showing the intended detailing of his red and white costume, and the DX developers should have used this when remaking his character sprites. Strikes me as a careless oversight, like they didn't do their research properly.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:43 pm
Knowing some of the guys involved, they knew everything related to Alex Kidd totally by heart. If they decided on the red costume, it should be because it's an artistic decision, not anything else
Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:15 pm
I am very proud because developers are from Europe and not from Japan or USA.

Master System left unforgotten feelings in our countries.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:00 pm
So, they're Spanish. Thats's great news, I love the work of Spanish developers. From Paco Menéndez to Locomalito, Spain has such an important gaming tradition and history, sadly ignored by people outside Europe.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:35 pm
I am very excited about this!!
I am wondering about the retro mode...Will it have the same "new to old" transitions, like Wonder Boy 3 did on graphics and music?
I am looking forward for this project!!
Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:09 pm
mateusbond wrote
So, they're Spanish. Thats's great news, I love the work of Spanish developers. From Paco Menéndez to Locomalito, Spain has such an important gaming tradition and history, sadly ignored by people outside Europe.

In the case of Paco Menéndez, I think that his great work on "Abadia del Crimen" it's quite unknown outside Spain, even in Europe...
Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:02 am
The graphics look lovely. I'm looking forward to this.

The only thing that makes me suspicious is the announcement of 'gameplay enhancements'. I don't know what that's supposed to mean. The gameplay of the original is finely tuned, so messing with it can potentially break the game really quickly.

Oh, and I really hope the music in the trailer is just for the trailer and not what the new in-game tunes are supposed to sound like.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:56 am
I do confess that I am not sold on the art style, but we'll see how it goes.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:20 pm
On one side, it´s amazing that Sega gives it a go to bring Alex back into business. Look what a time period we have - with Wonder Boy, Toejam & Earl, Sonic (Mania), Streets of Rage and now Alex Kidd coming back. It feels like a 2nd youth to me. Big kid, ya know? :D

I was very sceptical regarding SoR4 when I saw Axel’s beard (omg, still strange), but it turned out to be a daaamn good game. I like this Alex Kidd trailer, ’cause there can be made a lot regarding the backgrounds. But I agree with Kagesan that the music could be different. Why not creating some arrange tunes of the original? They should know that the fans want it! Plus, I wish that Alex himself could look a bit different, especially his face. The way they made Jin in Monster Boy would be perfect to me.

Let´s see what happens - the most important thing is that we see Alex back in action!
Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:19 pm
kusfo wrote
Knowing some of the guys involved, they knew everything related to Alex Kidd totally by heart. If they decided on the red costume, it should be because it's an artistic decision, not anything else

It's supposed to be a remake of AKIMW, it should use the Red and White costume. There's no artistic decision about this - it's not accurate. Sure artistic decision comes in when adding details to a remake that are not present in the original game or supplemental materials (box art, manual illustrations, story text, etc), but changing something that is clearly presented in the source material to something different is not showing proper respect to the original game, the original production team or indeed the fans in my opinion.

I acknowledge that this change may be Sega's decision rather than the development team, but my point still stands whoever is responsible.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:06 am
I'm definitely not a fan of the art in the preview for the video, but I like the ingame stuff a lot.

I've been following this project since the concept art was unveiled years ago, and I actually thought it had been dropped, since the devs stopped talking about it on Twitter and seemed to move on to other things.
I'm very glad Sega seem to be happy to let fans make official fangames and remakes. I can't imagine Ni****do doing that at all, ever...
Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:16 am
TheAssassin wrote
kusfo wrote

It's supposed to be a remake of AKIMW, it should use the Red and White costume. There's no artistic decision about this - it's not accurate. Sure artistic decision comes in when adding details to a remake that are not present in the original game or supplemental materials (box art, manual illustrations, story text, etc), but changing something that is clearly presented in the source material to something different is not showing proper respect to the original game, the original production team or indeed the fans in my opinion.

I acknowledge that this change may be Sega's decision rather than the development team, but my point still stands whoever is responsible.

I don't know who decided that, obviously, but I think you haven't played a lot of remakes. Starting with the first Sierra Adventures (Larry or Wilco with the style of the later entries), to modern remakes of the 16 bits era, they usually don't respect original style or clothes.
For the general impressions, graphics look ok to me, not amazing but not bad. I'll probably buy it just to Sega know that we support this initiatives :-D
Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:03 am
If it will be release on PS4 in physical edition I will buy because I love AK but I don't like that fan art and the game is the same but remastered.
Interview with the developers
Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:13 pm
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/09/feature_jankenteam_on_reviving_alex_ki...
Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:25 am
That new interview doesn't do much to dispel my doubts. The AKiMW engine is thoroughly reverse-engineered, mainly through the excellent work of Calindro, and well-documented, but they aren't willing to investigate it in the first place, going by gut-feeling instead? That sounds like an incredibly sloppy approach. I guess we can write off getting a mechanically accurate remake in the way of Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap.

I'm also still concerned by the 'improvements' they keep talking about.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:36 pm
Kagesan wrote
I guess we can write off getting a mechanically accurate remake in the way of Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap.

To be fair the Dragon's Trap remake was so accurate because it was running the original rom in a glorified emulator. This made it challenging to add new content. I think the best remakes have a good balance of nostalgia and new experiences. That being said I absolutely adored the Dragon's Trap remake, I'm just trying to say there is room for different approaches.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!