Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sega Game Pack 4 in 1 Repro Box? History?

Reply to topic
Sega Game Pack 4 in 1 Repro Box? History?
Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:44 pm
Hi All,

Just stumbled upon this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Game-Pack-4-In-1-Sega-Game-Gear-Game-Boxed-And-C...

I actually have one myself (this is not my auction) the box is the same it is dull rather than the traditional silver sheen and it has the same poor clarity print and miss print hanger.

Thing with mine and this one actually is that it has been about a while as there is wear to the box and mine also has a musty smell as if it has been stored, it was also acquired well over 10 years ago.

Are these old repros as I didn't think people were knocking these out years ago, any thoughts?
Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:30 pm
What do you mean by misprint hanger?
Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:29 pm
edwithmj wrote
What do you mean by misprint hanger?

Good question, the box hanger (hole) is off centre and you can see a plain white area to the bottom and right hand side that hasn't been printed.
GG.PNG (30.41 KB)
GG.PNG

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:58 pm
Oh I see, cheers. Well spotted, I thought that was a shadow or something when I first saw it. I have a few Game Gear games where the punched out bit from the hang tab remains and it's certainly printed so that lends well to the theory that this is a repro but yet it does look old and, as you say, yours is well over 10 years old.

The only other box of this that I've seen is in this thread:
https://www.smspower.org/forums/10857-GameGearRarityListPAL

That one has the punched out bit and it's printed also, which seems to authenticate it.

Could you possibly upload some pictures of your one?

The box insert on the ebay listing is also non-standard (I've never seen it before). Does your one have this?

The game itself was mainly a pack in with Game Gears and certainly seems designed for that purpose, with the games being rather simple and watered down. Maybe Sega decided to sell off excess stock and printed off boxes to go with them.

Interestingly, I have two cartridges and two manuals of this game. One manual has a flat spine (more like a book) and the other has a sharp spine (more like a pamphlet).
Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:42 pm
Yeh the game defiantly got a retail release with a standard box, that’s the one in the thread you linked, I believe there are a few variants as well!

Here’s mine, has the same insert but at closer inspection the box printing is a tad different as you will see, very similar though. The manual is the small pamphlet style:

More pics here: https://imgur.com/a/7HPmcOW

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:45 pm
Thanks for those pictures. Where did you get yours? Was it from an ebay seller who had loads to sell or from a collector?

Because of the unusual insert and the similar misprints on the box, either one of two things is likely:

- Your one and the ebay listing are repros from the same original source

- They're official but both made by someone subcontracted by Sega

Just my opinion though.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:26 pm
I picked mine up in a lot with a non working Game Gear and a few other games, think it was eBay, although might have been local.

Your theories could be sound, just very strange that they have similar issues and the same insert.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:03 pm
Repro or not, the auction ended at £127.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:10 pm
Wow! Well a few people either wanted a repro or bought your theory! That’s rich money for it!
Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:41 pm
The rest of my Game Gear games went a while ago so I no longer need mine so up on eBay if anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Game-Pack-4-in-1-Sega-Game-Gear-Euro-PAL-Boxed-C...
Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:39 pm
Wow, £293.00 winning bid. Congratulations!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!