Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Phantasy Star retranslation 2.00 released

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:23 pm
Last edited by nategamrdude on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
boff wrote
Post a picture, man.

There are red block artifacts in battle mode or if you press pause. Just fight a monster fly or scorpion right outside the residential wall.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:17 pm
I think this problem may be unique to you...
Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:43 pm
Last edited by nategamrdude on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maxim wrote
I think this problem may be unique to you...

I'm using real hardware, Master System RGB bypass fm with everdrive (old ver) not x7.
Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:05 am
playing at 50 or 60 Hz?
Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:10 pm
Last edited by nategamrdude on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
sverx wrote
playing at 50 or 60 Hz?

I have 60hrz NTSC. I've tried 2 different consoles, the other is totally stock never modded and one is modded with rgb bypass and fm.

Same result with both Master Systems. Has anyone else got this? Fight a few battles at beginning out in open by residential area with fly or scorpion. You should see a flickering block if you watch the enemy name box at start of battle. May take a couple battles.

Otherwise it could be my Everdrive, I have old version not x7.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:16 am
Maxim, the only known bugs so far in version 2.0 are text errors when trying to buy the cake for the governor with little money and wrong attack value for myau at the maximum level?
Have you corrected anything else?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:49 am
You can see the open issues and commits in Github to see what’s pending or done. There were a few minor script errors (eg spelling inconsistencies) and the item renaming mentioned above.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:39 pm
Maxim wrote
You can see the open issues and commits in Github to see what’s pending or done. There were a few minor script errors (eg spelling inconsistencies) and the item renaming mentioned above.

I was wondering, have you tested on real hardware? I have old Everdrive v9 and I'm still getting artifact during battle (it's very fast). I tested using 2 Master Systems one was stock.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:29 pm
Can you make a video or photo?
Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:48 am
Maxim wrote

I've been watching this process for months and frankly it's been amazing to see the entire translation rewritten. It's a lot of work to finish up a project like this. In support of nategamrdude's observation, I see the glitch in the upper right corner during battles on a 1 chip Game Gear as well. (2 chip Game Gears seem to have glitches all over the place starting from the intro scene even in the original Phantasy Star without patches.) It has a McWill display installed and has been recapped, but is otherwise stock. I observe the same behavior on a Japanese Game Gear (MK Rayearth edition), also recapped and McWill modded.

As you can (hopefully, codecs allowing) see in the attached video starting at 2 seconds, the glitching doesn't usually last long. It's overwritten not long after it shows up. I'm using an Everdrive GG to play it, but I have the prior translation sitting in my SMS Phantasy Star cart (the original ROM chip's safely tucked away.) I could re-write the EPROM with this new translation to try on my Beeshu SMS to GG adapter to verify that it's not an EverDrive issue, in case you think that both SMS and GG Everdrives might be the cause.
MOV_20201007_0134036~2.mp4 (3.96 MB)
PS Retranslation glitch

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:56 am
That looks like a VDP access speed issue, I’ll look into it, thanks for the video.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:23 pm
nyandeyanen wrote
Maxim wrote

I've been watching this process for months and frankly it's been amazing to see the entire translation rewritten. It's a lot of work to finish up a project like this. In support of nategamrdude's observation, I see the glitch in the upper right corner during battles on a 1 chip Game Gear as well. (2 chip Game Gears seem to have glitches all over the place starting from the intro scene even in the original Phantasy Star without patches.) It has a McWill display installed and has been recapped, but is otherwise stock. I observe the same behavior on a Japanese Game Gear (MK Rayearth edition), also recapped and McWill modded.

As you can (hopefully, codecs allowing) see in the attached video starting at 2 seconds, the glitching doesn't usually last long. It's overwritten not long after it shows up. I'm using an Everdrive GG to play it, but I have the prior translation sitting in my SMS Phantasy Star cart (the original ROM chip's safely tucked away.) I could re-write the EPROM with this new translation to try on my Beeshu SMS to GG adapter to verify that it's not an EverDrive issue, in case you think that both SMS and GG Everdrives might be the cause.

You found it! Awesome lol. Sorry to everyone and Maxim, I've been too busy to make a video. At least you guys got it and people won't think I'm crazy.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:15 am
I think I have (belatedly) fixed this enemy name top border issue. Can you try the latest build at https://ci.appveyor.com/project/maxim-zhao/psrp/builds/36127817/artifacts and confirm it's good now?
Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:53 am
Maxim wrote
I think I have (belatedly) fixed this enemy name top border issue. Can you try the latest build at [link removed by nyandeyanen because I'm recent and spammers force the forum to do this] and confirm it's good now?

It looks good here, I haven't been able to reproduce the bug with this version after several battles.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:53 am
Great :) I have a little more I’d like to do and then I’ll make an official 2.01 release.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:50 am
Hi, Maxim.

I went to the GitHub you created for PS (https://github.com/maxim-zhao/psrp/issues) and saw that you are going to add a Shop QOL improvement. I thought it was very good.

I have a small suggestion: make PelorieMate recover MP. In addition to making this item useful (an item that recovers MP is what is missing in PS!), It would give a nice change in the gameplay.

What do you think? Consider my proposal with affection!
Big hug.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:36 am
I’m trying not to mess with the gameplay (anti-grinding aside). I guess the designers didn’t want a way to replenish MP.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:26 am
I will argue just one more time, Maxim. After all, the project is yours.
Recover MP is also present in the Sega Ages 2500 (PSG1).

What do you think about making this optional, just like you did brown hair for Alis?

Anyway, thanks for listening. : D

And, look at this:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5248/
Really good, right?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:45 am
It would be good to understand the changes in some of the later releases, I’m going off some YouTube video descriptions for some of these. Certainly the anti-grinding measures are nice to have, but only if they remain optional.

I don’t like the sprite changes. I know I did the brown hair thing - which seems like it was one of the most interesting things for the flurry of publicity when we released 2.00 - but overall I don’t want to mess with the artwork. The brown hair hack was just to make the in-game sprite match the cutscene and title artwork.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:50 pm
Maxim wrote
It would be good to understand the changes in some of the later releases, I’m going off some YouTube video descriptions for some of these. Certainly the anti-grinding measures are nice to have, but only if they remain optional.

I don’t like the sprite changes. I know I did the brown hair thing - which seems like it was one of the most interesting things for the flurry of publicity when we released 2.00 - but overall I don’t want to mess with the artwork. The brown hair hack was just to make the in-game sprite match the cutscene and title artwork.

Hey Guys,

Wonderful Job on PS to all of you. I wanted to say one last thing...When healing the text says " STAMINA increased" I just feel like it should be HP, it is hp right? stamina is like endurance.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:13 pm
[quote="nategamrdude"]
Maxim wrote

Hey Guys,

Wonderful Job on PS to all of you. I tried "beta" wanted to say one last thing...When healing the text says " STAMINA increased" I just feel like it should be Health, right? stamina is like endurance. noticed pause is broken again and Fishman and couple others still have "block glitches" Probably be fixed in official 2.1.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:10 pm
I'm hoping to wrap up 2.01 for the 33rd anniversary on December 20th.

What do you mean by "pause is broken again"?

The health restoration says stamina because that's kind of what HP is, it's not really "healthiness". Maybe it'd be clearer to say "health"?

Are the "block glitches" the same as the enemy name box glitches mentioned previously?
  • Site Admin
Version 2.01 released
Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:13 pm
I have just released (for the 33rd anniversary - 20th December 1987 to 20th December 2020) version 2.01 of the retranslation. There are some minor changes and bug fixes compared to 2.00, and an "original names" version with some names closer to the original English release.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:13 pm
Well, one more reason to play it again next year :-) thank you!
Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:20 pm
I made a small modification to the Alisa, Tylon and Lutz sprites based on this hack:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5248/

I just touched up the sprites from this hack, see how they look (.IPS here):

https://mega.nz/file/bY9HlSQQ#LRQuMbW2I3F2jMNvxpBxleEHQFIql1zGrwsSdOl2ohU

Now imagine if instead of just having the Brunette Alisa option on the menu, you had these three characters modified? What do you think?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:26 am
Maxim, I played version 2.01 from start to finish. The game went perfectly.

I let the tarantulas tie me up at will: all messages appeared without errors (probably the user who reported them was using an old sram).

I think I found only one error in the text of the NPC that gives us access to the Luveno ship.
He says [... Go head ...].
Wouldn't that be [... Go ahead ...] ?

Wonderful translation. Good work.
Happy new year to all.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:56 pm
I maybe have noticed some of the previously mentioned bugs, but I think it might just be the console, or an issue with the everdrive+console combination. I thought i'd mention it so you can rule out the patch itself as the problem.

I've been enjoying this retranslation so far, been playing a few weeks on a game gear using an everdrive X7. I never had any issues myself but just last tonight I finished recapping a second game gear I plan to mcwill and when testing it out I found the red block artifacts in battles. After first seeing it on motavia, I returned to camineet and saw them there. in fact they're in every "battle screen background" for the most part, even when I just press the menu button, but they seem far worse in battles. I decided to try the stock phantasy star rom too and they're in the stock game too on this system.

I would have thought something was wrong with the console, and it might still be the console, but I remembered a mention of red blocks and bugs like this mentioned here and it sounds like EXACTLY what nategamrdude saw on his stock master system using an everdrive.

The system with the red artifacts is a twin asic 837-7719-01 USA, the one that seems to work flawlessly is a single asic USA 837-9024. both are recapped, the single asic has a LED backlight, but the twin is stock. If he's seeing them on a master system as well it makes me think there's some hardware revision that has issues with phantasy star. I'm still trying a ton of games, but it seems every other game I try on my everdrive gg, whether it's SMS or GG, works perfectly with both systems.

I've included a single picture, but I did take a few more. I'd be happy to add them or take any other pictures or tests if it would help, however it seems to me that this might not be an issue with the retranslation itself since I get the same bugs with a stock rom.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:08 pm
It's a bit odd, it looks like tilemap corruption at random-seeming locations. I can't imagine why that would happen. Normally this sort of thing is related to VRAM access being too fast, but this game is "safe" in that respect as far as I know.

I'm working on a 2.02 release shortly, which is mainly focused on translations (French and Brazilian Portuguese for now, I welcome volunteers to translate to almost any language) but also has wider text windows and more script space than ever. I'm also hoping to squash any remaining bugs.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:24 pm
It's hard to see on that picture, but on the screen before the text boxes pop up, the box pattern does occasionally have a slanted checkerboard kind of pattern on it making it seem less random at times.

I seem to recall seeing some similar looking issue recently on a game gear where little boxes were displayed incorrectly in a pattern like that but I can't remember when or where. I'll keep looking into it. It just seems odd that another person would get the same issues on two different master systems that I have on this one game gear, but it definitely doesn't seem like your patch.

Anyway, thanks for the patch! Like I said I've really been enjoying it and I might even put it on an SMS cartridge for a cousin.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:06 pm
Maxim wrote
Normally this sort of thing is related to VRAM access being too fast, but this game is "safe" in that respect as far as I know.

This kind of VRAM corruption coupled by the fact that there seems to be some constant(-ish) distance between two corrupted blocks on the same row, greatly hint that it could really be some timing problem.

Given that this happens on *some* hardware only, I suspect there's something here that makes this game not work correctly, even if it's a program that would otherwise work perfectly.

Maxim, can you track the piece of code that draws that background?

I would be very interested to see if this problem appears consistently on a specific GameGear hardware...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:05 pm
In Phantasy Star, tile maps are decompressed to memory and then uploaded to VRAM. I’ll check the exact timing... but it would be surprising if it was any faster here than in any other game.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:41 pm
so if there's a simple RAM->VRAM copy of a block of bytes, a timing issue would sometimes 'skip' one byte write and would corrupt everything after that, as it would swap high and low byte (until next skip happens)

on the other hand if it was the decompression code doing something wrong, you would likely get that problem on *any* hardware - unless something unexpected corrupts the decompressed data on *some* hardware

so, I'm really curious to see the RAM->VRAM transfer code
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:14 pm
I haven’t nailed down exactly which one it is yet but probably something like this:

https://github.com/maxim-zhao/psrp/blob/master/psrp/Phantasy%20Star%20disassembl...

This runs in VBlank. Elsewhere it optimises to blocks of consecutive outi opcodes.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:20 pm
I see, that's just tight loops of OUTI and JP Z, that is exactly 26 cycles between writes.

If this was the failing part, say because this specific VDP wants more than 26 cycles between writes, I insist you would get a very different result graphically. But here it looks like instead of skipping a byte, a different value gets written to the correct VRAM location sometimes.

Can bad timing do that? Isn't there a latch on the VDP so it's either you're overwriting previous value before it gets written to VRAM or you don't?

@asdfqwer426 does that happen on every screen? If that consistently happen in some screen and it never happens on others, can you give us details?
Thanks!
Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:19 am
Maxim wrote
It's a bit odd, it looks like tilemap corruption at random-seeming locations. I can't imagine why that would happen. Normally this sort of thing is related to VRAM access being too fast, but this game is "safe" in that respect as far as I know.

I'm working on a 2.02 release shortly, which is mainly focused on translations (French and Brazilian Portuguese for now, I welcome volunteers to translate to almost any language) but also has wider text windows and more script space than ever. I'm also hoping to squash any remaining bugs.

Massive kudos and thanks from the FreshGaming Discord community for all your awesome and amazing work along with the entire SMSPower team with regards to an update for this awesome translation. The QoL features are especially handy since it was always tricky to get certain mods to play nice alongside the retranslation. This provides a nice 'all in one' sort of patch that people can (re)enjoy!

Looking forward to whenever the 2.02 release happens. Please take your time and release it whenever you wish! :)
Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:01 pm
Last edited by asdfqwer426 on Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
@sverx - I'm glad you chimed in as I found one other title that displays some errors - your SMS test suite! It's very hard to duplicate on your suite and seems very random, but in phantasy star is happens very consistently, but not always the same in each screen. In your suite it only shows up as occasional missing letters.

I went ahead and took a video I'll be uploading to YouTube shortly. If I can't post the link I'll message you directly, maybe you can post it. I must confess, as everything else works perfect I went ahead and modded the lcd on this game gear, the bugs persist exactly like they were before. They're now much easier to see.

If I can help any other way, let me know. I'm curious to solve this myself.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:07 pm
oh!

I guess this means (but it might be too soon to affirm this) that there is some (few) hardware where the assumption that 26 cycles between writes to VRAM are safe. This would be very interesting.

One way or another I'm really interested in any info that can shed lights on this matter.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:28 pm
Got the video uploaded.

.be

I should have included a clip of it happening in regular phantasy star as well! It's pretty much the same thing, but still.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:44 pm
mmm... can you also run a memtest a few times to see if it's not a VRAM issue? Because it really seems like it's sometimes writing a 0 instead of the expected byte value in the tilemap, but it's not skipping byte writes...
Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:33 pm
Well I've run memtest about a dozen times now and it all comes up green. That said, I've found a third application - memtest also seems to occasionally drop letters like the test suite did.

Would it be beneficial at this point to see if nategamrdude gets the same results on his two master systems as well? I just keep worrying it's an issue with my specific system. Would definitely put my mind at ease if he gets the same stuff I do.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:03 pm
asdfqwer426 wrote
Well I've run memtest about a dozen times now and it all comes up green. That said, I've found a third application - memtest also seems to occasionally drop letters like the test suite did.

so let's assume the VRAM in your hardware is fine - to print a character on screen in SMS Test Suite and memtest we call a common function in crt0 that copies two bytes into a previously selected location in video memory:

.org    0x18                    ; Reset 18h - write HL to VDP Data Port
_SMS_crt0_RST18::
        ld a,l                          ; (respecting VRAM time costraints)
        out (#0xBE),a                   ; 11
        ld a,h                          ; 4
        sub #0                          ; 7
        nop                             ; 4 = 26 (VRAM SAFE)
        out (#0xBE),a
        ret

so you can see, there are exactly 26 CPU cycles between the two writes.

If this was too fast, we would likely get one byte only written into the VRAM, but here it looks like we're getting two bytes written - but the first one seems to be set to 0 (which could also likely be the value of the second...) so it might be writing the second byte twice instead of the first one.

I think I could add a specific test to memtest for this and see how it goes.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:30 pm
one question though - I read you're using an Everdrive X7. Can you turn off the ingame menu? I'm not sure how that works, but it's worth trying...
Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:44 pm
I'm pretty sure there's no way to shut it off.

Wish I had a master system adapter, I'd love to just try a plain phantasy star cart to rule out the everdrive altogether, but I have no adapter for now.

EDIT: Found out "Outrun" for master system also displays similar errors in the same slanted checker board pattern as phantasy star. Interestingly the incorrect "boxes" slant left and right depending on where you are turning in game.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:25 am
asdfqwer426 wrote
Interestingly the incorrect "boxes" slant left and right depending on where you are turning in game.

That's not surprising, as games like Outrun create the bends in the street by shifting the horizontal scroll value on a per line basis. This makes all the tiles appear slanted. You just don't see it normally because adjacent tiles in games like this are usually the same color and have no discernable edges.
  • Site Admin
Version 2.1 released
Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:50 am
I've released version 2.1 with English, French and Brazilian Portuguese versions!

https://www.smspower.org/Translations/PhantasyStar-SMS-EN
https://www.smspower.org/Translations/PhantasyStar-SMS-FR
https://www.smspower.org/Translations/PhantasyStar-SMS-PT-BR
Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:16 am
Maxim wrote
I've released version 2.1 with English, French and Brazilian Portuguese versions!

Nice. Thanks for porting the translated script and giving me the opportunity to be part of the project!
Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:42 am
Absolutely fantastic. This continues to amaze!
Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:32 am
Maxim wrote

Awesome!
I'm humbly requesting that the 'translation notes' be included in the download you have on your website (and maybe the RHDN one as well).

The notes at the github link.

They are vital to understand the (now changed) item names and other bits that are different from what people may be used to. Ruoginin stands out as a 'wtf is that' item.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:15 pm
I debated changing the name to Rarginine which is closer to the original...

Those notes are in the readme already, but are in Markdown so maybe hard to read. Embedding Japanese in plain text tends to end badly though as there are few fixed width fonts that work well with it. I may try pulling that out to another file and linking to it.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:38 am
asdfqwer426 wrote
Got the video uploaded.

(edited out)

I should have included a clip of it happening in regular phantasy star as well! It's pretty much the same thing, but still.

I see this same issue with every 2 ASIC Game Gear I've touched, and only with Phantasy Star. The behavior is consistent with the original cartridge and the Beeshu Master System adapter (Phantasy Star doesn't work with Sega's Master Gear converter as I understand it.) I've been modding Game Gears quite a bit over the past year to recap and add McWill displays, so I've seen several. With a 1 ASIC system it works fine, it appears SEGA improved compatibility with the hardware revision.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!