Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS Lemmings on a modern tv - bad picture

Reply to topic
SMS Lemmings on a modern tv - bad picture
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:57 pm
Hey! I am curious for anyone's experience. I bought an AV cable for my SMS and have a really nice picture after tinkering with my modern tv's settings, but Lemmings is proving to be a different case, to the point where it's extremely difficult on some levels to discern pixels. As an example, all the inner blue dots on steel tiles (and the green dots on top) are really not clear at all. I imagine some of this is just down to the way the graphics were done, but I am curious if any of you have the game and play it in any video configuration on a modern tv - I haven't got a capture card yet so I'll need to do that anyways but if anyone knows whether an upscaler will actually help, or whether the only way for the requisite crispness (closer to this ) is to get a specific higher level of video output, I'd be most grateful for any insight.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:39 pm
Is your AV RGB or composite? Modern TVs will still try to upscale that but the quality of that upscaling may vary, and sadly few offer a blocky option.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:05 pm
Maxim wrote
Is your AV RGB or composite? Modern TVs will still try to upscale that but the quality of that upscaling may vary, and sadly few offer a blocky option.

Afaik it's a composite yellow/white. I've removed wide and I get a perfectly good picture with other games, it seems more to be the design of Lemmings so I'm unsure whether a higher end connection or an upscaler would help.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:06 am
Frankly, composite is pretty bad, barely better than RF, by design it smears details. RGB will make a huge difference for both a CRT and a modern display.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:27 pm
Maxim wrote
Frankly, composite is pretty bad, barely better than RF, by design it smears details. RGB will make a huge difference for both a CRT and a modern display.

I'm more hoping someone has encountered this exact same situation - I don't want to argue or seem argumentative, but the picture is really absolutely fine on every other game. I'm lucky because I know upscalers would introduce horrendous lag so I'm gonna root out my crt and a vcr and see if I can route through that, and I am open to something like a rad2x cable, it just would be pretty galling to have to shell out that much for ONE game.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:26 pm
I imagine other games are equally impacted, it's just that you are not looking for 1px differences as much in them. It's also possible that the black background exacerbates the issue, which could explain why it seems worse for Lemmings.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!