SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Help With McWill Game Gear Mod - Fuzzy & Washed Out Screen

Reply to topic
Help With McWill Game Gear Mod - Fuzzy & Washed Out Screen
Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:50 pm
Dear SMS Power Forum,

I bought a McWill Game Gear kit and just installed it. I encountered a fuzzy pixelated and washed out screen issue that I wonder if you can help me with, to narrow down whether it is a bad McWill screen or a bad Game Gear motherboard.

When soldering, one of the gold solder tabs on the upper right side of the McWill LCD board lifted completely from the heat. See attached picture of the circled tab in red. I completed everything else according to the official Version 2.2 McWill instructional tutorial but was unable to solder the upper right data line properly. I was wondering:

1. Is there is another data point that I can use instead of the upper right tab that lifted? Does anywhere else on the McWill board share continuity with the upper right tab? I did try soldering a wire already to the gold portion on the reverse side of the burnt tab, but still have been having the fuzzy screen issue.

2. The screen has fuzzy "snow" in the picture, and the image is washed out. Would that lifted pad be the likely culprit for the snow in the image? All other wires look to be soldered well. Would something else cause this snow in the image?

Note that I did a successful cap replacement on this Game Gear and tested it first to ensure all worked fine before proceeding with the screen replacement. Then, I removed and added all of the components specified in the 2.2 guide successfully. I also did the VGA out mod, and when I attach the Game Gear to an external computer monitor, I am getting the same pixelated, washed out look.

Please see pictures enclosed. My Game Gear is a 1 ASIC one, Model 837-9024. Note that the white glue is non conductive silicone paste, to add more strength to the soldered wires and insulation. I am assuming this practice (adding white silicone with a toothpick) is safe and won't bridge any connections. Let me know otherwise.

Thanks so much in advance for any troubleshooting help and guidance!

Sincerely,

jburger
mcwill_burnt_tab.jpg (425.84 KB)
Burnt upper right tab circled.
mcwill_burnt_tab.jpg
snowy pixels.jpg (770.29 KB)
Fuzzy pixels like snow on LCD.
snowy pixels.jpg
snowy pixels 2.jpg (1.72 MB)
Pixelated Sonic screen.
snowy pixels 2.jpg
snowy pixels 3.jpg (1.6 MB)
Sonic start screen.
snowy pixels 3.jpg
full mod picture.jpg (1.63 MB)
Full picture of modded game gear
full mod picture.jpg
full mod picture other side.jpg (1.51 MB)
Full picture of modded game gear - reverse side
full mod picture other side.jpg

Nevermind - Fixed!
Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:04 pm
Update: I was able to figure out the problem with the screen snow and washout--it was fixed while redoing the solder joints along the bottom LCD ribbon cable where the old LCD was glued onto.

I also found the back of the upper right portion of the McWill screen to be a suitable fix for the burned / lifted pad where you slide on the McWill screen to the Game Gear board. I just joined the two with a wire instead of a blob of solder.

I will leave my post up in case it helps someone else out there.

Have a good one!
fixed.jpg (1019.11 KB)
Fixed!
fixed.jpg

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:01 pm
Nice! I'd like to get this mod done for my game gear (It's recently had a full capacitor replacement done by my friend.), I hear SMS games are MUCH better to play on a game gear with the McWill mod.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!