9 12% 12%
10 (Excellent) 37% 37%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Music competition 2020] Evildead Requiem by Polaria Poyon
Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:42 pm
https://www.smspower.org/Music/EvildeadRequiem-Homebrew

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:33 pm
This is a very lively and catchy composition! I love the rhythm. :)
You definitely put care on the instruments I can notice it, it makes it all so enjoyable. I'm a fan of all the little bends and twists. Near the end there is this really cool portamento melody with a kind of "bubbling bass" going on, I like that part!
The title of the track is nice and a cool match with the feeling of the melody.

The hihat is slightly on the grating side for me. Little bit lower volume or a more pleasant frequency would work better. Might also be that I just have sensitive ears but very often Master System hihats have a kind of percussive attack on them that just doesn't sound good to me. This is the only nitpick I have for this great track, otherwise I'd really like to play this loud.

---

You use Deflemask right? I don't use it myself but from what I have tested it's missing a total of 6 high frequencies you could use.
In the editor notes C8, B7 & A#7 all equal as the highest note the Master System can do. When you go down to A7 it's actually the 8th highest note, missing the 6 frequencies in between. This is from my own testing, at least I couldn't make it produce those missing notes. It's a shame as those work wonderfully as hihat and snare sounds for example, bringing more diversity to the colour of the sound.

I use VGM Music Maker myself and... it also has a problem with the frequencies. It's not capable of producing the 2 highest notes. Well it can produce the highest note in a buggy way as it's the noise default state and if you change the frequency you can't access it anymore which makes it totally useless.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:46 pm
TomyS wrote
You use Deflemask right? I don't use it myself but from what I have tested it's missing a total of 6 high frequencies you could use.
In the editor notes C8, B7 & A#7 all equal as the highest note the Master System can do. When you go down to A7 it's actually the 8th highest note, missing the 6 frequencies in between.

Yes I use deflemask. I actually had no idea about this. I very rarely go that high because I find the sound piercing, so I dont have much experience with it. But thank you for all the kind words! And yes I agree, I never end up satisfied with my my hi hats since you're basically forced to make them 1 tick when you use periodic noise. I've tried pushing it by making them 2 or 3 ticks but it makes the bass sound very delayed. You just cant win! :p
Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:28 am
Great dynamic composition, the sound is really "clean" ! I don't know why but it reminds me the title screen of Chuck Rock ^^. It's an incredible work.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:56 pm
Outstanding composition, congrats!
It feels like a perfect mix of "spooky" and "funny" theme, i love it!

I hope you'll use it in a game project someday!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:44 am
Been enjoying your tunes on sound cloud for a while now.

Like the fun and quirky nature of the tune, something I see a lot in your music. Your use of noise channel is impressive. Could totally see this tune in a game.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:54 am
TomyS wrote

In the editor notes C8, B7 & A#7 all equal as the highest note the Master System can do. When you go down to A7 it's actually the 8th highest note, missing the 6 frequencies in between. This is from my own testing, at least I couldn't make it produce those missing notes. It's a shame as those work wonderfully as hihat and snare sounds for example, bringing more diversity to the colour of the sound.

Out of interest and slightly off topic, I'm currently working on a new music tracker and truncate anything above the 8th octave (A2 - B8 range total). I did this because anything higher is quite piercing or even totally inaudible (maybe to my older ears), is there any valid case for going higher?
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:37 am
djbass wrote
Out of interest and slightly off topic, I'm currently working on a new music tracker and truncate anything above the 8th octave (A2 - B8 range total). I did this because anything higher is quite piercing or even totally inaudible (maybe to my older ears), is there any valid case for going higher?

If you're talking about the 50% square tone channels then I understand completely, something like the upper 3 octaves are useless to me. The sound is so piercing.

It's when you use the third square to drive the noise channel that all of the frequencies are much needed. For example the higher the frequency for a hihat instrument is the smoother and nicer it will sound (at least to me). The lower you go the more pronounced this harsh click sound will become.This is most noticeable with 1 tick hihats, as you usually can't afford to make them any longer if you use 6.25% square. You can also create different noise instruments combining these frequencies, you'll have more possibilities with more frequencies.

Please use all the frequencies in your music tracker. These frequencies are the key for good noise drum instruments.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:26 am
great great track. great composition and great use of the PSG chip
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!