Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Add more 3D Glasses + Light Phaser compatible games

Reply to topic
Add more 3D Glasses + Light Phaser compatible games
Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:26 am
Hello guys! I'm Leonardo Macedo, I'm from Brazil and new member of SMS Power! Guys, I'm a big fan of the Master System and next month I'll be promoting an event with lots of old school games at my house just to help depressive people. I really wanted to show them good games that they could play with people they don't know, just to start new friends! I was wondering if you guys could hack all the Light Phaser ROMs and add compatibility for 2 players and also add compatibility with the 3D Glasses too. Could you guys help me? I have 2 3D Glasses and I want to plug them with 2 Light Phasers to play games like, Gangster Town in 3D, or Assault City in 3D with 2 players. If you could help me, I would be very grateful!

P.s.: Also if you could add 3D compatibility to the original Space Harrier, I would be even more grateful!
Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:55 am
Adding 3D glasses support is non-trivial. Doing it for several games with a deadline of a month would be a herculean effort. Supporting more than one pair of 3D glasses would, AFAIK, require some hardware work.

Dual light phasers seems like a slightly more reasonable proposition, so long as you're fine with two players acting as a single player, but it requires the hacker having the hardware to test with, and the motivation to do the work.

If the intent is to help people use games to make friends outside of this event, why not focus on games that are readily available to play with standard pads, instead of ROM hacks that would require a homebrew cart and special peripherals to play?
Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:32 pm
That is a TON of work within a 1 month deadline. You'd need to have deep pockets if you want to see the entire "Light Phaser" compatible game library to have both two player and multi 3D Glasses support. There are some things that are possible but not this one at least not in a month with no significant monetary gain.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:49 pm
Hello my friends! Thanks for replying to my post! So, I have a Aliexpress Everdrive for the Master System and I just prepared that for this event. I created a folder with only games for 2 players. I asked you to try to make these changes just so that people had more options to play and because I really didn't know that these things where that difficult. Oh, and I wasn't thinking about using these hacks the next month because I knew it would take more than a month. But, it's okay, thank's for explaining!
So, let tell you about what games will be avaiable on the event:
Atari 2600 - with flashcart and support to 4 players
Master System - with flashcart and support to 2 players
PlayStation - with lots of 4 player compatible games
Ni****do 64 - with flashcart and support to 4 players
2 Game Boy Colors - with 2 flashcarts for Game Link Cable compatibility
PlayStation 2 - with lots of 4 player compatible games
Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:58 pm
As a final note: while I applaud the idea of using games to bring people together, do you think that a global pandemic is the best time to be arranging any kind of gathering, PARTICULARLY for something as literally hands-on as playing games?

If it were me, I'd shelve the whole idea for now.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:12 pm
Thanks Wafer for the applause hahaha Yes you're right but the event would start a week ago, but with the global pandemic, I changed the day for the next month. If the things don't get better next month, I'll change again. But thanks for the advice!
Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:45 am
Could a Japanese SMS support 2 sets of 3D glasses at the same time?

It has a dedicated 3D port and you could plug another port into the card slot...

------
As a side note, I'm pissed my J-SMS is still stuck in customs (since Feb 11). I fear with this outbreak, it'll be stuck there for awhile. I bought 7 games to play on it got an adapter to play non- Japanese games in it. I would be set for quarantine except I don't have the system...
Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:59 am
I think technically you only need one 3D glasses driver card and just a sort of breakout cable that copies the signals over to both glasses set. I dont know what type of interface the 3D glasses use (standard 3 1/2 mm jack or not) but it wouldn't be hard to accomplish... The tough one would be the 2 player light gun modes for games.

Tha_Ape wrote

It has a dedicated 3D port and you could plug another port into the card slot...

------
As a side note, I'm pissed my J-SMS is still stuck in customs (since Feb 11). I fear with this outbreak, it'll be stuck there for awhile. I bought 7 games to play on it got an adapter to play non- Japanese games in it. I would be set for quarantine except I don't have the system...
Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:11 am
Tha_Ape wrote

I checked its wiki page, and apparently the adapter is just passively reading the bus, so yeah it seems like that would work (I didn't realise the J-SMS had a dedicated port).

The only potential issue I see is that you risk pulling too much power from the SMS, but... the glasses are just LCDs, so I can't imagine them drawing that much. I'm not an expert though, so take all the above with a pinch of salt.

Edit: I originally said that maybe a headphone splitter might also do the job but, haha, I just looked up the circuit for the card and there's actually more going on with the power than I imagined, so I wouldn't say that with any real confidence now.

Edit again: This got me thinking... Modern 3d shutter glasses are going for practically nothing on eBay. I doubt it would be that hard to adapt those to support the Master System, AND there's a circuit floating around to add the 3d port to Master System IIs. You could potentially scratch build your own 3d setup.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:28 am
If you want both players to see the same thing, then you can just use a headphone splitter. If you want them to see different things then you’d need a customised adaptor to make all four lens states possible.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:44 am
Maxim wrote
If you want both players to see the same thing, then you can just use a headphone splitter. If you want them to see different things then you’d need a customised adaptor to make all four lens states possible.

Like split screen game, but full screen for both players.

Truth be told, the old 3d glasses still have bleed over between frames, not much, but some. I suspect timing/ LCD physical reaction. Some of the games definitely work better than others though.
Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:28 am
Interesting discussion. I think it would be awesome if indie developers attempt on making new 3D and/or Light Phaser games for the SMS!
I always enjoyed the Sega Scope 3D, but it is an extremely underrated peripheral that only got a few games. How nice it would be to have its library expanded!
Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:29 am
tsp wrote
Interesting discussion. I think it would be awesome if indie developers attempt on making new 3D and/or Light Phaser games for the SMS!
I always enjoyed the Sega Scope 3D, but it is an extremely underrated peripheral that only got a few games. How nice it would be to have its library expanded!

I agree 100%. They are such awesome add-ons, maybe my fav on any sega system.
Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:14 pm
Thank you very much tsp and segasonicfan! Let's see if somebody can give us this incredible gift! Greetins from Brazil!
Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:16 pm
Wafer wrote
Tha_Ape wrote

I checked its wiki page, and apparently the adapter is just passively reading the bus, so yeah it seems like that would work (I didn't realise the J-SMS had a dedicated port).

The only potential issue I see is that you risk pulling too much power from the SMS, but... the glasses are just LCDs, so I can't imagine them drawing that much. I'm not an expert though, so take all the above with a pinch of salt.

Edit: I originally said that maybe a headphone splitter might also do the job but, haha, I just looked up the circuit for the card and there's actually more going on with the power than I imagined, so I wouldn't say that with any real confidence now.

Edit again: This got me thinking... Modern 3d shutter glasses are going for practically nothing on eBay. I doubt it would be that hard to adapt those to support the Master System, AND there's a circuit floating around to add the 3d port to Master System IIs. You could potentially scratch build your own 3d setup.

Yea, this is an ancient post, but I can confirm it works. Just got a set of "vintage" (so the seller called them) Asus 3D glasses so I wouldnt have to worry about breaking my SegaScope3Ds. I plugged both into a J-SMS (one via the built in 3D port and the other via the card adapter) and played OutRun 3D. Worked just fine.

I dont have a 3.5mm splitter to test, but thats obviously a more elegant solution if it works.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!