theskvillage
R-type
Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:06 am

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:41 am
Any reason we should be interested in a video of an emulator
Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:10 am
SavagePencil wrote
Any reason we should be interested in a video of an emulator

Maybe they are proud that they have completed R-Type and wish to share it with the SMS Community, which I think is nice! I've never completed it. I say well done!!!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:10 pm
Check the channel (and that he’s posting on sega8bit forums too) - looks like an attempt to promote a YouTube channel but the videos don’t seem that interesting compared to many other channels with videos of emulated gameplay.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:37 am
I guess what I’m saying is that a playthrough without any commentary or anything to distinguish it (e.g., didn’t even go to the secret level) just feels like it falls flat. Had they come in saying “I spent 30 years trying to beat this, and finally did it!” that would be very different.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:36 pm
In general, R-Type is one of my all time favourite Space Shooter games and to see, how well the little Sega 8bit performs here, is great.
I spend some money for the Atari Jaguar version, what´s nothing else than a Atari ST port, and I´m still disappointed, how lousy the 16bit version plays. Terrible scrolling and the spaceship moves like an oil tanker.

No, not my video ... and I don´t know who uploaded the video.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:30 am
From what I had seen, even if it was dated by that point, licensing a Jaguar port of R-Type would've still been better than Trevor McFur. :)
(seen some videos of Trevor and, judging from them "we can use millions of colors!" seem to be the only thing impressive. I remember seeing enemy design that just looked thrown together thoughtlessly and gameplay looked more generic than most 8-bit shooters I've played, certainly the good ones. And the digitalized graphics of like a dude with a lion head Photoshopped on is something that, seeing in a magazine even as a child back in the day, thought looked ugly and afraid all future games were going to look like that. :P )
Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:04 am
KingMike wrote
From what I had seen, even if it was dated by that point, licensing a Jaguar port of R-Type would've still been better than Trevor McFur. :)
(seen some videos of Trevor and, judging from them "we can use millions of colors!" seem to be the only thing impressive. I remember seeing enemy design that just looked thrown together thoughtlessly and gameplay looked more generic than most 8-bit shooters I've played, certainly the good ones. And the digitalized graphics of like a dude with a lion head Photoshopped on is something that, seeing in a magazine even as a child back in the day, thought looked ugly and afraid all future games were going to look like that. :P )

Trevor McFur is a good example, that the number of bits the console can deal with and the number of colors, which can be shown at the same time on the screen are no indications for the quality of a game. In fact, Trevor McFur is rubbish. Graphics, Sound, enemy design and formation ... the list of things, they went wrong is long. There is a bit of sunshine too ... some (well ... just few) enemies look awesome (the skeleton dragon end boss e.g.) and the bonus weapons are not soo bad. But in general not enough, to rescue the game. Quite similar experience I had with Raiden ... Jaguar version is good ... rock solid, nothing wrong. But compared to the 8bit TurboDuo version ... Jezz! That´s Raiden how I love it. A pity, that there´s no Raiden for the SMS out there ....
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!