SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Mega Drive Controller at the SMS

Reply to topic
Mega Drive Controller at the SMS
Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:27 am
Last edited by evisu on Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Hey guys, probably a known issue, but at least I was surprised ...

I got Bomber Raid around two weeks ago and was looking forward to play it a bit a few days ago. Put my MD Controller in the MS, because I prefer the MD pad over the MS pad. But there was something wrong ... Start was not on Button B and when the game started I couldn´t control the plane. Ok ... cartridge in and out, no change. Blowing into the cart ... no change. Cleaning contacts ... no change ... weird. Ok, maybe the cart was somehow broken or so ... to be fair, the games are 30 years old.
Yesterday I got Wonder Boy in Monster Land. Put the cart in the slot, taken my MD pad ... what´s wrong here???? Can´t start the game with B, glitch at the start ... another broken game? What´s wrong with the people out there? Selling broken games without mentioning the issues?
But what made me wonder is, why C starts the game? The MS pad have no C Button ... well ... should it be, that ...
Ok, MD pad out, MS pad in ... and it works! Same with Bomber Raid.

I always thought, that the MD pad is 100% compatible to all MS games, but I was obviously wrong. At least these two games require the MS pad. Not the end of the world, but an unexpected and "interesting" experience.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:34 am
Indeed, some games are incompatible. There are patches sometimes to fix this incompatibility or even to support the extra buttons, if playing from an Everdrive or similar.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:16 pm
Maxim wrote
Indeed, some games are incompatible. There are patches sometimes to fix this incompatibility or even to support the extra buttons, if playing from an Everdrive or similar.

Yeah ... was probably a bit naive from me ...
Is there a 100% compatible SMS controller out there, what looks and feels more like a SMD pad?
Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:42 pm
This pad is very good, wireless, and allows you to hold a button combo to force SMS compatibility:

https://krikzz.com/store/home/52-sega-genesis-joyzz-wireless-controller.html
Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:45 pm
SavagePencil wrote
This pad is very good, wireless, and allows you to hold a button combo to force SMS compatibility:

https://krikzz.com/store/home/52-sega-genesis-joyzz-wireless-controller.html

Thx for the link. Not cheap, but probably worth the money ...
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!