SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - GG EPROM Swap - EN ROM burned onto JP cart

Reply to topic
GhaleonUnlimited
GG EPROM Swap - EN ROM burned onto JP cart
Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:03 pm
Hi all, I finally got a real SF: Final Conflict cart, and I want to burn the fan-translated EN version onto the board.

Doing this for SNES/NES/Genesis is generally pretty easy with good guides online, but I can't find anything for GG games.

Does anyone have any info on how to do this?
e.g. Which eprom to use (512kb) and how the pins match up.

I've found guides on making your own flash cart, and I guess it's possible that process could work, but I feel like there's got to be a simpler way.

I'm aware of the Mortoffgames "from scratch" PCB, but I only use the original PCBs as it feels more "real" to me, and it's a fun puzzle to solve.

I'm not educated on how this stuff works electronically, but I can solder, follow directions and troubleshoot ;)

I'd prefer fitting everything inside the cart, but if I had to have wires sticking out like the flashcart mod, that'd be OK if it's the only way.

(The GG mask rom is really small, and I haven't programmed or soldered anything that size.)

Thanks!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:14 pm
Keep in mind most GG mask roms incorporate the SEGA MMU (memory mapper unit) into the package itself. Unlike the NES which separate theirs as separate chips, you cant do a simple rom swap unless the game itself has a separate mmu chip rather than one integrated into its mask rom (Usually these games have 2 or more chips but no battery. OR, they have 3 or more with a battery). Currently I am not aware of any games on the GG that separate their MMUs from their ROMs.

Try messaging and looking into carts made by ichigobankai (a user on this forum)

He may be able to help! If you do figure something out, let us know!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:24 pm
Indeed the retrocircuits/Mortoffgames board is really your only option here apart from finding and gutting one of the few GG games with a discrete mapper.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:13 pm
There is a bit of info about making a game gear flash cart here..

https://www.smspower.org/Development/FlashCartridgeProjectsByGerryOBrien

It looks like its not quite a direct rom swap but its still doable with a bit of work. Its got the rom pinout there which may be handy
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!