Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Discord server

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Discord server
Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:53 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
https://discord.gg/ZEn8QPy

Click the above link to join our Discord server to do online chatting about SMS Power, Sega 8-bit development, and more.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:55 pm
Note that we are a preservationist website. This includes preserving all our forum discussions since the day they started, preferring attachments instead of links, and archiving some external sites. However we have not been able to archive old IRC chats and nor can we do this with Discord, being a proprietary platform.

As a result, chat is not preferred for serious discussions because it is lost quite quickly. Please consider posting on the forum for any questions that may benefit others, and for announcing things for others to comment on.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:22 pm
hrmm i want to be happy about discord but a big part of me fears it is the end of internet preservation, especially for things like classic gaming. :(

I post a lot of repair advice here and on other forums, and it would be a complete waste to do that on discord where no one can look it up later.

Im glad this place still exists, and I will continue to resist the great internet migration to proprietary walled garden platforms, even if they are convenient at times.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:58 pm
Maxim wrote
Note that we are a preservationist website. This includes preserving all our forum discussions since the day they started, preferring attachments instead of links, and archiving some external sites. However we have not been able to archive old IRC chats and nor can we do this with Discord, being a proprietary platform.

As a result, chat is not preferred for serious discussions because it is lost quite quickly. Please consider posting on the forum for any questions that may benefit others, and for announcing things for others to comment on.

segasonicfan wrote
hrmm i want to be happy about discord but a big part of me fears it is the end of internet preservation, especially for things like classic gaming. :(

I post a lot of repair advice here and on other forums, and it would be a complete waste to do that on discord where no one can look it up later.

Im glad this place still exists, and I will continue to resist the great internet migration to proprietary walled garden platforms, even if they are convenient at times.

Discord actually does keep posts created as far back as Discord's introduction in 2015. It also has a built-in system for searching for messages, if you want to look for one particular message.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:15 pm
yeah, its a terrible search mechanism, cant be searched via open web, and you cannot add replies to a post like a forum. Sorry, but it's way worse for archiving important repairs and info for classic systems.

It's good for other things, and I like it as a program. But I will resist Discord, Reddit, and similar "locked out" anti-archive ephemeral platforms as much as possible and save my expertise for longtime gaming community website places like smspower.org and similar that can't be easily shutdown or have a pay wall if a company sells its stock shares.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:16 am
The link doesn’t work
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:24 am
I made a new “infinite” link.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:30 am
segasonicfan wrote
yeah, its a terrible search mechanism, cant be searched via open web, and you cannot add replies to a post like a forum. Sorry, but it's way worse for archiving important repairs and info for classic systems.

It's good for other things, and I like it as a program. But I will resist Discord, Reddit, and similar "locked out" anti-archive ephemeral platforms as much as possible and save my expertise for longtime gaming community website places like smspower.org and similar that can't be easily shutdown or have a pay wall if a company sells its stock shares.

Sorry to be a party poopper but FYI, I wholeheartedly agree with this and left the Discord server about a year ago, since I am convinced that however attractive it may be to people for day to day operations, it isn't helping our community.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:21 am
I did join the discord server a couple of months ago... and don't use it anymore ^^
There's just way too much stuff going on.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:31 am
I happened to come across this interesting article on how to use AI to extract topics from chats:

https://towardsdatascience.com/topic-extraction-and-classification-of-online-cha...

Of course, this one is limited to classifying separate chats into topics, but maybe a variant of the idea could be employed to massage the single raw Discord chat log into separate topics, which then could be placed on search-friendly web pages. It would be error-prone, but, as long as the errors aren't too bad, it would probably make searching for information easier.

--edit--

Okay, the problem seems to be called "Conversation Thread Detection", and while there are papers describing various solutions for the problem, there doesn't seem to be any out-of-the-box solutions around.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!