Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - CHINA LCD Game Gear mod - After a couple of mins Lines and screen Buzz

Reply to topic
CHINA LCD Game Gear mod - After a couple of mins Lines and screen Buzz
Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:13 am
Last edited by mrluke on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Hi ,
I have a 837-7996 Game gear , Bought because of capicator issues to repair and use.

I done the mcwill mod ( Turned out this was a china clone )this is my second gamegear.

Before doing this i also replaced the capacitors.

After doing the mod , everything seemed fine , after a few mins of playing a game flashing lines randomly appear on the screen and also a buzz is coming from it .

And i have attached some pics.

Could this be a powerboard issue ? when i did check my original voltage it was around 4.3v

I have also done a video showing what i mean

Youtube search = z8NeegxFzPI

Many thanks
Luke

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:36 pm
4.3v is really low. the GG will probably start to have serious issues lower than 4.75v

Your power board may be struggling under the strain of the McWill board ( it takes more power than a stock system ). Were you able to power it up and play games after capacitor replacement?

Also make sure to properly clean up the leaking electrolyte using alcohol and cotton swabs. I made videos on YouTube documenting and detail how to do capacitor repairs the professional way on a Sega Game Gear:

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:20 am
segasonicfan wrote
4.3v is really low. the GG will probably start to have serious issues lower than 4.75v

Your power board may be struggling under the strain of the McWill board ( it takes more power than a stock system ). Were you able to power it up and play games after capacitor replacement?

Also make sure to properly clean up the leaking electrolyte using alcohol and cotton swabs. I made videos on YouTube documenting and detail how to do capacitor repairs the professional way on a Sega Game Gear:

Thanks , Turned out the screen i bought wasnt a "Genuine" LCD screen from mcwill and it had problems . Bought a decent mcwill in the end and all is good :D

And yes the game gear worked fine after recap and putting in the China LCD , just after a few mins it emitted lines and a buzzing sound.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!